Butch Femme Planet

Butch Femme Planet (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Fluffy Stuff: Flirting, Humor, Chat (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   What are you reading? (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1589)

Medusa 07-15-2014 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by femmepacker (Post 918137)
Just downloarded this on my kindle, anyone read it. It is long, looks like it is a commitment for a week or so.

Curious to know what you thought of this! I finished it a few weeks ago and loved it! Listened to it on audiobook.

ProfPacker 07-15-2014 07:37 PM

I loved it too. I loved how she started it at the end and then weaved it into the story. It was very sad and tragic. I couldn't put it down once I started it. I can't remember the name of her first book but it keeps on coming up as something I would like on my kindle. Might give it a go. You?

clay 07-23-2014 08:41 AM

I got an "early" birthday gift of a new Nook HD+ with a 10" screen and a gift card.
I saw a preview of a new series of 3 books by Meredith Wild....similar to 50 Shades of Grey".
It is the Hacker Series....Hardline....Hardwired....Hardpressed.... (can't remember what order they go in...lol...I am on very first book....Hardline.

puddin' 07-26-2014 06:13 AM

"11-22-63", s. king

Daktari 07-26-2014 06:40 AM

Just finishing up Tracks by Robyn Davison...started ages ago and then I stopped reading for a while as is my wont.

Looking forward to starting Oscar: The Bionic Cat by Kate Allan and/or The Fry Chronicles, St.Stephen's most recent foray into autobiography

Kätzchen 07-26-2014 07:29 AM

Last week, I checked out a book from the library which is turning out to be quite an interesting read. It's a compilation of short stories written by Maeve Brennan, whose short stories were featured many moons ago, in The New Yorker.

Ms. Brennan's prose is rich with more than ordinary glimpses into life in her homeland of Ireland. The title of the book: "Springs of Affection."

From the back of the book:

Maeve Brennan left Ireland for America in 1934, when she was seventeen. In 1949 she joined the staff of The New Yorker, to which she contributed reviews, essays, and short stories. Her acclaimed works include "The Visitor," "The Rose Garden," and "The Long-winded Lady." She died in 1993.

Interestingly, I just learned that The New Yorker just released an archive of literature, from nearly the same time period. I am enjoying this book, immensely.

Charmingbutch21 07-27-2014 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by traumaqueen (Post 921456)
The Tale of the Dueling Neurosurgeons: The History of the Human Brain as Revealed by True Stories of Trauma, Madness, and Recovery.

By Sam Kean

I read another book of his a couple years ago, The Disappearing Spoon: And Other True Tales of Madness, Love, and the History of the World from the Periodic Table of the Elements... most excellent!

I've been reading this alongside my neuroscience class this semester, it's been quite fun.

Traumaqueen: Have you read 'My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey' by Jill Bolte Taylor?

It's fascinating.

Charmingbutch21 07-27-2014 07:26 AM

Currently reading: "Opening Up" by Tristan Taormino

Kobi 08-12-2014 03:50 PM

Unpacking Queer Politics - Sheila Jeffreys

Bunch of free, downloadable vintage radfem works can be found here.

*Anya* 08-12-2014 04:05 PM

The Girl with all the Gifts by M.R. Carey.

My daughter turned me onto it. A real surprise.

cinnamongrrl 08-12-2014 05:34 PM

Greenhorns by Paula Manalo

Synopsis:

A community of more than 5000 young farmers and activists, the Greenhorns are committed to producing and advocating for food grown with vision and respect for the earth. This book, edited by three of the group's leading members, comprises 50 original essays by new farmers who write about their experiences in the field from a wide range of angles, both practical and inspirational. Funny, sad, serious, and light-hearted, these essays touch on everything from financing and machinery to family, community building, and social change.

Very interesting book about novice farmers who, for the most part, have no previous or familial background in farming. They learn by trial and error and the generous help of their community. :)

puddin' 08-16-2014 06:40 AM

"If I Stay" and "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time" (don't have me kindle near so can't remember the authors, but good reads both o' them!)

ONLY 08-16-2014 06:43 AM

Don't know if I should admit this :blush: but ......."S.E.C.R.E.T. Revealed" by L. Marie Adeline (it is the 3rd book and newest I believe of a series)

cinnamongrrl 08-24-2014 08:26 AM

The Adventures of Henry Thoreau by Michael Sims

It's basically a biography about H.D. Thoreau's childhood. I found the first chapter very choppy and disjointed. But I kept reading and it's as though the author either 1. had the first chapter written by someone else or 2. finally got a compass and found his way.

I've only just begun, but it is very interesting to see what fueled the fire of this man.

Venus007 08-25-2014 03:20 AM

"Children and Household Tales or Grimm's Fairy Tales Volume 1" by Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm
These are the real, bloody, scary tales not the sweetened up watered down Disney versions.
I am loving them although some are disturbing.

puddin' 08-26-2014 06:38 PM

jus' finished da last book in the " tristaine" trilogy. i enjoyed it.

halfway through "a spot of bother", by mark hammond. int'restin' read...

BestButchBoy 08-30-2014 03:46 PM

"Devil in the White City" by Erik Larson

Fancy 09-04-2014 09:07 AM

Women's Bodies, Women's Wisdom: Creating Physical and Emotional Health and Healing
Christine Northrup, M.D.

....and on the lighter side....

rereading Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver

I think I should reread this book every year in the early Spring. It's been a true guide and inspiration. :glasses:

deathbypoem 09-04-2014 12:17 PM

http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1405623434l/6539539.jpg

cinnamongrrl 09-04-2014 02:43 PM

A Tree Grows in Brooklynn by Betty Smith...

I know this is a favorite assignment for English teachers. I'm not sure how Ive avoided it this long....I've just begun it (my employers told me I can read anything of theirs during down time...so Im enjoying different things) but I do like it thus far. Wonderful imagery describing a bygone Brooklyn