Butch Femme Planet

Butch Femme Planet (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The News (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=117)
-   -   Breaking News Events (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102)

Andrew, Jr. 11-05-2009 02:51 PM

Breaking News Events

Fort Hood Shooting (Texas)

7 dead
20 injured
1 in custody after shooting (unsure of multiple shooters)
Army Base that deals with the soldiers coming back from overseas duty

Andrew, Jr. 11-13-2009 04:42 PM

Alledged 9/11 Plotter to be Tried in New York

Khalid Sheikh Mohammed and 5 others from Guantanamo Bay are going to be tried in a criminal court in New York City. How do you feel about this?

SuperFemme 11-13-2009 04:45 PM

Tallest Man Unveils Largest Gingerbread Cookie

The world's tallest living man has unveiled the world's largest gingerbread man at an Ikea outlet in Norway's capital, Oslo.Guinness Book of World Recordsspokeswoman Justine Bourdariat says 8-foot-1-inch Sultan Koesen of Turkey displayed the 1,435-pound biscuit.Read the story: www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33889619

SuperFemme 11-13-2009 04:47 PM

Ring Returned to Vietnam POW 44 Years After Imprisonment

NOVEMBER 12, 2009

John Ingle, 82nd Training Wing Public Affairs

With the traditional "I do's" and exchange of wedding bands some 54 years ago on Oct. 1, 1955, James and Phyllis Hivner began their life's journey together which, like many young couples, began with not knowing what the future held.That journey was rocked 10 years later, almost to the day, when then-Capt. James Hivner and his co-pilot, 1st Lt. Thomas Barrett, were shot down Oct. 5, 1965, in their F-4C Phantom fighter-bomber over North Vietnam. About 10 minutes after ejecting from the wounded aircraft, the pair was captured by North Vietnamese militia and soon handed over to the country's regular army. By the end of the night, they were residents at the infamous Hanoi Hilton, a prisoner-of-war facility.But another voyage began that fateful day; one that gives hope for this thing called the "circle of life." It was an expedition that now-retired Col. James Hivner never expected. His original wedding ring was coming home.Just as the ring symbolizes the family the Hivners began in 1955, it also signifies the Air Force family the colonel joined in 1953. On Nov. 11, Veterans Day, people from Sheppard Air Force Base made the two-hour trip to Addison, Texas, make this a complete family event and witness the return of the ring to Colonel Hivner."This is an incredible opportunity for our young Airmen in training and our young student pilots to meet a fellow Airman warrior," said Brig. Gen. O.G. Mannon, 82nd Training Wing commander. "Colonel Hivner is a living example of executing the Code of Conduct, surviving a terrible situation and coming home. We are honored to be in his presence and be part of this very special ceremony."Back on Oct. 5, 1965, Colonel Hivner said he and Lieutenant Barrett were flying the third aircraft in a four-ship formation that was on a bombing run near the city of Kep in Southwest Cambodia. The mission was going smoothly until the aircrews made their way through a valley, setting up to offload their munitions.The first two aircraft in the formation seemed to fly through the area without resistance, the colonel said. But the lack of resistance didn't last long as flak started to appear around Colonel Hivner's aircraft."Wingman No. 4 called and said, 'Three, you're hit. You're on fire,'" the colonel recalled.He said he began to gradually climb at a smaller angle than usual to keep fuel from getting to the flames. Peering ahead at the lead aircraft, Colonel Hivner said he realized that they had missed the target, an ammunition depot. He said he adjusted his F-4C to get a correct heading on the target, and then dropped his munitions."Right as I pulled off the target, I felt another thump," Colonel Hivner said. "(Wingman 4) told us we were burning again."After the second hit, the colonel said warnings inside the aircraft started sounding and he was losing control of the Phantom. He instructed Lieutenant Barrett to get ready to eject. "By the time I said 'ready,' he was saying he was ready," he quipped.Ten minutes later, the two would be prisoners of the North Vietnamese."It turned out to be the first bad day of many bad days," Colonel Hivner said.

There was one lesson the colonel learned soon after punching out of the F-4C Phantom: never bail out of an airplane right after you drop bombs on a target.Immediately after assessing their situation, Colonel Hivner said he and Lieutenant Barrett began doing what the Air Force had taught them: escape and evade. After hearing the enemy yelling, the downed pilots began moving in the opposite direction. The colonel said they came upon a hill and thought they would successfully evade the enemy. That was until they crested the hill and saw more enemy troops headed toward them.Armed with only their wits and a .38-caliber revolver each, the colonel said they were hoping to escape, but now it turned into just staying alive."We were hoping we'd be captured, not killed," he said. "The gunfire stopped. There was a lot of yelling and screaming."The Airmen were taken to a nearby village and stripped of everything: maps, boots, weapons and dog tags. The enemy even took the colonel's symbol of love for his wife, his wedding ring."I didn't think about my ring until much later," Colonel Hivner said, adding that POWs have plenty of time to think when locked up in solitary. "I was hoping, like many of us, that when we're released, they would give us (back our) things."The colonel admitted he wasn't then, and isn't now, a "jewelry guy." The ring was important to him because of what it symbolized, he said, but he didn't need it to feel or proclaim that he's married. In fact, he said, he didn't wear the ring for the most part because of the hazards of it getting caught on something while flying.But, it was a little piece of home, a reminder of sorts, that was stripped from him."The ring is just another thing they take away from you," Colonel Hivner said. "It's part of your life they take away from you."The colonel said he kept his ring and dog tag on a metal loop, tucked inside a pocket on his flight suit. Also on the loop was a "rat fink," a little rat-looking toy his daughter had gotten out of a gumball machine before he deployed to Southeast Asia. The colonel said his daughter, 6 years old at the time, gave it to him, he recalled. He said he had to break the news to her when he returned eight years later that he did not return with the gift she had given him.Unless someone has lived in captivity, it's difficult to understand the emotions that go along with it, the colonel said. Still, today, Colonel Hivner dreams about his years as a POW, some good and some, obviously, bad."Yes, I was tortured. Yes, I was beaten. Yes, it was Hell," the colonel said. "But, I like to focus on the brighter things."The former POW said that that philosophy is one way he was able to survive his ordeal. He said he always had a penchant for looking at the brighter side, being a jokester and being able to laugh. He used that skill to combat falling into a mental world that was almost as dark and dank as the cells in which he stayed.He shared one story about how the POWs communicated since they were usually in a small cell by themselves and very rarely, in the early going, allowed to knowingly communicate. The colonel said they communicated by tapping on the cell wall, similar to using Morse code or an old-style telegraph.It occurred at Camp Skid Row, Colonel Hivner said. All camps had names. Some had multiple names. Skid Row was a long building with very small cells. There was a small hole in each door, large enough to see a 10-foot wall just outside. The colonel said the view tended to get to the POWs after a while.One evening, he said he tapped out "G.N., G.B." -- good night, God bless -- to a fellow POW next to him. Although there was no verbal communication, the colonel said he could tell something wasn't right."I got to the point to where I could sense how someone was feeling by how they tapped," Colonel Hivner said. "So I asked, 'are you OK?' He replied, 'I'm feeling mighty low,' or something to that effect."The colonel said he tried to figure out a way to make this fellow servicemember feel better from his tiny cell, probably not measuring any bigger than 12-by-12 feet. After thinking about it for a while, the colonel tapped the first thing that came to mind: "Going out for a pizza. What do you want?""He replied, 'anything but anchovies,'" he recalled. "It was very special to me because I didn't know this guy."Several years later, Colonel Hivner said he met the unknown POW. He said his last name was Waggoner and that his new friend told him how that simple gesture saved his life at that point."That was great," the colonel said. "That really helped.Seven-and-a-half years. 2,687 days. Eight Christmases. Eight birthdays. Eight wedding anniversaries. These were all things stolen from Colonel Hivner while he lived as a prisoner of war, primarily at the Hanoi Hilton, but at other camps in North Vietnam, including Skid Row.The Vietnam War did end for many American Airmen, Soldiers, Sailors and Marines. Many of them returned with their military units. Some returned on the infamous Freedom Bird, the aircraft that carried American POWs home. For years they thought of two things: survival and home.Colonel Hivner said he knows a lot of former POWs who made the trip back to Vietnam to see where they spent days, months and years wondering when, or if, they would ever go home. The colonel said he has never had the desire to revisit the place that stripped away missed memories of seeing his 6- and 8- year-old daughters grow into 14- and 16-year-old young women."I didn't leave anything there that I needed to go back for," he said.The colonel was glad to be home, glad to come back together as a family and glad to continue on the lifelong journey with his first love, Phyllis.Although the colonel came home, his wedding ring, dog tag and the rat fink from his daughter didn't make it. But, the Hivners purchased another wedding ring to replace the one lost in Vietnam. It now sits in a jewelry box, the colonel said. After all, he said, he's not a "jewelry man."It's rare that fate deals you a bad blow but then makes amends later in life. Colonel Hivner was shot down over a hostile area and was imprisoned for nearly eight years. He lost just about everything that he had and knew, including his wedding ring. The colonel got a new ring. He said it almost looks like his original one.A stranger from South Texas, though, was about to do something that was never expected. It was almost too impossible to expect.Rick Tolley, a retired U.S. Navy commander from San Antonio, came into possession of the colonel's original wedding ring and dog tag. The rat fink didn't make the voyage back. He started research on the whereabouts of Colonel Hivner and discovered he was still alive, living north of Dallas-Fort Worth.Because it was so farfetched, when he heard, Colonel Hivner said he wasn't sure if he should believe the story or not."I was skeptical at first," the colonel said once he was contacted by Commander Tolley. Commander Tolley provided some insight to the ring's mysterious journey from Southeast Asia to South Texas and ultimately to the colonel. He said his former son-in-law was working in Vietnam when he was approached by a retired Vietnamese army soldier. "He told John that he was cleaning out his desk and found these items," Commander Tolley said of the ring and dog tag. Also on the metal loop was a small cross. "(The soldier told him) if he would take on this mission of finding (the former POW) and return them in peace and respect, he would let him have them."The former son-in-law agreed to return the items and contacted Commander Tolley Oct. 15 on Facebook. The commander said he accepted the challenge of finding Colonel Hivner, and, soon after, located him through the Internet.Commander Tolley agreed that he initially thought finding Colonel Hivner was going to be like finding the proverbial needle in the haystack ... if the needle even existed. But, that didn't stop him."There was that feeling," he said, "but because of what it was and because I know about the history of the war, I was bound and determined to find him or his family."Colonel Hivner said he had no doubt who the ring's owner was after seeing a picture of the inside of the ring. Engraved inside his ring is his wife's initials and the date they were married.The colonel said the missing ring didn't change their lives, and he didn't expect its re-emergence to change it now. That, however, doesn't mean he wasn't appreciative or surprised at the fact that his original wedding ring and dog tag made their journey home 44 years after the darkest chapter in his life began."The never ending line is a circle," the colonel explained, adding that his wedding ring symbolizes his never ending love for his wife. "It's very special to me. I'm anxious to actually see the ring ... to look inside there with my tired old eyes and see the inscription."Commander Tolley personally returned the ring and dog tag to Colonel Hivner during a meeting Nov. 11 at the Cavanaugh Flight Museum that was witnessed by family, friends and members of the Air Force family from Sheppard Air Force Base.

MsDemeanor 11-13-2009 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew, Jr. (Post 4820)
Khalid Sheikh Mohammed and 5 others from Guantanamo Bay are going to be tried in a criminal court in New York City. How do you feel about this?

I think that it's about damn time that Gitmo prisoners were given their day in court. I have serious doubts about any court in NYC being able to find twelve impartial jurors, though. Is there anyone in the city who wasn't somehow impacted by the event? Even people who lived elsewhere at the time are probably impacted.

Andrew, Jr. 11-13-2009 07:58 PM

MsDemeanor,

I agree with your post. I think it will be next to impossible to get a jury of 12 people in NYC that are impartial to the attacks. Plus spending money for their safety/security.

Queerasfck 11-13-2009 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperFemme (Post 4821)
Tallest Man Unveils Largest Gingerbread Cookie

The world's tallest living man has unveiled the world's largest gingerbread man at an Ikea outlet in Norway's capital, Oslo.Guinness Book of World Recordsspokeswoman Justine Bourdariat says 8-foot-1-inch Sultan Koesen of Turkey displayed the 1,435-pound biscuit.Read the story: www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33889619

Good reporting here!!! From one uni to another!

MsDemeanor 11-13-2009 10:13 PM

It's not exactly "breaking", since the story is from last week, but three cheers to Will Phillips, a ten year old who refuses to stand and say the pledge of allegiance at his school while the country discriminates against gay people.

linkyloo

:clap:

SuperFemme 11-13-2009 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EzeeTiger (Post 4949)
Good reporting here!!! From one uni to another!

one cannot go wrong mixing height and gingerbread.

wonder twin powers, activate!

Greyson 03-08-2010 12:34 PM

The California State Senator officially came out of the closet today during a radio interview with a conservative woman talk show host in Kern County.

Senator Ashburn is the person that was arrested after leaving a gay nightclub, Faces, in Sacramento last week.

Unfortunately or fortunately this is not the first time nor most likely the last time a queer identified person has worked against the human rights of LGBTQ people.

The latest on California politics and government

March 8, 2010
Sen. Roy Ashburn: 'I'm gay'
Republican Sen. Roy Ashburn, who has been on leave from the Senate since his DUI arrest last week, confirmed today that he is gay.

"I'm gay," Ashburn told KERN radio host Inga Barks in an interview this morning. "Those are the words that have been so difficult for me for so long."

Ashburn's announcement follows reports that Ashburn was leaving a gay club before he was arrested for driving under the influence last week.

The Bakersfield Republican, who has consistently voted against gay-rights measures, said his votes were a reflection of how the majority of voters in his conservative district would have wanted him to vote.

Ashburn, who is divorced, has been on personal leave in the Senate since last week's arrest. He is expected to return today.

SuperFemme 03-08-2010 12:56 PM

Major Christian group: Sea World death result of ignoring Bible

Most whale experts have said the tragic death of Sea World trainer Dawn Brancheau was the result of a killer whale kept too long in captivity that had killed before and should not have been allowed to continue performing shows in the first place.The American Family Association, an influential Christian group, has a somewhat different explanation. In a post to the group's Web site last week, one of the group's spokesman explained the incident as a failure of Americans to follow Biblical teaching.

"Chalk another death up to animal rights insanity and to the ongoing failure of the West to take counsel on practical matters from the Scripture," wrote Bryan Fischer, the group's official blogger.

Fischer quoted two passages from Exodus. The first, Exodus 21:28, states: “When an ox gores a man or woman to death, the ox shall be stoned, and its flesh shall not be eaten, but the owner shall not be liable.”

By the reasoning of Fischer, America should be governed by Biblical law. If it were, then Tilikum, the killer whale responsible for Brancheau's death, should have been stoned to death after the first time he killed someone.

Greyson 03-11-2010 07:47 PM

Okay, not exactly hard news. I just heard on CNN that Anderson Cooper will be interviewing Chaz Bono tonight and talking about his transition. Not sure if it has played on the East Coast yet. Most likely if you miss it, can find it on the CNN website or YouTube.

Will be on tonight at 10 pm eastern time, 7pm PST.

UofMfan 03-18-2010 02:45 PM

My Sundays just got a little better. I know, not major news, but I do have a thing for Christiane.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_504697.html

Apocalipstic 03-18-2010 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UofMfan (Post 69354)
My Sundays just got a little better. I know, not major news, but I do have a thing for Christiane.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_504697.html

I really like her too! :)

Tommi 03-18-2010 03:26 PM

ACTION ALERT: Sit-in in Pelosi's office NOW - help us GetENDA!

Dear friends,

Nancy Pelosi has the ability to end workplace discrimination of LGBTQ people, but she is refusing to act. It's time to let her know that we won't wait any longer.

As you read this, GetEqual.org members are entering Pelosi's offices in DC and her district office in San Francisco. They won't leave until Speaker Pelosi commits to bring the Employment Non-Discrimination Act to the floor for a vote this month - or until they are arrested.

GetENDA Screen Capture http://org2.democracyinaction.org/di...eSPt8Np5lYXR7j

Check out this video from the group in San Francisco, and call Speaker Pelosi's office. http://org2.democracyinaction.org/di...nzGt8Np5lYXR7j

Speaker Pelosi needs to hear from our community today. Can you call Speaker Pelosi right now to demand that ENDA (HR 3017) move to the floor for a vote? (202) 225-4965

After you call, please click here to tell us about it, even if you get a busy signal or can't get through. http://org2.democracyinaction.org/di...NSgYlTkrAN3eg3

A majority of Congress supports this bill to stop job discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity, but promises to bring it to a vote last fall were broken several times. ENDA has been jammed up in committee for six months, awaiting a signal from Speaker Pelosi that hasn't come. We have visited, called and written Congress by the thousands, and have been ignored. The usual lobbying tactics do not appear to be having the needed effect. Now the midterm elections are coming, and Speaker Pelosi has promised Congress no more "controversial" votes. The "controversy" is whether LGBT Americans have the right to a job. This "tyrrany of the majority" must stop. Nonviolent direct action is relevant and needed and it's happening now.

ENDA is important because studies show that LGBT workers endure high unemployment, underemployment and harassment. We have to lie and hide in order to get and keep a job. In 30 states across America, there is no law against firing someone based on his or her sexual orientation, and the same is true in 38 states for gender identity. Ask Police Officer Michael Carney of Springfield, Massachusetts, who testified before Congress about the harassment he had to endure in the station house before being fired. Ask Vandy Beth Glenn of Atlanta, Georgia, who told Congress about being fired from her job as a proofreader with the Georgia legislature because she is transgender. This has gone on long enough.

If you want more information on Speaker Pelosi's position, and the demand that she move ENDA forward, you can find it here. http://org2.democracyinaction.org/di...l8vt8Np5lYXR7j

Will you join with us in demanding that lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people be protected from job discrimination?

Call Speaker Pelosi's office at (202) 225-4965 to ask that ENDA (HR 3017) move forward to a vote. Be polite, but firm. Take action now, and please let us know how it goes. http://org2.democracyinaction.org/di...2NW98Np5lYXR7j

As President Obama himself said, quoting Frederick Douglass: "Power concedes nothing without a demand." We know Speaker Pelosi is sympathetic to our cause, but is she ready to act on our civil rights? It is time for a demand.

-Jillian Weiss and the GetEQUAL crew

GetEQUAL logo https://org2.democracyinaction.org/o...icon-black.gif

Greyson 03-22-2010 01:15 PM

I am beginning to think "States Rights" is being used as a code word that translates into people currently in power, at the top of the food chain feeling very threatened. (I will not be explicit in saying what group is at the top of the heap.)

Since Obama became the President of the USA seems like many of my fellow Americans have become very concerned about "States Rights." However when it serves in the interest of their agenda, not a word about the Federal Government inserting its power in areas that are traditionally left to the discretion of State Government. Thinking about DOMA as a case in point.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...=nl_pmpolitics

States launch lawsuits against healthcare plan

Reuters
Monday, March 22, 2010; 1:21 PM

CHICAGO (Reuters) - Less than 24 hours after the House of Representatives gave final approval to a sweeping overhaul of healthcare, attorneys general from several states on Monday said they will sue to block the plan on constitutional grounds.

Republican attorneys general in 11 states warned that lawsuits will be filed to stop the federal government overstepping its constitutional powers and usurping states' sovereignty.

States are concerned the burden of providing healthcare will fall on them without enough federal support.

Ten of the attorneys general plan to band together in a collective lawsuit on behalf of Alabama, Florida, Nebraska, North Dakota, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Texas, Utah and Washington.

"To protect all Texans' constitutional rights, preserve the constitutional framework intended by our nation's founders, and defend our state from further infringement by the federal government, the State of Texas and other states will legally challenge the federal health care legislation," said Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott, in a statement.

The Republican attorney generals say the reforms infringe on state powers under the Constitution's Bill of Rights.

Virginia Attorney General Kenneth Cuccinelli, who plans to file a lawsuit in federal court in Richmond, Virginia, said Congress lacks authority under its constitutional power to regulate interstate commerce to force people to buy insurance. The bill also conflicts with a state law that says Virginians cannot be required to buy insurance, he added.

"If a person decides not to buy health insurance, that person by definition is not engaging in commerce," Cuccinelli said in recorded comments. "If you are not engaging in commerce, how can the federal government regulate you?"

In addition to the pending lawsuits, bills and resolutions have been introduced in at least 36 state legislatures seeking to limit or oppose various aspects of the reform plan through laws or state constitutional amendments, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures.

So far, only two states, Idaho and Virginia, have enacted laws, while an Arizona constitutional amendment is seeking voter approval on the November ballot. But the actual enactment of the bill by President Barack Obama could spur more movement on the measures by state lawmakers.

As is the case on the Congressional level, partisan politics is in play on the state level, where no anti-health care reform legislation has emerged in Democrat-dominated states like Illinois and New York, according to the NCSL.

Florida Attorney General Bill McCollum, a Republican candidate running for governor, said the mandate would cost Florida at least $1.6 billion in Medicaid alone.

All states would receive extra funding to cover Medicaid costs that are expected to rise under the reform, including 100 percent federal coverage for new enrollees under the plan through 2016.

Medicaid is the healthcare program for the poor jointly administered by the states and federal government.

(Reporting by Karen Pierog, additional reporting by Michael Connor in Miami, Jonathan Stempel in New York, Joan Gralla in New York, Lisa Lambert in Washington and Michael Peltier in Tallahassee; Editing by Andrew Hay)

AtLast 03-22-2010 01:27 PM

I think you may be right, Greyson!

The GOP is fixated on regaining power in the Congress and bringing Obama down. And it is all based in R-A-C-I-S-M!! His election has unleashed the true state of white privilege in the US. Wait until immigration reform is in the limelight, again.

This country may have passed Civil rights legislation, but, not much has really changed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greyson (Post 71455)
I am beginning to think "States Rights" is being used as a code word that translates into People currently in power, at the top of the food chain feeling very threatened. (I will not be explicit in saying what group is at the top of the heap.)

Since Obama became the President of the USA seems like many of my fellow Americans have become very concerned about "State Rights." However when it serves in the interest of their agenda, not a word about the Federal Government inserting its power in areas that are traditionally left to the discretion of State Government. Thinking about DOMA as a case in point.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...=nl_pmpolitics

States launch lawsuits against healthcare plan

Reuters
Monday, March 22, 2010; 1:21 PM

CHICAGO (Reuters) - Less than 24 hours after the House of Representatives gave final approval to a sweeping overhaul of healthcare, attorneys general from several states on Monday said they will sue to block the plan on constitutional grounds.

Republican attorneys general in 11 states warned that lawsuits will be filed to stop the federal government overstepping its constitutional powers and usurping states' sovereignty.

States are concerned the burden of providing healthcare will fall on them without enough federal support.

Ten of the attorneys general plan to band together in a collective lawsuit on behalf of Alabama, Florida, Nebraska, North Dakota, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Texas, Utah and Washington.

"To protect all Texans' constitutional rights, preserve the constitutional framework intended by our nation's founders, and defend our state from further infringement by the federal government, the State of Texas and other states will legally challenge the federal health care legislation," said Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott, in a statement.

The Republican attorney generals say the reforms infringe on state powers under the Constitution's Bill of Rights.

Virginia Attorney General Kenneth Cuccinelli, who plans to file a lawsuit in federal court in Richmond, Virginia, said Congress lacks authority under its constitutional power to regulate interstate commerce to force people to buy insurance. The bill also conflicts with a state law that says Virginians cannot be required to buy insurance, he added.

"If a person decides not to buy health insurance, that person by definition is not engaging in commerce," Cuccinelli said in recorded comments. "If you are not engaging in commerce, how can the federal government regulate you?"

In addition to the pending lawsuits, bills and resolutions have been introduced in at least 36 state legislatures seeking to limit or oppose various aspects of the reform plan through laws or state constitutional amendments, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures.

So far, only two states, Idaho and Virginia, have enacted laws, while an Arizona constitutional amendment is seeking voter approval on the November ballot. But the actual enactment of the bill by President Barack Obama could spur more movement on the measures by state lawmakers.

As is the case on the Congressional level, partisan politics is in play on the state level, where no anti-health care reform legislation has emerged in Democrat-dominated states like Illinois and New York, according to the NCSL.

Florida Attorney General Bill McCollum, a Republican candidate running for governor, said the mandate would cost Florida at least $1.6 billion in Medicaid alone.

All states would receive extra funding to cover Medicaid costs that are expected to rise under the reform, including 100 percent federal coverage for new enrollees under the plan through 2016.

Medicaid is the healthcare program for the poor jointly administered by the states and federal government.

(Reporting by Karen Pierog, additional reporting by Michael Connor in Miami, Jonathan Stempel in New York, Joan Gralla in New York, Lisa Lambert in Washington and Michael Peltier in Tallahassee; Editing by Andrew Hay)

Corkey 03-22-2010 01:31 PM

Our states AG is one of those racists who are filing that lawsuit. He doesn't come up for re election for another 3 years, in the mean time he is screwing our state out of badly needed health care. Too long to wait to remove the asshat. So going to write the bastard. Can one tell I'm fuming?

Greyson 03-22-2010 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corkey (Post 71464)
Our states AG is one of those racists who are filing that lawsuit. He doesn't come up for re election for another 3 years, in the mean time he is screwing our state out of badly needed health care. Too long to wait to remove the asshat. So going to write the bastard. Can one tell I'm fuming?

Indeed. I thought I saw fumes bouncing off of my computer monitor. Maybe we should go watch the Womens Basketball Playoffs with Toughy? Looking for the Blood Pressure cuff, now!

Corkey 03-22-2010 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greyson (Post 71465)
Indeed. I thought I saw fumes bouncing off of my computer monitor. Maybe we should go watch the Womens Basketball Playoffs with Toughy? Looking for the Blood Pressure cuff, now!

LOL thanks I needed the laugh, found our cuff, gonna have a beer first to bring my bp back to acceptable levels :shocking: