Butch Femme Planet

Butch Femme Planet (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Fluffy Stuff: Flirting, Humor, Chat (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Fears/Phobias? (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6551)

Girl_On_Fire 05-02-2013 09:25 PM

Fears/Phobias?

What are you afraid of? Public speaking, tight spaces, spiders? Here's the place to discuss your fears and phobias...if you dare. ;)

StrongButch 05-02-2013 09:27 PM

Fear

I do not like snakes. I dont care what anyone says im not touching that damn thing. TY

JustBeingMe 05-02-2013 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StrongButch (Post 792675)
I do not like snakes. I dont care what anyone says im not touching that damn thing. TY

I second that motion and raise it one by adding that the only good snake is a dead one and I don't care what kind of snake it is either.

always2late 05-02-2013 09:38 PM

I'm afraid of heights. Well...actually afraid is a bit mild, I have full-blown panic attacks. The strange thing is, I love roller coasters, and have no problem on them, no matter how high they are, but it is only recently that I was able to force myself to ride escalators. And I can only step on the down escalator if I'm not looking down. I can't climb high ladders without starting to shake, or look over the side railings of staircases, and when driving across a bridge I have to be on the inside lane and white knuckle it until I'm across. But...I have no trouble flying and love to sit in the window seat on planes. My fear of heights is totally bizarre and arbitrary and without logic or reason.

Katniss 05-02-2013 09:44 PM

I fear one thing and one thing only....any kind of harm coming to my child. I once read having a child is like letting your heart walk around outside your body. This is so true.

If I were to list a second fear it would be to cause another harm. Especially in a vehicle accident, etc.

Katniss~~(as to snakes, heights, speed, heartbreak, etc.....bring it!)

Massive 05-02-2013 09:44 PM

1. Crane Flies
2. Heights
3. Losing the ability to take care of myself.

Gráinne 05-02-2013 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by always2late (Post 792684)
I'm afraid of heights. Well...actually afraid is a bit mild, I have full-blown panic attacks. The strange thing is, I love roller coasters, and have no problem on them, no matter how high they are, but it is only recently that I was able to force myself to ride escalators. And I can only step on the down escalator if I'm not looking down. I can't climb high ladders without starting to shake, or look over the side railings of staircases, and when driving across a bridge I have to be on the inside lane and white knuckle it until I'm across. But...I have no trouble flying and love to sit in the window seat on planes. My fear of heights is totally bizarre and arbitrary and without logic or reason.

I don't feel so alone or illogical!

*Love roller coasters, but down escalators or super steep up ones make me search for the elevator (which I also don't like, but dislike the least?). It's only been in the last few months that I can do a down escalator at all.

*Hate bridges, ladders, narrow cliffs (hard when most of your rocks are on cliffs), narrow stairs, stairs with the back of the step knocked out so it's just the step.

*Balloons. I don't like it when they pop. I can't stand next to a carnival game with balloons of any kind. I forbid anyone to bring a balloon in my house.

*I think the balloon thing is related to my fear of explosions and loud noises. Even in a movie, when there's a threat of an explosion (nearly any action movie, anything with gasoline, fire, etc.) I'm plugging my ears and whimpering in my seat like a puppy until explosion all gone. Needless to say, this limits the movies I'll watch.

*Mushrooms. I can be around mushrooms in the store, but start to get antsy around the ones with big caps. But out in the wild, forget it. I will go to any length to go around a mushroom, or to avoid sitting on a log with fungus on it.

always2late 05-02-2013 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gráinne (Post 792694)
I don't feel so alone or illogical!

*Love roller coasters, but down escalators or super steep up ones make me search for the elevator (which I also don't like, but dislike the least?). It's only been in the last few months that I can do a down escalator at all.

*Hate bridges, ladders, narrow cliffs (hard when most of your rocks are on cliffs), narrow stairs, stairs with the back of the step knocked out so it's just the step.

*Balloons. I don't like it when they pop. I can't stand next to a carnival game with balloons of any kind. I forbid anyone to bring a balloon in my house.

*I think the balloon thing is related to my fear of explosions and loud noises. Even in a movie, when there's a threat of an explosion (nearly any action movie, anything with gasoline, fire, etc.) I'm plugging my ears and whimpering in my seat like a puppy until explosion all gone. Needless to say, this limits the movies I'll watch.

*Mushrooms. I can be around mushrooms in the store, but start to get antsy around the ones with big caps. But out in the wild, forget it. I will go to any length to go around a mushroom, or to avoid sitting on a log with fungus on it.

Ohhhh...those stairs! I know just the kind you mean (I call them hollow stairs). Ugh!

Girl_On_Fire 05-02-2013 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by always2late (Post 792684)

It could be a sensory processing thing. You seem to be okay with heights when you're strapped in but not when you're in control. Believe it or not, that makes sense to me.

always2late 05-02-2013 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Girl_On_Fire (Post 792699)
It could be a sensory processing thing. You seem to be okay with heights when you're strapped in but not when you're in control. Believe it or not, that makes sense to me.

You may be right....I've noticed that when I'm sitting it seems to be less of a problem than when standing. Who knows? Maybe the processing area of my brain is just a tad off when it comes to heights and height perception.

Girl_On_Fire 05-02-2013 10:12 PM

Mine:
  • Hornets/Bees - (I can't stand the buzzing sound. Arrgh!)
  • House Centipedes - (The way these things move is just unnatural!)
  • Being Questioned - (I pretty much go all wide-eyed and mute when someone questions me. It's a trigger.)
  • Driving on Highways - (Sensory processing thing.)

girl_dee 05-03-2013 04:57 AM

places with a lot of people, i feel like they are sucking the air out and the walls are going to implode

being in the back of a building.. i always check to see where exits are

Velvetkitten 05-03-2013 05:27 AM

Spiders...I don't care how small YOU think it is to me it's the size of a tarantula(which I had fall on me once in my car..yes jumped out of a moving vehicle tvm)..please take it outside...

Heights but depends

Tight spaces like tunnels especially underwater ones...trust me you don't want to be a passenger as I am driving through the tunnel from Logan airport in Boston.. Passenger: Did that speed limit say 45? ME: Umm No It's 80

Clowns..No Thanks

But snakes, bugs or snarling animals bring it on...

Semantics 05-03-2013 05:29 AM

Getting a paper cut in my eye.

It could happen, it's possible, although I worry over it way more than is necessary considering the likelihood.

femm_cb 05-03-2013 07:28 AM

The heeby jeebies

Living in Florida, my biggest fear is aligators and snakes. :blink:

When my son came to visit me last summer, he wanted to go to Gatorland Zoo. I had to put my big girl panties on and take him. But before I walked into the park, I took a xanax to calm me down. True story!

Daktari 05-03-2013 10:58 AM

Big things in the sea. I won't name them because then I'll be thinking of them

Heights - sitting or standing. Standing is worse though and have had some scary bouts of vertigo in beautiful places :|

Snakes

All totally irrational.

Ascot 05-03-2013 11:22 AM

I'm with Daktari re. big things in the sea. When something unseen bumps my leg it freaks me the hell out. Having said that, it doesn't keep me out of the water; it just propels me quickly out should an encounter occur.

Miss Scarlett 05-03-2013 11:23 AM

I've got several. A couple years ago a special friend helped me conquer a major one. That gave me the strength and determination to decide to face the others and conquer them too as they surface or I have the opportunity...

always2late 05-03-2013 11:42 AM

In addition to my sporadically bizarre fear of heights that I've already posted about....I have another totally irrational fear. Sharks. I've never encountered a shark (outside of an aquarium...and we won't go into the problems I caused in the "shark tunnel" at Seaworld), however, the fear is so real to me that when I go swimming in a pond, lake, river, or stream....I make sure someone else goes in first (my theory being that the shark will get them first...and then I'll know not to go in LOL). And yes...that is totally irrational behavior, because I'm even compelled to do it in bodies of water where my rational, logical mind insists that it is impossible for a shark to exist there. Doesn't matter...the illogical, lizard brain takes over. And I NEVER swim in the ocean....ever (which grieves me because I LOVE the ocean).

Rockinonahigh 05-03-2013 11:43 AM

Snakes and spiders poping up out of the blue can cause a panic attack,but if I see then first I can deal with them for the most part.High places,the higher I get the worse my vertago gets...people who startle me suddenly will kick in flight or flight defence with me that can get then a telling off, I haven't punched anyone out over it...yet.real close tight places...I have an MRI comeing up Thursday so loud music and breathing exersises usely work.