Butch Femme Planet

Butch Femme Planet (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Butch Zone (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Butch as an umbrella of presentations (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5638)

Fanbutch 09-11-2012 12:38 PM

Butch as an umbrella of presentations

Do you feel that butch is a single way to act and dress, or a grouping of ways?

aishah 09-11-2012 12:41 PM

what do you think?

girl_dee 09-11-2012 12:44 PM

Yes, tell us what you feel.

Lady Pamela 09-11-2012 12:45 PM

In my opinion,
The answer to that question is certainly not if butches are being compared to each other.
And the answer is yes if they are being compared to a femme...of course

Butches come in all forms,styles, and dispositions.

People may personally define BUTCH seperately depending on personal prefrence.
But that does not make other styles or forms of Buth any less valid.

Just saying.

Fanbutch 09-11-2012 12:54 PM

To be honest, I'm mostly asking because I feel like a butch, but I worry others would not define me that way. I love using the word "butch" to describe my gender as well as sexuality, but I have several characteristics that would, if going by the standard definition, contradict this identity. For example, I love bright colours and often wear them, am a total mush for rom coms, and tend to giggle and jump around when excited (which is frequently). But I also bind, and feel uncomfortable when my appearance is too feminine.
If butch is an umbrella term, I'd fall under it. But if it's more solid and unalterable, I probably wouldn't.

The_Lady_Snow 09-11-2012 01:02 PM

Ay Dios Mio!!

:|

Tony 09-11-2012 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Lady_Snow (Post 651830)

Haha Lady! I was sorta feeling the same but prolly for a different reason.

Gráinne 09-11-2012 01:11 PM

Only you define who you are. It doesn't matter what "they" say you are, or what a butch is, or anything. There's a real freedom when you decide not to listen to the "thems" in your head.

KayCee 09-11-2012 01:13 PM

To be or not to be, that is the question! lol...

ps: Idk..is it just me..I'm kinda receiving strange vibes here...AGAIN!

Bard 09-11-2012 01:15 PM

Quote:

thinking the same think when I first saw the thread but I figured I was just being a jerk :canoworms::canoworms:

dreadgeek 09-11-2012 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fanbutch (Post 651826)
To be honest, I'm mostly asking because I feel like a butch, but I worry others would not define me that way. I love using the word "butch" to describe my gender as well as sexuality, but I have several characteristics that would, if going by the standard definition, contradict this identity. For example, I love bright colours and often wear them, am a total mush for rom coms, and tend to giggle and jump around when excited (which is frequently). But I also bind, and feel uncomfortable when my appearance is too feminine.
If butch is an umbrella term, I'd fall under it. But if it's more solid and unalterable, I probably wouldn't.

Many years ago, when the world was young, a crusty old butch gave me some great advice which was this: 'butch is a label, wear the label don't let the label wear you'. I took that to mean that I shouldn't ever let myself be constrained by the idea that I can't do 'X' because 'butches don't do X'. The things I do, alpha geek that I am, are butch because *I* am doing them. That means that if I get giddy as a schoolgirl because Steven Pinker or David Sloan Wilson have just released new books, so be it I'm still a butch getting excited because two of her favorite authors have new work out. If it means getting into high-nerd happiness because I just saw something interesting in my telescope or the vet let me go to the backroom to look at the sample they took from my dog, then butches do that as well.

If you wear bright colors then butches wear bright colors because you identify as a butch and do so. While there's a spectrum of butch such that in most circles, if a group of people 'in the life' were to walk into a room and someone said "woo! look at that butch over there!" everyone would probably look in the same direction there is a point, ineffable as it might be, where people wouldn't look at the woman wearing a dress with her hair coiffed like she'd just stepped off a 1940s film noir set. What that point is, I don't know but as a practical matter it exists because we all have some idea of what the other person means when they use the word 'butch'.

You are butch because you identify yourself as a butch. The things you do are butch because you are doing them. Butch is just a label, wear the label proudly, don't let the label wear you.

Cheers
Aj

firegal 09-11-2012 01:20 PM

Quote:

My favorite show! I have the dvd collection!

Thanks for making me laugh OUT LOUD! at work...:hangloose:

SugarFemme 09-11-2012 01:36 PM

I was thinking EXACTLY the same thing. I hate the fact that we have to feel "en guard" right now.

Quote:

Toughy 09-11-2012 02:24 PM

this poor kid picked the wrong day to start a thread like this........laughin...

Aj said it very well with this statement:

Quote:

You are butch because you identify yourself as a butch. The things you do are butch because you are doing them.
Who ever said bright colors are not worn by butch folk....looking in my closet....mmmmm.........only 2 white dress shirts and a whole bunch of dress shirts of many different colors and probably 40 ties to match all those colors.....

I giggle. I cry. I laugh. I can act like a fool.

I do not like or feel comfortable in feminine clothing.....lace, frills, short skirts, prom dress, gown.....I will not say that an article of clothing without legs (a skirt/sarong/kilt) is strictly for girls cuz I know some Maori and Scottish men who would kick my ass up into next week.

I do not bind

It makes me nuts when folks are afraid to say they are butch just because they have and express their emotions or because they pick a particular style of clothing....

CherylNYC 09-11-2012 02:40 PM

Quote:

Hello Fanbutch, and welcome. One of the butchest butches that ever walked the earth was a huge fan of bright colours. In fact, it was rare for Woody to wear anything other than bright colours. If you want to see a picture of Woody wearing something very bright and gay to match her rainbow mohawk, look up 'dyke' in Wickipedia. Yes, my good friend Woody was so butch that they illustrated the word 'Dyke' with a picture of her leading the NYC Pride Parade down 5th Ave on her vintage /6 BMW. We all miss her terribly, but it's nice to visit her inspiring photo on Wickipedia. Woody also looked great in a tux, and she could rock the heck out of a seersucker suit.

I hope you aren't too confused by the seemingly odd answers that some of the other Planeteers posted in response to your question. You showed up just as a very annoying person with a fake ID, who took up a tremendous amount of attention with her pestering questions, was being shown the door. One of the queries from the false poster sounded a bit like your innocent and legitimate question.

Once again, welcome.

CherylNYC 09-11-2012 02:57 PM

Drat! I just revisited Woody's infamous Wikipedia pic, and she's wearing a black tank top. What you can't see is her pair of awesome rainbow shorts. I know she was wearing them because I have so many other pics of her from that day that show her bright clothing. She loved her neon coloured tailcoat, and the crayola cummerbund that looked so good under her leather tailcoat.

Anywho, I'm with Aj and Toughy. Be who you are, and do as you please. No one else gets to tell you how to be you.

Kobi 09-11-2012 04:10 PM

Quote:

Ok what is a rom com?

aishah 09-11-2012 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kobi (Post 651943)

Ok what is a rom com?

romantic comedy. also know (*cringe*) as a chick flick.

Kobi 09-11-2012 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aishah (Post 651945)
romantic comedy. also know (*cringe*) as a chick flick.

Oh ok. I was thinking like comic-com for romulans.

ruffryder 09-11-2012 05:01 PM

ayyy dios mio, santa maria, y nino! hehe.

hello Fanbutch. Are you a fan of butches? There is lots of threads here regarding butches. I say start there! Butches is definitely a grouping of different ideas and folks! :)