Butch Femme Planet

Butch Femme Planet (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fine Wine: Folks Over 50 (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   Makeup recommendations for older faces? (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5797)

Dance-with-me 10-06-2012 08:00 AM

Makeup recommendations for older faces?

Any recommendations for makeup (especially foundations) and skin care routines for older skin and its wrinkles, creases, inelasticity, etc?

I've worn bare minerals for years but it's clear that a powder-based foundation is just not working for my now 53 year old face!

lusciouskiwi 10-06-2012 08:22 AM

Hey DWM, I've used her skin care products and the reviews of her make-up seem to be good, but what I like most of all about http://www.cosmeticscop.com/ are the reviews she does on different products, from make-up to skin care.

Miss Scarlett 10-06-2012 08:32 AM

L'Oreal has some really good products for women of various ages. At one point i used Signature Club A products by Adrienne Arpel - sold on HSN. They are very good and very moisturizing. i did find them heavy for my skin because of the moisturizers...sort of like the old Max Factor Panstick.

i used to use Bare Minerals but switched over to L'Oreal's mineral makeup several years ago and it still works well for me.

For cleansing and moisturizing i've been using some Mary Kay for oily skin. But in the past i used a face wash by L'Oreal...they have several. i like their products (it's the same company as Lancombe.)

What you use will depend on your skin type. i've got combination and can get away with using just plain old soap like the Dial i use in the shower...makes me chuckle because i am reminded of that Cathy cartoon where she spent a small fortune on stuff for her face but ended up using deodorant soap in the shower...

Olay and L'Oreal both have excellent products for skin renewal and they're not too expensive.

Hope this helps.

Duchess 10-06-2012 09:05 AM

I completely understand what you're going through. :)

~When it comes to foundation for wrinkled skin, less is better. Try a lightweight hydrating liquid or cake formula.
~Concentrate more on improving the texture of skin with peptide based skincare.
~Check out Skin Firming Concentrate and Rosa Artica Moisturizer by Kiehl's. Use the SFC as your serum.
~Remember to use a good SPF. The sun depletes collagen and darkens discolorations.

Good luck!!!

Duchess

Gráinne 10-06-2012 09:31 AM

I too know of what you speak ;)

I had my skin analyzed at a Clinique counter, and I've never been happier than with their products :). Your skin tends to get dryer as you age. If you were oily and breakout-prone as a teenager, this is good news! You may not be able to use astringents or harsh cleansers on your thinner skin. I use a gentle wash and toner, then a moisturizer and eye cream at night. Your skin care routine is crucial.

Don't neglect your neck! That's where the years show up first, before the face. And always massage a moisturizing cream upwards, not pulling downwards. The same goes for your, um, decollatage, knees, feet and elbows. In fact, your entire body might need something richer with winter coming on (assuming you're in the Northern Hemisphere).

As for makeup, I've found I can't use powders as much as I used to-they "settle". Harsh colors and garish eyeshadows make you look silly at best and are aging. I've found a light touch with less makeup, not more, works well.

Dance-with-me 11-05-2012 12:34 AM

Can anyone recommend a lipstick/gloss that is long-lasting and bleed resistant, but that will also not make my lips feel super dry? Major bonus points for something that can be purchased from a standard drugstore, since there are no stores with the high-end lines anywhere close to me and I'd love to get one tomorrow.

Chancie 11-05-2012 03:59 AM

You might be looking for a more finished look but I use Burt's Bees. I don't wear a lot of makeup though I occasionally use a BB cream. I wear glasses and I can't wear contacts, so I don't wear much eye makeup. I am fair, and sometimes I darken my eyebrows.

My hair is pretty high maintenance, with color touch ups every six weeks and that includes my very grey roots and streaks of color. My stylist trims it every few months. I have long wavy hair and I don't straighten or curl it. It usually ends up twisted up by second period!

pinkgeek 11-05-2012 04:55 AM

Revlon makes a lip stain that goes on with a brush then has a gloss to go over it. It lasts fairly long. The super last lip glosses are going to come from high end stores unfortunately. I think some drug stores have a "return no matter what" policy so if it sucks take it back and try another.

Cheers!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dance-with-me (Post 692410)
Can anyone recommend a lipstick/gloss that is long-lasting and bleed resistant, but that will also not make my lips feel super dry? Major bonus points for something that can be purchased from a standard drugstore, since there are no stores with the high-end lines anywhere close to me and I'd love to get one tomorrow.

Daktari 11-05-2012 05:56 AM

For improving older skin texture and condition I recommend Daktari's Snake Oil. A blend of argan, apricot kernel and avocado oils.

For old or young hair I recommend pure argan oil.

A very much older lady, who looked amazing, once told me to moisturize often. Not just morning and night but through the night if you get up to pee etc.
I can vouch for the advice. :|

Yeah some of us chaps like to look after our aging skin too :cheesy:

Sorry can't offer any tips on make-up :|

meridiantoo 03-02-2013 05:07 AM

So glad I found this thread...

I am really excited to have found this thread. I am in my early 40s, noticing changes in my skin, and trying to revamp my makeup and general grooming product stash. What worked 5 years ago no longer does, so I need to start finding new stuff.

I find that using a face and eye primer especially helps my face to appear more youthful, less wrinkled, and the makeup to last a lot longer. Anyone else use them?

I apply my foundation with a damp makeup sponge and find this provides the most natural look as opposed to using my finger.

Also, my eyelids are falling giving me hooded eyelids, which requires more effort and artistic makeup application.

I am also not sure if trying to appear too youthful is a faux pas at this point. You know, blue nail polish, hot pink makeup, stuff like that. Any comments, experiences?

I found a great makeup artist on youtube who does makeup application tips, product reviews, etc. He's awesome and a cutie bug to boot:

This is a random video I posted just to give you an idea of what he does.

Thanks for this thread!

:1femme:

meridiantoo 03-02-2013 05:30 AM

I also wanted to get feedback on eye products for wrinkles, lack of collagen, dark circles, etc.

I am thinking of trying products and wanted to know if anyone has used them?

see picture...http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/...psa53e2f3a.jpg

Has anyone tried this product or any collagen/retinol eye mask? Was it effective or a waste of money?

I also bought this product about 2 weeks ago and am wondering if anyone has tried it?

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/...ps6daffa45.jpg

It's SK-II Whitening Derm Brightener. It's supposed to even skin tone and moisturize.

meridiantoo 03-02-2013 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dance-with-me (Post 669424)
Any recommendations for makeup (especially foundations) and skin care routines for older skin and its wrinkles, creases, inelasticity, etc?

I've worn bare minerals for years but it's clear that a powder-based foundation is just not working for my now 53 year old face!

I tried bare minerals and it's just too cakey for me or maybe I am applying it incorrectly, but I switched to a good oil-free foundation because even though I have older skin issues, I am innately oily-skinned and acne-prone (mix between Mary Kay full-coverage and Secret Agent. I really like the Secret Agent because you can choose colors based on undertone - cool (pink/blue) or warm (yellow/gold)). MAC also has NC and NW varieties of foundation, though they are more expensive.

Watch the makeup artist video guy. He reviews the most popular liquid foundations both lower- and high-end brands.

Good luck!

meridiantoo 03-02-2013 05:57 AM

Perricone Products

One last post before I head for dreamland....

Has anyone tried Perricone skin products? Any reviews? Worth the money or not?

Thanks for anything you can add :bow:

morningstar55 03-02-2013 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duchess (Post 669461)
I completely understand what you're going through. :)

~When it comes to foundation for wrinkled skin, less is better. Try a lightweight hydrating liquid or cake formula.
~Concentrate more on improving the texture of skin with peptide based skincare.
~Check out Skin Firming Concentrate and Rosa Artica Moisturizer by Kiehl's. Use the SFC as your serum.
~Remember to use a good SPF. The sun depletes collagen and darkens discolorations.

Good luck!!!

Duchess

morning Duchess...... i am taking notes, I know you been a makeup artist for sometime now :) ty

uncommondialogue 03-02-2013 07:08 AM

Some favorites

I love a lot of the M. AAsam face products. Two in particular I adore are theVino Gold Tinted Dat Cream and Perfect Teint II used together. The Perfect Tein smooths lines sooooooooooooooooooooo good and I mix it with the Tinted Dat cream.

Argan oil products are great and I too use a lot of Signature Club A products.

The best eyebrow pencil I have used is YBF Automatic Eye Brow Pencil and the best mascar is benefit's they're Real!

Don't forget ladies.....moisurize, moisturize, moisturize *W.

Here's a hint that really works well...if still shaving legs with a razor...we all have some old hair conditioners we just didn't like or use anymore and it is great to use for shaving legs and much cheaper than expensive gels and foams etc for that.

Sweet Bliss 03-08-2013 07:21 AM

Morning Ladies and Gents...

Anyone tried the face exercises? I picked up a book at a yard sale, haven't used the techniques yet.

Any suggestions?

Miss Scarlett 03-08-2013 07:56 AM

I've used so many different makeups over the years. The Signature Club A is very good especially if you have dry skin. I used Bare Minerals and loved it but it's expensive. So I switched to L'Oreal's mineral makeup and love it! The only drawback is finding my color.

It would be nice if cosmetics companies would offer affordable sample sizes so we don't end up with a collection of things we can't use. Though I have been known to blend my own foundation colors.

Apocalipstic 05-18-2013 02:31 PM

I really am working on finding my way too.

I also have been using bare minerals, but its starting to settle in my wrinkles.

I find less is more as I age (50 in a few weeks), but wearing some color helps. A pink cheek and pink gloss rather than the nude I used to wear seems to help.

I can't wear liner under my eyes much and I love false eyelashes but my hands hurt really bad applying them. So its just for special when I have time to rest between eyes.

My eyelids are sagging too, so I brush a bit darker shade where the crease should be to give depth.

I wear less makeup than I ever have now, by far.

I do, however, need a good under eye cover that does not make my dark circles and bags look even worse.

Great topic!

VintageFemme 05-18-2013 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miss Scarlett (Post 763698)
It would be nice if cosmetics companies would offer affordable sample sizes so we don't end up with a collection of things we can't use. Though I have been known to blend my own foundation colors.

You can always go to Sephora [a free standing shop or one in a JCP store] and get three free samples of anything. Foundation included. If the consultant assisting you is kind, she will fill that little sample jar full and if you are using a brush, it will last you quite awhile. More than enough to let you know if you like it. But you can get them to sample out anything, perfumes, make up, skin care, etc. I don't think Ulta gives samples.. do they?

I think the BB and CC creams are absolutely wonderful for more mature skin. So you don't have to wear heavy make up that does in fact settle and only make those lines more visible. And primers [face & eye] are the best make up find since mascara! LoL Seriously, a good matte face primer makes your foundation flawless and lasting. And I never have creased eye shadows anymore w/ eye primes. Make up has come a long way hasn't it?