Butch Femme Planet

Butch Femme Planet (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/index.php)
-   Building Community On Butchfemmeplanet.com (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Valentines Day how do you celebrate it?? (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6285)

morningstar55 02-06-2013 10:48 PM

Valentines Day how do you celebrate it??

ok i wasn't quite sure how to word the title for this thread....
but here is some thoughts......
Dutch and I are going to be heading out for a nice dinner outing for Valentines day .... tomorrow ( Thursday) . a week early I know due to my job and all.
so I brought up , that a lot of restaurants have Valentines dinner deals.
Dutch thinks that sounds all fine and all.. BUT .... wonder's if we will have a problem being eligible to get a Valentines special , in what ever public restaurant. I would like to think we shouldnt have a problem.
Dutch is reminding me .... we are in Iowa.... but we will be in des monies.
i think most likely we are just going to order what we want with out any Valentines special thing......

any thoughts on this ???

LaneyDoll 02-06-2013 10:54 PM

Well, Riley and I live four hours apart. Add to that, he does not really celebrate holidays.

So, I will send him a gift (because that is what I like to do) and I will spend the day with my kids :)

In the past, I have always attended a masked, erotic art exhibit that is a fundraiser for Rape Response. It is really cool. Lots of lovely artwork, people dressed in everything from jeans to tuxedos, tarot readers, jazz musicians, belly dancers-all under one roof.

But, it is held on the Sunday before Valentine's Day so it is not really a "day of" celebration.

:sparklyheart:

morningstar55 02-07-2013 02:39 PM

sooo no one has had any problems/ experiences good or bad in a public restaurant to celebrate Valentines or what ever ???

MaggieBluIze 02-07-2013 03:10 PM

Hey Morningstar ...

I live in the Austin area, which is super gay friendly.

I can say that I never had a problem using or doing a "couples" thing.
A couple is a couple ... A date is a date ... It's never treated as something different.

Most times we've just said, "'We're going to have the Valentine's special" and nothing more.

I'm so happy you are going to be able to celebrate.
This is one of my favorite holidays. I tend to go all out.
It breaks my heart that it's going to be a solo run this year.

Have a blast ... Be a couple ... Be who you are ... Make it a night you will always remember!!!!

feminality 02-07-2013 06:11 PM

Not understanding the question

Quote:

Originally Posted by morningstar55 (Post 744698)
sooo no one has had any problems/ experiences good or bad in a public restaurant to celebrate Valentines or what ever ???

What kind of Problems are you looking to find ?? If your coupon or special deal is for Valentines day then NO you're Probably not going to have it honored ...If you're talking about the Gay Couple thing ... again you said it your self ... You're in Iowa ... where it's legal to marry your same sex partner ... So again No your probably not going to have any trouble

Guy 02-07-2013 07:23 PM

I know if Valentines Day falls mid-week as it does this year, restaurants will usually run the special for three days after the holiday since it is the weekend.

I doubt they would be prepared to honor it the week before.

The_Lady_Snow 02-07-2013 07:47 PM

Hmmm...

Quote:

Originally Posted by morningstar55 (Post 744443)
Dutch and I are going to be heading out for a nice dinner outing for Valentines day .... tomorrow ( Thursday) . a week early I know due to my job and all.
Dutch thinks that sounds all fine and all.. BUT .... wonder's if we will have a problem being eligible to get a Valentines special , in what ever public restaurant. I would like to think we shouldnt have a problem.
i think most likely we are just going to order what we want with out any Valentines special thing......

any thoughts on this ???

I don't think they are going to want to honor a holiday the week before because the specials are a set menu, if you guys are celebrating early you could always call wherever you are going make a reservation, have them set it up with flowers and balloons and go ahead make it your special time a week before everyone else. Maybe if you call ahead and inquire they would oblige. Good luck!

nycfem 02-07-2013 07:49 PM

We went to an Indian restaurant that had a special Valentine's Day dinner one year. Usually places just want the money, I believe (at least in NYC!). We were considered amusing, I'd guess, lots of smiles at us, which was fine. I kind of had to specify at the beginning that we were a Valentine's couple because they tried to seat us as a non-Valentine's Day dining guests (in a different section of the restaurant that didn't have heart decorations on the table). A little awkwardness and then "ohhhh" :).

This year we are going to another Indian restaurant, the one we went to on our very first date ever, and I think they get the deal with us. We get sly smiles and general kindness whenever we go there, usually for special occasions, which is all good. I requested seating for us at the table we sat at on that first date. What's embarrassing about that is that it happens to be the table closest to the bathroom, so I think it causes some questions when I say, "Please reserve us the table closest to the bathroom." I think that's more embarrassing than the gay issue!

We could choose a gayer restaurant, but we can't help loving Indian food, so we join a mainly straight crowd for Valentine's Day :).

femmeInterrupted 02-11-2013 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nycfembbw (Post 744861)

We could choose a gayer restaurant, but we can't help loving Indian food, so we join a mainly straight crowd for Valentine's Day :).

You need to come to Toronto! :) There's an awesome Indian restaurant right in our 'gay village/ghetto' on Church Street. So you get a great queer vibe along with outrageously yummy Vindaloo and Aloo Gobi! ;)

SweetJane 02-11-2013 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morningstar55 (Post 744443)

any thoughts on this ???

I think Lady Snow is right. Call ahead and ask for a Valentine's special. Most restaurants just want business.... Even if you kids went out on Valentine's Day in a big city, I don't think either one of our will have eyebrows lifted because of the strong butch-femme ID you both have. Just make sure the reservation is in Dutch's name as Dutch. In a place like Santa Fe, no one bats an eye here. Good luck and have a blast!

thedivahrrrself 02-11-2013 04:23 PM

Even in Oklahoma I've never had any trouble being recognized as part of a couple. No need to worry about problems until they actually arise.

MsTinkerbelly 02-04-2014 04:50 PM

Going camping at a lake just up the road from our new place...it's great that we have so much to do here.:hangloose:

C0LLETTE 02-04-2014 05:23 PM

I join a dating site and hope for the best.

DMW 02-04-2014 05:38 PM

Very carefully

Venus007 02-05-2014 04:48 AM

Very sexy evening, I am working 12 hours and she is working 8 hours then we are picking her elderly mom up from the rehab facility where her dad is staying then making dinner and going to bed.
Tah Dah!!!!!! Reel in envy at our wild cosmopolitan lifestyle

easygoingfemme 02-05-2014 08:23 AM

Valentines happens to fall when we're already planning to be at a three day music/dance festival. I'm threatening to make him take a romantic waltzing class with me on Friday night. Which I think he is secretly more interested in than I am.

KayCee 02-05-2014 08:36 AM

We're planning on spending the afternoon at a nearby Spa and having some good food and wine at their lounge. Maybe some massages too..we'll see..

Katniss 02-05-2014 09:08 AM

A different kind of conversation heart....

I have a Valentine's tradition that started when my daughter was a toddler.

Every Jan. 31st I cut out a large heart on paper and write "(kiddo's name), I love you because you are....." and tape it to her bedroom door. Then every night until Feb. 14th I cut out another heart shaped piece of paper and write something I love about her and tape it to her door while she is sleeping. I try and use different colors and patterns of paper and by Feb. 14th her door is covered in beautiful Valentines that remind her how special she is to me and how much she has to offer the world.

What is so neat is as of last year she has been doing the same to my door. I love this special and non-commercialized way to celebrate the holiday.

Katniss~~

KayCee 02-05-2014 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katniss (Post 888939)
I have a Valentine's tradition that started when my daughter was a toddler.

Every Jan. 31st I cut out a large heart on paper and write "(kiddo's name), I love you because you are....." and tape it to her bedroom door. Then every night until Feb. 14th I cut out another heart shaped piece of paper and write something I love about her and tape it to her door while she is sleeping. I try and use different colors and patterns of paper and by Feb. 14th her door is covered in beautiful Valentines that remind her how special she is to me and how much she has to offer the world.

What is so neat is as of last year she has been doing the same to my door. I love this special and non-commercialized way to celebrate the holiday.

Katniss~~

This is such a special and sweet idea!

C0LLETTE 02-05-2014 09:45 AM

Oh Valentines is such a circumstantial celebration. I remember when my daughter's school stopped obliging kids to celebrate Father's Day because so many kids didn't have fathers. I guess I feel a bit like that about Valentines Day... lol.... oh, and sigh.