Butch Femme Planet

Butch Femme Planet (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hobbies, Crafts, Interests (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Favourite Beer/Wine or Spirit (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1442)

Linus 05-26-2010 06:45 AM

Favourite Beer/Wine or Spirit

I'm always looking for new recommendations, particularly on spirits and beers but I think recommendations on all sorts of libations.

For me, some of my favourites:

Beer: Mill St. Organic (http://www.thebeerstore.ca/Beers/bra...ls.asp?id=1313)

Spirits:

Glen Breton Ice Whiskey (Nova Scotia)
Glenora Glen Breton Rare 10 Yr. Whiskey (Nova Scotia)
Forty Creek Barrel Whiskey (Canada)

Wine: I have no preferences.

So anyone else have recommendations/favourites?

Gemme 05-26-2010 01:18 PM

I'm not much of a drinker, but I enjoy a good blackberry Merlot from time to time. I don't drink beer or champagne at all and whiskey very, very, very rarely. Usually I partake of the fruity, frothy mixed drinks like Rum Runners, Fuzzy Navels or maybe a good Long Island Iced Tea.

Diva 05-26-2010 01:29 PM

Great thread, Linus!

I love Rieslings....there's one called "Diva"...of course, I love it! ;)
If I could afford it, I'd drink Perrier Jouette all the time....a stunning champagne.
Love Ports and Harvey's Bristol Cream over ice with lime. YUM.
On occasion, I've been known to sip on a good brandy. Key word: "GOOD".
I have come to appreciate a good Cab, as well as Merlots.

Not a fan of the Chardonnay any more.

Jet 05-26-2010 02:03 PM

Bernkastler Spatlese

Deborah 05-26-2010 02:40 PM

Wedding Cake Martini's....yummmmm, but Dude says the Vodka makes Jaqueline turn into 'Bernice':toast:

Linus 05-26-2010 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jet (Post 114791)
Bernkastler Spatlese

Uh.. what? Whazzat?

UofMfan 05-26-2010 03:09 PM

Buchanan's whiskey on the rocks or red wine.

As for the red wine, I will return with my list later.

Jet 05-26-2010 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linus (Post 114876)
Uh.. what? Whazzat?

he he...its a white German wine. A Spatlese (pronounced spot-layz)
can fall in the middle of/or be sweet or dry.

German Rieslings are categorized based on their style (levels of dryness) and the grape's ripeness level at harvest (i.e. Kabinett, Spatlese, Auslese, etc). When looking for a dry style of Riesling, the label's buzz words will be Trocken ("dry" in German) or Halbtrocken ("half-dry" in German).

Bernkastler was my favorite and its very hard to find now. Only one spirits store in Atlanta spirits shop carries it that I know of.

I like German wines best.

Bohemian Rhapsody 05-26-2010 04:00 PM

my fav

I like it simple....Bombay Blue Sapphire on ice with tonic water and lemon. yummo:hangloose:

foxyshaman 05-26-2010 04:13 PM

For the longest time I drank heavy red wines... South African and Chilean were two I really liked.

Then one day I musta got hit by a heavy object and forgot cause I am drinking white zinfandel (sp?)... hangs head in wine shame... its not even wine...its just..well fun.

I really enjoy a nice port - Mogen David is one
I love Blueberry wine from Nova Scotia (I believe or it could be NB?)
I love Saskatoon Liquer...yyuumm.... it is made in Alberta

I have never acquired a taste for beer...no matter how much I tried in my university days

I like fru fru drinks with sugar...but they don't like me

Ohhh but a very nice ice wine... expensive but what a lovely treat. 2007 saw a day time frost in central BC and they harvested and made some of the best ice wine I had tried to that date..

okay :cowboihorse: leaving now

apretty 05-26-2010 04:17 PM

abfab: eddie! they've got stoli!

vodka and i like the expensive stuff (polish, please) but i'll drink the crap stuff in a pinch--nothing a little citrus won't perk up.

Blade 05-26-2010 04:26 PM

http://shop.oldstonewines.com/

WolfyOne 05-26-2010 04:51 PM

A night of doing shots of Jose' in a pool with friends
has cured me of ever drinking hard liquor unless it's in a mixed drink

I do partake in wine from time to time
I prefer reds over whites, but like a rose' every now and then
My favorite inexpensive red is Kendall Jackson Zinfandel
Rosemount makes a good Shiraz
When I want White Zinfandel, it has to be Berringer

I even found an ice wine I liked, it's made in Canada
By Jackson-Triggs called Vidal Icewine (2007)

I recently had a Riesling I actually liked,
2007 Johannisberg V - Rheingau Riesling Kabinett
Made by Weingut Johannishof

The beer in Oklahoma sucks, so when going out of town
always have to remember to check our MGD supply
Nothing better than a good cold beer on a hot summer day

When in the mood, I've been known to drink a cooler or 3

Kenna 05-26-2010 05:01 PM

I rarely partake...but when I do, I like:

http://vendors.newjerseybride.com/db...cad/3215/1.jpg

with some
http://www.organicannie.com/images/blackberrys.jpg

Or I like sweet wines, a fruit smoothie with vodka, wine with mulling spices, or a mudslide. But on very rare occasions.

Passionaria 05-26-2010 05:29 PM

Well, I'm not big on Alcohol, but do it enjoy a bit of:

Well, first of all I was shocked to find this thread was not started by a Texan. Now that I got that off my chest I can move on.....

I am learning to love wine and look forward to some guidance in developing my palate. I do love some Spanish Tempranillo's and Merlot.

100% Agave Tequila = no nasty tummy upsetting side effects, just smooth insanity. The rest of Tequilla's are part Vodka, can you say avoid Jose Cuervo???? The brand does not matter as much a the 100% Agave!

Absinthe
Should you care to try Absinthe, Obsello is the best from my research. Many Absinthe's are Vodka, or grain alcohol with essential oils, not the way you want it. This is distilled in Spain with the alcohol from cognac before it is cured, then distilled with fresh herbs. Like the original brew.

Andrea 05-26-2010 05:45 PM

Mostly I 'borrow' Rene's Tecate but I really am not a beer drinker.

My preference at home is Barefoot Pinot Grigio. If partaking on the town, I go for a Kendall Jackson Chardonnay.

I heart tequila. Good, bad, cheap, expensive. And don't ruin it with salt or lime.

Andrea

Sachita 05-26-2010 06:15 PM

pinot noir, nice Cabernet, sometimes a nice New Zealand white
Grey Goose dirty martini's
Basil Hayden Bourbon

suebee 05-26-2010 06:23 PM

[quote=Linus;114515]
Spirits:

Glen Breton Ice Whiskey (Nova Scotia) Ahhhh - HEM! That would be CAPE BRETON, not Nova Scotia.....since the independence uprising of 1985! (you can take the girl out of Cape Breton, but.....) :)

QUOTE]

All kidding aside, I've been curious about Glen Breton. How do you compare it to other whiskeys Linus?

I hardly drink at all, except for some beer on really hot days in the summer, and maybe a glass of wine during the holidays. So as strange as it may seem, one thing I usually have around the house is a bottle of Glenlivet Scotch. It will generally last me for years, because I just sip, but it's one of those must-have luxuries.

Quote:

Originally Posted by foxyshaman (Post 114937)

I love Blueberry wine from Nova Scotia (I believe or it could be NB?)
okay :cowboihorse: leaving now

They make blueberry wine in both provinces. Unfortunately I had a "disappointing" experience in my freshman year in university, so don't partake in the ole blue stuff anymore. :|

There is a really nice blueberry beer made in Moncton, New Brunswick by Pump House Brewery. The first time I tasted it all I could taste was blueberry, but after that I made a conscious effort not to dwell on that, and it was fabulous!

Other than that, for my summer beer I usual have one of the local standards: Moosehead Light.

:mountie:

hpychick 05-26-2010 06:29 PM

Beer. I love beer. I not a fan of the real *hoppy* type of beers. But every now and then, an ice cold extra stout Guinness is lovely. I love micro-breweries. There's a place here, "The Church BrewWorks" that makes a wonderful beer called Dunkel. OMG. To. Die. For.

I guess you could say I'm a beer connoisseur. (You can laugh because it rhymes - I know I did.)

I love to get an ice cold beer and smell it first. Let its scent travel down into my nasal passages and fill me with its aroma. Then take a half mouthful and let it sit there for a few seconds. Then swallowing, feeling the coolness stream down my throat. Then...and this is my favorite part, I pick apart how the taste landed in my mouth. Where does it sit strongest on my tongue? Is there a tang to it or is it smooth? How does it feel on the insides of my cheeks, does its boldest features stay on my lips? I search out the distinct flavors, woods, berries, wheat, hops - whatever it's showcasing - I make note of it.

*phew* now that I have so enticed myself, I believe it's time for a cold one.

Linus 05-26-2010 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cybersuebee (Post 115013)

Glen Breton Ice Whiskey (Nova Scotia) Ahhhh - HEM! That would be CAPE BRETON, not Nova Scotia.....since the independence uprising of 1985! (you can take the girl out of Cape Breton, but.....) :)

Uh huh. LOL.. last time I checked it was still part of Nova Scotia. ;)

As for the whiskey, it's really good and I highly recommend it.