Butch Femme Planet

Butch Femme Planet (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Fluffy Stuff: Flirting, Humor, Chat (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   What are you reading? (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1589)

Cailin 03-28-2015 08:37 PM

i love reading this page and seeing everything that everyone is reading... it makes me happy and sad simultaneously. Happy because I love finding out about new books, and sad because i can't read a damned one until this semester is done.

PaPa 03-28-2015 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cailin (Post 980637)
i love reading this page and seeing everything that everyone is reading... it makes me happy and sad simultaneously. Happy because I love finding out about new books, and sad because i can't read a damned one until this semester is done.

I am so with you on that one!! Just a couple months to go...It seems now that I have my Master's and am continuing my education they have dumped the reading on me....It seems I am doing two books per month per class!! I have also noticed that since I am getting older I am not reading as quickly as I used to due to my eyesight.

deathbypoem 04-01-2015 10:42 AM

https://cdn3.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/M4T...ck-cover.0.jpg

A book from one of my Favorite Chefs Sean Brock "Mind of a Chef"!!

Liam 04-01-2015 08:16 PM

Just started Jack Kerouac's The Haunted Life and Other Stories.

Kobi 04-02-2015 07:06 PM

Women who kept the lights : an illustrated history of female lighthouse keepers / Mary Louise Clifford, J. Candace Clifford.

Danger and loneliness were common themes in the lives of 140 women lighthouse keepers in the United States from 1776 to the mid-20th century. Most were appointed to succeed a deceased husband or father, and most appear to have borne the risks with fortitude and outright heroism. While the challenges and duties these women faced were similar, the authors have captured the uniqueness of each woman's experience.

Liam 04-04-2015 09:15 PM

Consumed, a novel by David Cronenberg.

cinnamongrrl 04-11-2015 08:27 PM

I'm back to non fiction.

I just started Eleanor of Aquitaine: A life

By Alison Weir

I read the preface and her writing seems kinda flowery. I don't mind that fro
The great poets...but with biographies, I prefer some straight shooting...so I may not stick with it..time.will.tell

nycfem 04-11-2015 08:28 PM

Interesting. I hope you'll report back.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cinnamongrrl (Post 983346)
I'm back to non fiction.

I just started Eleanor of Aquitaine: A life

By Alison Weir

I read the preface and her writing seems kinda flowery. I don't mind that fro
The great poets...but with biographies, I prefer some straight shooting...so I may not stick with it..time.will.tell

Massive 04-12-2015 06:25 PM

I've just started to reread the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Stephen Donaldson again, I finally managed to get all of the books he has, three sets of three, with one more to come. I'm also reading some Alice Borchardt novels, based around the fall of the Roman empire about a young woman who is also a wolf, for those who have never heard of her, she was Anne Rice's older sister. I much prefer Alice to Anne. I am also reading Russell Brands book Revolution too.

C0LLETTE 04-12-2015 08:38 PM

Mindfulness for Dummies

Cailin 04-12-2015 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaPa (Post 980646)
I am so with you on that one!! Just a couple months to go...It seems now that I have my Master's and am continuing my education they have dumped the reading on me....It seems I am doing two books per month per class!! I have also noticed that since I am getting older I am not reading as quickly as I used to due to my eyesight.

I'm counting down the days!! :) 1 more month to the day. I can almost feel myself able to breathe. I have such a list, not to mention magazines that are stacking up. I feel some "all nighters" coming my way this summer.

cinnamongrrl 04-13-2015 04:19 AM

I've also begun reading 1776 by David McCullough...for.when Eleanor of Aquitaine becomes too dry. Plus, I just love that era in history. And I hear good things about Mr. McCullough.. This will be the first book of his that I read.

dark_crystal 04-13-2015 05:37 AM

Schismatrix Plus by Bruce Sterling

deathbypoem 04-16-2015 12:17 PM

http://84d1f3.medialib.glogster.com/...62/grayson.jpg

Got this from the Library yesterday. Looks to be a really interesting read. :)

"
This captivating bestseller tells the true story
of a miraculous encounter between a teenaged girl
and a baby whale off the coast of California.
It was the dark of early morning; Lynne was swimming
her last half mile back to the pier after a long
workout when she became aware that
something was swimming with her.
The ocean was charged with energy as if a
squall was moving in; whatever it was felt large
enough to be a white shark coursing beneath her body.
In fact, it was a baby gray whale following alongside her.
Lynne quickly realized that if she swam
back to the pier, the young calf would follow
her onto shore and die from collapsed lungs.
On the other hand, if Lynne didn't find the
mother whale, the baby would suffer from
dehydration and starve to death. Something so enormous
--the mother whale would be at least fifty feet long
--suddenly seemed very small in the vast Pacific Ocean.
How could Lynne possibly find her?
This is the story--part mystery, part magical tale--of what happened."

Kätzchen 04-16-2015 11:53 PM

Lately I've been reading primarily extensive work-related materials, which can be time consuming.

But I recently read an interesting article in The Journal of American Medicine, concerning wage differentials among nursing professionals. The troubling aspect in that short study revealed that male nurses were often better compensated vs their female counterparts. Not sure what to think about the data presented in the study, but it's a harsh reminder that women are not receiving equitable treatment and are marginalized in what has typically been anchored by an predominant female work force (body of labor).

Reference:
J.A.M.A., March 24/31, 2015, vol. 313, issue 12, pp., 1265.

Canela 04-17-2015 12:05 AM

Loosening the grip...for class...
Isaiah 53, for me,
Concurrently...

homoe 05-11-2015 03:15 PM

I just finished reading two books that made my blood boil! Extortion and Throw Them All Out by Peter Schweizer (yes, he's the author of Clinton Cash too)

These tell about the wheeling and dealings that politicians make that are 100% legal for THEM but should the average Joe do them, they'd wind up in jail!

randrum 05-11-2015 05:25 PM

I finished Red Rising by Pierce Brown yesterday. So good! Probably my favorite book so far this year.

I'm starting The Accident by Chris Pavone today.

Talon 05-11-2015 05:49 PM

Brilliant....

"Black Mass" by Dick Lehr and Gerard O'Neil

"The true story of an unholy alliance between the FBI and the Irish Mob"

bright_arrow 05-11-2015 11:27 PM

'Departure' by A.G. Riddle.

It's been less than two weeks and in this time I've read:

The Lion, The Lamb, The Hunted by Andrew Kaufman
Twisted by Andrew Kaufman

On my list to read are:

Last Train to Istanbul by Ayse Kulin
Life of Pi by Yann Marten