Butch Femme Planet

Butch Femme Planet (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Fluffy Stuff: Flirting, Humor, Chat (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   What are you reading? (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1589)

Daktari 03-17-2014 02:36 PM

Sane New World: Taming the Mind - Ruby Wax (going to see her speak on mindfulness and brain science in 3weeks as a result of this book)

The Brain that Changes Itself; Stories of Personal Triumph from the Frontiers of Brain Science - Norman Doidge (the book that inspired Wax to go back to education and get her Masters degree from Oxford)

anaisninja 03-17-2014 02:37 PM

Still struggling through "The Celestine Prophecy."

deathbypoem 03-20-2014 01:20 PM

Freakonomics :)

*Anya* 03-20-2014 01:53 PM

As an introvert, just started reading and finding it very interesting. Review from Amazon

Quiet: the power of introverts in a world that can't stop talking

By Susan Cain.

"At least one-third of the people we know are introverts. They are the ones who prefer listening to speaking, reading to partying; who innovate and create but dislike self-promotion; who favor working on their own over brainstorming in teams. Although they are often labeled "quiet," it is to introverts that we owe many of the great contributions to society--from van Gogh’s sunflowers to the invention of the personal computer.

Passionately argued, impressively researched, and filled with indelible stories of real people, Quiet shows how dramatically we undervalue introverts, and how much we lose in doing so. Taking the reader on a journey from Dale Carnegie’s birthplace to Harvard Business School, from a Tony Robbins seminar to an evangelical megachurch, Susan Cain charts the rise of the Extrovert Ideal in the twentieth century and explores its far-reaching effects. She talks to Asian-American students who feel alienated from the brash, backslapping atmosphere of American schools. She questions the dominant values of American business culture, where forced collaboration can stand in the way of innovation, and where the leadership potential of introverts is often overlooked. And she draws on cutting-edge research in psychology and neuroscience to reveal the surprising differences between extroverts and introverts.

Perhaps most inspiring, she introduces us to successful introverts--from a witty, high-octane public speaker who recharges in solitude after his talks, to a record-breaking salesman who quietly taps into the power of questions. Finally, she offers invaluable advice on everything from how to better negotiate differences in introvert-extrovert relationships to how to empower an introverted child to when it makes sense to be a "pretend extrovert."

Wrang1er 03-20-2014 02:07 PM

The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson.

homoe 03-24-2014 03:29 PM

Remember Me by Syd Parker

Some parts of this book I really enjoyed, other parts not so much~

StillettoDoll 03-24-2014 04:32 PM

I am reading Whole its the follow up book of the China Study

http://www.veggiesandme.com/wp-conte...w649_h432).jpg

Corkey 03-24-2014 06:59 PM

"Athens" from ancient ideal to modern city "A History"
by Robin Waterfield.

Medusa 03-24-2014 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Medusa (Post 899852)
Just started "Ozark Magic and Folklore" by Vance Randolph

Wanted to report back that this was actually a really good read!!

I just started on "Civility in the Digital Age:How Companies and People Can Triumph over Haters, Trolls, Bullies and Other Jerks"
by Andrea Weckerle

I'm only 20 pages into it but it is a fascinating read so far!

candy_coated_bitch 03-24-2014 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by *Anya* (Post 900683)

By Susan Cain.

"At least one-third of the people we know are introverts. They are the ones who prefer listening to speaking, reading to partying; who innovate and create but dislike self-promotion; who favor working on their own over brainstorming in teams. Although they are often labeled "quiet," it is to introverts that we owe many of the great contributions to society--from van Gogh’s sunflowers to the invention of the personal computer.

Passionately argued, impressively researched, and filled with indelible stories of real people, Quiet shows how dramatically we undervalue introverts, and how much we lose in doing so. Taking the reader on a journey from Dale Carnegie’s birthplace to Harvard Business School, from a Tony Robbins seminar to an evangelical megachurch, Susan Cain charts the rise of the Extrovert Ideal in the twentieth century and explores its far-reaching effects. She talks to Asian-American students who feel alienated from the brash, backslapping atmosphere of American schools. She questions the dominant values of American business culture, where forced collaboration can stand in the way of innovation, and where the leadership potential of introverts is often overlooked. And she draws on cutting-edge research in psychology and neuroscience to reveal the surprising differences between extroverts and introverts.

Perhaps most inspiring, she introduces us to successful introverts--from a witty, high-octane public speaker who recharges in solitude after his talks, to a record-breaking salesman who quietly taps into the power of questions. Finally, she offers invaluable advice on everything from how to better negotiate differences in introvert-extrovert relationships to how to empower an introverted child to when it makes sense to be a "pretend extrovert."

Totally just bought this for my kindle! As an extreme introvert, this topic fascinates me to no end. I will report back. :glasses:

mythy 03-25-2014 01:59 AM

Reading

Ernie Shuflebottom, guide to playing dominos.

(and how to cheat reet sneaky like)

cinnamongrrl 03-25-2014 05:01 AM

I am beginning.....

The American Transcendentalists: Essential Writings....

this group of great thinkers from the 1800s discussed (and championed) many causes of the day. Things that still affect us....in some form or another....to this day.

environment
civil rights
government
religion

Im eager to get my teeth into it :)

Sparkle 03-25-2014 05:23 AM

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

Kätzchen 03-27-2014 08:00 PM

The Shadow of the Wind
~ Carlos Ruiz Zafón

http://textpublishing.com.au/static/...jpg?1393427028

Here is a partial book review, by another reader:

A mystery story, a fairy tale, a love story (actually several love stories), a passion for literature, a treatise on politics, a bawdy tale, with love, hate, courage, intrigue, loss of innocence, humor, cowardice, villainy, cruelty, compassion, regret, murder, incest, redemption, and more. Add to this delicious mixture characters who come alive, and whose thoughts and feelings you will feel deeply. What a great pleasure to discover; an extraordinary first work, one which towers over the endless and repetative volumes which inhabit today's "Best Seller" lists. Read it, and become hypnotized.

candy_coated_bitch 03-27-2014 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by candy_coated_bitch (Post 901509)
Totally just bought this for my kindle! As an extreme introvert, this topic fascinates me to no end. I will report back. :glasses:

I am about 1/3rd of the way through this book and I am SO glad I bought it. I love that the book has a lot of research in it, and also stories and interviews from real people. I think the author treats the subject of what makes introverts tick, and how introverts have underrated strengths well.

I will continue to devour it...

amiyesiam 03-27-2014 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by *Anya* (Post 900683)

By Susan Cain.

most excellent book, she also has a TED talk

Medusa 03-28-2014 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Medusa (Post 901483)
Wanted to report back that this was actually a really good read!!

I just started on "Civility in the Digital Age:How Companies and People Can Triumph over Haters, Trolls, Bullies and Other Jerks"
by Andrea Weckerle

I'm only 20 pages into it but it is a fascinating read so far!

This one turned out to be pretty decent. Definitely some good tips!

I just started "Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistlestop Cafe" by Fannie Flagg. I read it years ago and, of course, love the movie but I wanted to give this one a reread.
I forgot how charming it was!:blueheels:

Talon 03-30-2014 05:08 PM

Definitely not light reading...yet quite facinating.

The Biology of Transcendence: A blueprint for the human spirit

by Joseph Chilton Pearce

Greco 03-30-2014 05:37 PM

info

"the sociopath next door"
by Martha Stout, Ph.d.

Chilling to say the least, and vitally important clarifications.
A must read.

Greco

okieblu 03-30-2014 10:51 PM

Making Money-Terry Pratchett

His work is just a hoot.