Butch Femme Planet

Butch Femme Planet (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/index.php)
-   Poly Relationships (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Can a poly/mono work? (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5281)

fever 08-17-2012 05:14 PM

Excellent thread

This thread deals with questions about myself and relationships of the past. I am thrilled to see so many thoughts on the subject. I have learned a lot about myself over the past few years. I still don't know how poly femmes do it.

Do you think that it is mostly a butch who wants to be poly, especially one who ID's as a Top/Dominant, or are there just as many femmes who can't or don't want to have one partner???

Candice

girl_dee 08-17-2012 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fever (Post 634218)
This thread deals with questions about myself and relationships of the past. I am thrilled to see so many thoughts on the subject. I have learned a lot about myself over the past few years. I still don't know how poly femmes do it.

Do you think that it is mostly a butch who wants to be poly, especially one who ID's as a Top/Dominant, or are there just as many femmes who can't or don't want to have one partner???

Candice

It depends on the dynamics. My Syr is not about collecting wives, or having some sort of kinkfest with multiple sexual partners, she is about a family and maintaining a level of peace and joy within. There are some subs who wish for the Dominant to take on more family members so that they can have more playmates or freedoms, and sometimes without even making that wish known, and sometimes that plan backfires on everyone.

boobookitty 08-17-2012 10:59 PM

My primary relationship partner is mono, our relationship has been in place since 1997. Without a marriage license. When I make a promise and a comitment, I mean it.

yotlyolqualli 08-18-2012 06:05 AM

It never worked for me. I am monogamous and have always made that clear.

girl_dee 08-18-2012 06:15 AM

so could you be with someone who is Poly?

yotlyolqualli 08-18-2012 06:34 AM

No. I tried and while on paper it sounded doable, in actuality, it tore me down, apart and asunder.

girl_dee 08-18-2012 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yotlyolqualli (Post 634391)
No. I tried and while on paper it sounded doable, in actuality, it tore me down, apart and asunder.

yes that is such a good point, it all sounds great until you try to live it. No one can explain what it would be like, you have to live it.

The_Lady_Snow 08-18-2012 07:43 AM

Confused

Quote:

Candice

Hi fever, I'm a bit confused about this part of your post. Are you under the impression that Femme Tops can't handle poly situations like butches do? I know *I* can handle poly with ease, in *my* experience it's been the other way around. Butches seem to want to dick pump and get all akwRd and insecure when I'd be out with another. I've not had this much of a problem with the girls/Femmes/Women I've been with..

Martina 08-18-2012 11:22 AM

I think this thread is asking about whether someone who is poly can be with someone who is basically monogamous long term, meaning one of them does not have connections outside the relationship.

I may sound like I am policing this thread. I am not. What I am doing is speaking as a poly person. We can't seem to have a discussion without people coming in and saying, OMG, I could never DO that. I am an ethical person. It's not in my nature to do THAT.

girl_dee 08-18-2012 02:47 PM

i think many people think they can live this lifestyle, then try it and realize wow that is not for them. Like someone said it looks good on paper.

i like when they share that experience.

What i get sick of is hearing how GOOD Syr must has it with two wives. We don't have orgies or kinkfests around here.. what we have is a family and when one is struggling we all struggles. Syr also has two (three if you count the boi) sets of problems to help us solve, relationships to maintain and spread herself amongst us all.

People don't look past the sexual aspect of it. That is a GREAT part of it but there is SO much more to maintaining this lifestyle than people who have not tried it can imagine.

girl_dee 08-18-2012 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boobookitty (Post 634318)
My primary relationship partner is mono, our relationship has been in place since 1997. Without a marriage license. When I make a promise and a comitment, I mean it.

i'm a bit confused about this. Many people are committed to more than one person and it's just as solid and true as a mono relationship. Is your *primary* relationship with someone who is mono your only commitment? What are ya sayin here besides the fact that you are committed to someone who is mono?

The_Lady_Snow 08-18-2012 03:25 PM

Thougts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martina (Post 634534)
I think this thread is asking about whether someone who is poly can be with someone who is basically monogamous long term, meaning one of them does not have connections outside the relationship.

I may sound like I am policing this thread. I am not. What I am doing is speaking as a poly person. We can't seem to have a discussion without people coming in and saying, OMG, I could never DO that. I am an ethical person. It's not in my nature to do THAT.

I'm often hesitant on posting in poly threads due to the stigma that comes along with being perceived as a sexual starved cat in heat.

Weatherboi and I had that very discussion before my participation in this thread. It seems when the word poly is attached in any manner it is assumed that it's about sex, it's about selfishness, perversity(not the good kind) carelessness and all around negative. I'm glad this was brought up!

Mel C. 08-18-2012 03:57 PM

I appreciate the comments made thus far. It seems to me that a relationship based on honesty and open dialogue can overcome philosophical differences. Can a relationship between people with different dietary needs work? Can a relationship between people with different income levels work? Can a relationship between people of different ethnicities or different religious beliefs work? I think the answer in all cases is "yes" if the people involved are willing to work through the hurdles that appear from time to time (as with any relationship).

Without identifying myself as poly or mono, it seems to me that a relationship can only "work" if the people involved want it to work and continue working on the relationship(s).

girl_dee 08-18-2012 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Lady_Snow (Post 634634)
I'm often hesitant on posting in poly threads due to the stigma that comes along with being perceived as a sexual starved cat in heat.

Weatherboi and I had that very discussion before my participation in this thread. It seems when the word poly is attached in any manner it is assumed that it's about sex, it's about selfishness, perversity(not the good kind) carelessness and all around negative. I'm glad this was brought up!

ME TOO. i cannot speak for my Syr (of COURSE!) but i am sure she would agree that the work that comes along with balancing a household cannot possibly be compensated by the sexual perks of it all.

We are all in it for the kinship, not for the Hot Monkey Sex.

girl_dee 08-18-2012 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mel (aka BlistexLez) (Post 634661)
I appreciate the comments made thus far. It seems to me that a relationship based on honesty and open dialogue can overcome philosophical differences. Can a relationship between people with different dietary needs work? Can a relationship between people with different income levels work? Can a relationship between people of different ethnicities or different religious beliefs work? I think the answer in all cases is "yes" if the people involved are willing to work through the hurdles that appear from time to time (as with any relationship).

Without identifying myself as poly or mono, it seems to me that a relationship can only "work" if the people involved want it to work and continue working on the relationship(s).

i agree too, but do you think that a person that is "wired" for monogamy could ever be happy with someone who is polygamous no matter how honest the parties are?

What i mean is: HYPOTHETICALLY:

If i (being poly) were to tell my partner (who is mono) that i am going out for the evening to meet with another lover i am being honest, even though she would be left to deal with the aftermath of my stepping out.

Could that ever work?

QueenofSmirks 08-18-2012 05:16 PM

Quote:

I still don't know how poly femmes do it.

Candice

Hmm... I'm not sure where your confusion lies. Do you feel this is a topic based on gender or gender identity? It sort of sounds to me like the old misconception that women can't, and shouldn't enjoy sex. Can you explain why you think, or why anyone would think, that butches, especially Top/Dom butches, would be more inclined to be poly than femmes? Are you implying that femmes are too jealous, catty, insecure, weak, or...? Or am I misunderstanding you completely?

Martina 08-18-2012 06:09 PM

I am fairly picky (plus not everyone's cup of tea). I could easily be in a relationship in which I have no outside sexual or romantic connections while the other does. I have been in that position. But I could have always decided to pursue outside connections. Also, as I get older, I am not as interested in pouring so much of my time into relationships.

I know of marriages in which one partner is poly and kinky and the other person thinks it's strange stuff. The marriages pre-dated the one partner's exploration of kink. I know of two of those that have stood the test of time.

Mel C. 08-18-2012 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cajun_dee (Post 634676)
i agree too, but do you think that a person that is "wired" for monogamy could ever be happy with someone who is polygamous no matter how honest the parties are?

If i (being poly) were to tell my partner (who is mono) that i am going out for the evening to meet with another lover i am being honest, even though she would be left to deal with the aftermath of my stepping out.

Could that ever work?

In the hypothetical scenario described above, it doesn't seem to be about whether someone is poly or mono, but whether someone has an expectation that their partner be poly or mono. If i expect a partner to be mono and they are not, it would probably be an issue. If I expect a partner to be poly and they aren't, it would probably be an issue. Either way, for the relationship to succeed, I imagine the "issues" need to be addressed.

Although "I'm going out to meet a lover" is honest, it doesn't seem very nurturing. I'd like to think that if I was monogamous in a relationship with someone poly, that there would be some discussion and ground rules established for what behaviors are acceptable. Likewise, if I was poly and had a mono partner, I'd like to think that I would treat her in a manner that was respectful at all times.

Martina 08-18-2012 06:24 PM

Yes, if someone can't tolerate you being poly, but wants to be, that is a problem.

But if one party wants to be monogamous and is happy with the other partner being poly -- which I think is the hypothetical -- then I imagine it can work.

My guess is that it would stand the greatest chance of success if the monogamous partner were basically poly, just not interested in more than one relationship at this time.

If a person with no experience of poly were to enter such a relationship as the monogamous partner, I would not give it much chance. But who knows?

The_Lady_Snow 08-18-2012 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cajun_dee (Post 634676)

Could that ever work?

I'm going to take a wild guess that these things would be discussed wayyyy before they arise. If they are happening and it's a SURPRISE!! then I can see where there is gonna be an issue and feelers are gonna be hurt, maybe that's where it goes wrong that people aren't 100% honest with one another.