Butch Femme Planet

Butch Femme Planet (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hobbies, Crafts, Interests (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Square Swap (For Crochet/Knitting) (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=400)

Arwen 11-25-2009 11:17 AM

Square Swap (For Crochet/Knitting)

There is a "thing" among some yarn folk. It's a Square Swap.

Here's how it works:

Each person makes 12(or whatever the number is) squares of a certain size and colorway.

They mail eleven squares to the other eleven people in their group.

They get eleven squares back.

Then you can put those squares into a blanket for yourself of for a giveaway.

There is no set style to the square other than size and color choices. Usually it's a 6 month? time frame. I think that is right.

So would anyone be interested in doing this?

Some swaps I've seen have been :

Red, White And Blue
Red and Purple
Spring colors
Variegated only
I've got the Blues (various shades of blue)

So? :) It's a good way to try out different yarns and patterns if you like that sort of thing.

Bit 11-25-2009 04:50 PM

Hey! That sounds really cool!

So do have a blanket size in mind, or a wall-hanging size? And what colorways are you thinking?

:heartbeat:

Arwen 11-27-2009 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bit (Post 12289)
Hey! That sounds really cool!

So do have a blanket size in mind, or a wall-hanging size? And what colorways are you thinking?

:heartbeat:

Cath, what I'm thinking is a blanket since I have no use for something to hang on the wall. I think once we get a good group for this, then we can decide size and color. One I really liked was the one where you chose shades of a color -- like purple or blue--and then did a certain size square and edged it in two rows of black. :)

What do you think?

Bit 11-27-2009 10:35 PM

Sounds good to me! I like the edging idea because it will add drama yet also continuity.

Arwen 11-27-2009 10:45 PM

Here's how one group does it. CLICKY

8 squares x 8"s = 64 inches So that's a 4x4 blanket making it 32" across. Not really big enough. LOL

We might have to do a team of at least 10 people doing 2 8" squares for each member. That would be 20 8" squares total per person. That's a lot but if you do Granny Squares, those go super fast.

So I guess it would be up to the group.

I'd sure like to try though.

10 people doing 8 " squares x 2 so each person ends up with 20 8" squares. If you do four across and five rows that's 32" x 40", right? Lord Love A Duck, I don't do math well.

Bit 11-27-2009 10:54 PM

That's too many squares, love, and too much joining at the end. Let's make it simple, 12" squares, k? 12 of them would give us lap robes 3 squares by 4 squares--3 feet by 4 feet.

16 squares would give us 4 feet by 4 feet; that would cover a more ample lap. :cheesy:

Arwen 11-27-2009 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bit (Post 13055)
That's too many squares, love, and too much joining at the end. Let's make it simple, 12" squares, k? 12 of them would give us lap robes 3 squares by 4 squares--3 feet by 4 feet.

16 squares would give us 4 feet by 4 feet; that would cover a more ample lap. :cheesy:

I like that. SEE! This is why I needed you on this. :dimbulb: So 12 12" squares is a good start.

Now we need more vic...er participants.

Remember, these can be knitted or crocheted squares.

Who else wants to play?

Cath, what color shall we start with?

I kinda like the idea of doing a purple and red one in honor of the Red Hat Society. lol.

Bit 11-27-2009 11:04 PM

I like Autumn Jewel Tones--purple and red are part of that. :cheesy:

Yes, we do need more vic--errr--participants. :eyebat: I'm thinking people might be thinking more in terms of the holidays right now... maybe if we keep the thread bumped, and set a finish date well after the holidays?

Arwen 11-27-2009 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bit (Post 13058)
I like Autumn Jewel Tones--purple and red are part of that. :cheesy:

Yes, we do need more vic--errr--participants. :eyebat: I'm thinking people might be thinking more in terms of the holidays right now... maybe if we keep the thread bumped, and set a finish date well after the holidays?

Here's my thought.

Squares due by April 1st.

That's a four month ...no three month (darn math anyway)... window. Do you think that is doable? :laundryday:How cute is that smiley?

Bit 11-27-2009 11:28 PM

It's an adorable smiley and I actually used it in context one day when I had to go offline and do laundry. *curtsies* :cheesy:

Oh look! :wateringgarden: Hadn't seen this one yet!

I like that timeframe for sign-up on the Square Swap. Do you think people will really need that long, three months for 12 squares though? I dunno how fast other people might knit or crochet... Will the speedy among us be keeping vigil, waiting? :vigil: :knit::vigil:

:writer: I love this one VERY much, more I think than the others. I would put this in my sig line.

Look at this next set... just cracks me up how they go together...

:listening::harp:

Arwen 11-28-2009 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bit (Post 13072)
I like that timeframe for sign-up on the Square Swap. Do you think people will really need that long, three months for 12 squares though? I dunno how fast other people might knit or crochet... Will the speedy among us be keeping vigil, waiting? :vigil: :knit::vigil:

Cath, we are derailing our own thread. LOL.

Okay. So do we need to do a Dear post? If you think we do, will you do it? hee!

1. 12 people
2. 8" squares (knit or crochet--any pattern)
3. We can do a vote on the color scheme. :)

Passionaria 11-28-2009 11:32 PM

I don't knit or crochet any more, but I just LOVE this idea, how cool. It makes me want to.

:blueheels: Pashi

Bit 11-29-2009 12:24 AM

Hey Pashi, welcome!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arwen (Post 13462)
Cath, we are derailing our own thread. LOL.

Okay. So do we need to do a Dear post? If you think we do, will you do it? hee!

1. 12 people
2. 8" squares (knit or crochet--any pattern)
3. We can do a vote on the color scheme. :)

Yes, we are derailing our own thread. :cheesy:
:grandpiano::danceparty:K, I can invite people to the party, but for 12" squares, right? Because that makes a lap robe that's 3 squares by 4 squares, rather than a baby blanket.

Unless you want to ask for more than 12...? But the math is eluding me tonight... okay, I have forced the brain to cooperate. 4 x5 would be 20 squares but only 32" by 40" finished, kinda small...

:xmascandle::xmascandle::xmascandle:

Arwen 11-29-2009 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bit;13475[FONT=Verdana
12" squares, right? Because that makes a lap robe that's 3 squares by 4 squares, rather than a baby blanket.[/FONT]

You are right! 12" squares.

We need a math person. lol!

So:

1. 12 people:awww:
2. 12 12" squares:wallbreak:
3. Any pattern-knit or crochet (no quilt squares, sorry!):freak:
4. Sign up by Dec 31 (late joiners ok if we don't have enough?):bomb:
5. Squares due by April 30 (That's four months so three squares a month)
:knitgirl:
6. We'll decide on colors when we get a few more folk in here. :LGBTQFlag:

SuperFemme 12-01-2009 10:35 AM

I'm in.
I love purple.
I crochet like a mad woman.
Oh wait.
I AM a mad woman.

:artist:

christie 12-01-2009 11:20 AM

This is a great idea!

I know that Jess would be glad to see some of the many tubs of yarns I have go somewhere! I ran across a great sale at Michael's last year and well, being tactile... you get the idea! Bamboo... alpaca... oohhhhhh.... makes me wanna go home and just pet the skeins! :freak::freak::knitgirl:

I never learned how to do granny squares, but I am sure I can make something work.

Would someone please be so kind to remind me later in the month? Its a busy time for us :accountant: on a calendar/fiscal year and I wouldnt want to forget!

hippieflowergirl 12-01-2009 11:53 AM

well hi,

any room for a knitting idiot? i have been trying to learn from...sigh...a book. throw me a bone anyone?

p.s. Christie...avocado is not a pronoun. it's a food group. i heard it on NPR so it must be true.
:readfineprint:

christie 12-01-2009 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hippieflowergirl (Post 14813)
well hi,

any room for a knitting idiot? i have been trying to learn from...sigh...a book. throw me a bone anyone?

p.s. Christie...avocado is not a pronoun. it's a food group. i heard it on NPR so it must be true.
:readfineprint:

Sheesh! and here I thought that bacon and butter were the "other" food groups!

Call me whatcha want, just leave the bacon alone!

Missed you, chica!

Arwen 12-01-2009 03:22 PM

1. Arwen
  2. Cath aka bit
  3. SuperFemme
  4. Christie
  5. HippieFlowerGirl
  6. ?
  7. ?
  8. ?
  9. ?
  10. ?
  11. ?
  12. ?

Sweet!

Color suggestions so far:
  1. Autumn Jewel Tones
  2. Purple
  3. Purple/Red
  4. ?
  5. ?
  6. ?
We'll vote once we have 8 of us. :)

Medusa 12-01-2009 03:41 PM

I'll join!

And here is an added fun one if anyone is so inclined:
Make an extra square in the colors of the site and we can stitch them together for a lap quilt to auction at our first Reunion ;)