Butch Femme Planet

Butch Femme Planet (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/index.php)
-   Words Games, Quizzes, Etc. (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=132)
-   -   Cat got your tongue? (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6557)

Gemme 10-02-2013 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Bliss (Post 848564)
Actually the human ear continues to grow until death. And apparently so does the hair inside them ..... ewwwwww!
:phonegab:

The nose as well.

puddin' 10-06-2013 03:25 AM

sheep's wool grows forever... jus' sayin

Sweet Bliss 11-23-2013 12:38 PM

"Bone to pick," dates back to the 16th century, simply refers to a dog chewing endlessly on, and "picking clean," a large bone. A "bone to pick" is thus a subject or issue that is expected to require considerable discussion or argument. A similar phrase, "bone of contention," meaning an issue over which two people argue, also dates back to the 1500s and refers, appropriately, to two dogs fighting over an especially choice bone.

i was thinking it was about zombies. vampires, and ggrave robbers. darn.

ksrainbow 11-23-2013 02:56 PM

*Lack of planning on your part does not constitute and emergency on mine*

As it relates to my work: "last minute need of what you want that I can get you, required you to get your paper work to me weeks ago!"

BTW: my boss will not allow me to post that on my door LOL!!

tiggs 11-23-2013 03:21 PM

"that's really skookum"

It has a range of positive meanings. The word can mean 'good,' 'strong,'[2] 'best,' 'powerful,' 'ultimate,' or 'brave.' Something can be skookum meaning 'really good' or 'right on! 'excellent!', or it can be skookum meaning 'tough' or 'durable.' A skookum burger is either a big[3] or a really tasty hamburger, or both.

tiggs 11-23-2013 03:25 PM

"dry as a popcorn fart" :blush:

something that is very dry. a peice of bread without butter or water can be drier than a popcorn fart.

tiggs 11-23-2013 03:28 PM

'whistling dixie'

To engage in unrealistically rosy fantasizing: "If you think mass transportation is going to replace the automobile I think you're whistling Dixie" (Henry Ford II).

Venus007 11-23-2013 04:48 PM

Growing up my great grandmother used "Bufflehead" to describe someone stupid, clumsy, but without malicious intent, as in

"That buffleheaded cousinah yours tripped feeding the hogs and they all got loose. Took your uncle Max n' Sterling 3 hours to catch em all."

It is the name of this rather handsome bird:
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/i...LakdNmo2Zd1T5p

Also in the freekin 1600s it meant "simpleton". Where did she LEARN this word?! I want to know how she picked it up, who gave it to her.

puddin' 11-23-2013 05:54 PM

Taken aback

Meaning: Surprised or startled by a sudden turn of events.

Origin: 'Aback' means in a backward direction - toward the rear. It is a word that has fallen almost into disuse, apart from in the phrase 'taken aback'. Originally 'aback' was two words: 'a' and 'back', but these became merged into a single word in the 15th century. The word 'around' and the now archaic 'adown' were formed in the same way.

'Taken aback' is an allusion to something that is startling enough to make us jump back in surprise. The first to be 'taken aback' were not people though but ships. The sails of a ship are said to be 'aback' when the wind blows them flat against the masts and spars that support them. A use of this was recorded in the London Gazette in 1697: "I braced my main topsails aback."

If the wind were to turn suddenly so that a sailing ship was facing unexpectedly into the wind, the ship was said to be 'taken aback'. An early example of that in print comes from an author called Eeles in the Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society, 1754:

"If they luff up, they will be taken aback, and run the hazard of being dismasted."

Note: 'to luff' is to bring the head of a ship nearer to the wind.

The figurative use of the phrase, meaning surprised rather than physically pushed back, came in the 19th century. It appeared in The Times in March 1831:

"Whigs, Tories, and Radicals, were all taken aback with astonishment, that the Ministers had not come forward with some moderate plan of reform."

Charles Dickens also used it in his American Notes in 1842:

"I don't think I was ever so taken aback in all my life."

tiggs 01-22-2014 10:50 PM

'doing the beast with two backs'

Meaning

Partners engaged in sexual intercourse.

Origin

This modern-sounding phrase is in fact at least as early as Shakespeare. He used it in Othello, 1604:

Iago:
"I am one, sir, that comes to tell you your daughter and the Moor are now making the beast with two backs."

Shakespeare may have been the first to use it in English, although a version of it appears in Rabelais' Gargantua and Pantagruel, circa 1532. This was translated into English by Thomas Urquhart and published posthumously around 1693:

"In the vigour of his age he married Gargamelle, daughter to the King of the Parpaillons, a jolly pug, and well-mouthed wench. These two did oftentimes do the two-backed beast together, joyfully rubbing and frotting their bacon 'gainst one another."

Gemme 01-23-2014 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiggs (Post 882839)
"In the vigour of his age he married Gargamelle, daughter to the King of the Parpaillons, a jolly pug, and well-mouthed wench. These two did oftentimes do the two-backed beast together, joyfully rubbing and frotting their bacon 'gainst one another."

I love this.

I rather enjoy frotting my bacon against Jar and am going to tell him so.

:sunglass:

*Anya* 01-24-2014 09:51 AM

muckety-muck

I was going to write in another thread that my GF was home from another business trip. I was going to write that she was a muckety-muck in her company and then thought: where the heck did muckety-muck come from?

high muckamuck also high muckety-muck
n. Slang

An important, often overbearing person.

[From Chinook Jargon hayo makamak, plenty to eat.]

Word History: One might not immediately associate the word high muckamuck with fur traders and Native Americans, but it seems that English borrowed the term from Chinook Jargon, a pidgin language combining words from English, French, Nootka, Chinook, and the Salishan languages that was formerly used by them in the Pacific Northwest. In this language hayo makamak meant "plenty to eat" and is recorded in that sense in English contexts, the first one dated 1853, in which the phrase is spelled Hiou Muckamuck.

In 1856 we find the first recorded instance of the word meaning "pompous person, person of importance," in the Democratic State Journal published in Sacramento: "The professors the high 'Muck-a-Mucks' tried fusion, and produced confusion."

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2009. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

Sweet Bliss 01-27-2014 09:20 PM

frotting??? omg i need to look that up.:glasses:

C0LLETTE 01-27-2014 09:26 PM

beyond the pale

The phrase "beyond the pale" dates back to the 14th century, when the part of Ireland that was under English rule was delineated by a boundary made of such stakes or fences, and known as the English Pale. To travel outside of that boundary, beyond the pale, was to leave behind all the rules and institutions of English society, which the English modestly considered synonymous with civilization itself.

Do I need to confess that I copy/pasted this? I just couldn't have explained it better lol

Sweet Bliss 01-27-2014 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C0LLETTE (Post 885012)
beyond the pale

The phrase "beyond the pale" dates back to the 14th century, when the part of Ireland that was under English rule was delineated by a boundary made of such stakes or fences, and known as the English Pale. To travel outside of that boundary, beyond the pale, was to leave behind all the rules and institutions of English society, which the English modestly considered synonymous with civilization itself.

Do I need to confess that I copy/pasted this? I just couldn't have explained it better lol

No of course. But I think the TOS asks that we also acknowledge our source to give credit where credit is due. So I guess if you just add your source it's okay.

I will check and make sure. (f)

C0LLETTE 01-27-2014 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Bliss (Post 885023)
No of course. But I think the TOS asks that we also acknowledge our source to give credit where credit is due. So I guess if you just add your source it's okay.

I will check and make sure. (f)

It was the Urban Dictionary though I'm ashamed to admit it cause so much of their stuff is just so icky.

Sweet Bliss 01-27-2014 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C0LLETTE (Post 885012)
beyond the pale

Forgot to mention that this is a wonderful bit of history. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Sweet Bliss 01-27-2014 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C0LLETTE (Post 885026)
It was the Urban Dictionary though I'm ashamed to admit it cause so much of their stuff is just so icky.

No Love it's fine.... I found it fascinating! !

No harm no foul. :bunchflowers:

homoe 07-07-2018 05:28 PM

OMG a idiom thread..........

I've found a new home to "hang my hat!"

To take up residence somewhere.

homoe 07-07-2018 05:40 PM

"Revenge Is A Dish Best Served Cold...........

It is very satisfying to achieve revenge a long time after some upsetting event occurred. Vengeance is often more satisfying if it is not exacted immediately.

Sidebar: I still laugh when I see the episode of The Sopranos where Tony mis-quotes this as "Revenge Is A Dish Best Served With Cold Cuts"...:giggle: