Butch Femme Planet

Butch Femme Planet (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Fluffy Stuff: Flirting, Humor, Chat (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   What are you reading? (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1589)

homoe 09-29-2017 03:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kätzchen (Post 626495)
I have been reading from several authors (Swedish or Danish, by origin) but I guess what I miss reading the most or perhaps even miss in face to face conversations is unvarnished, completely transparent exchange of ideas between people who might agree or tend to disagree; but certainly I miss the verbal or textual exchange in an unvarnished format.

That's not to say I miss ugliness or language that pushes the envelope of incivility. What I mean is that it would be nice to read or participate in an exchange of ideas or dreams or whatever in unvarnished ways.

That's what I miss the most: when reading here or there or anywhere
(conversations included, too).

Wouldn't it be wonderful to join a book-club similar to The Jane Austen Book Club....... :glasses:

Kätzchen 09-29-2017 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homoe (Post 1171769)
I realize this post was years ago but are you still doing this? It sounds so very interesting I must say.....

Oh, wow, yes -- that was several years ago, homoe! I'm surprised that I even revealed that private aspect about myself here on the boards in our community. I tend to turn inward and tinker with music like this, attempt my own score of music.....and no, I don't do it often, really. I rarely do it. In the past, I've done this when I am processing a particular hurt in my life..... :blush: That's amazing to me that you found my post from years ago :rrose:

Quote:

Originally Posted by homoe (Post 1171770)
Wouldn't it be wonderful to join a book-club similar to The Jane Austen Book Club....... :glasses:

It's like you are in my head, literally! Have I told you or expressed my profound gratitude for telling me about the movie The Jane Austen Book Club??? Homoe?? Is it a book, too?? That is one of many reasons I liked this movie SOOOO much! I liked how all the members of this book club were chosen to participate in the "book club" and how each person seemed inexplicably linked to another member by way of close friendship, except the guy (!) And how each person read particular books authored by Jane Austen and brought their own interpretation of each story to the monthly group get-together....the co-mingling of ideas based on their own interpretation and understanding, born out of their own life experience, was priceless! I can't thank you enough for practically reaching out to me and telling me about books or movies to read or watch! You're such a breath of fresh air and I feel so very lucky to know you! *Thank you, {{{{{homoe}}}}}* :balloon:

homoe 09-29-2017 11:23 AM

Yes Miss Katz......

The Jane Austen Book Club is a 2004 novel by American author Karen Joy Fowler. The story, which takes place near Sacramento, California, centers on a book club consisting of five women and one man who meet once a month to discuss Jane Austen's six novels. It was a critical success and became a national bestseller.

I read it years ago but I can't remember if the movie stays true to the book or not to be very honest.......

homoe 09-29-2017 12:05 PM

As much as I hated doing it, I dusted off my Fire, charged it up and am re-reading Grisham's “The Racketeer” IMHO his FINEST book!

Unlike many of his others, it has no soapbox to stand on and is not out to teach lessons about justice. This book is much more duplicitous than that. In its early stages it does follow the familiar Grisham template, in which a lawyer finds himself unexpectedly in legal trouble. But then it breaks out into the exhilarating tale of how Mal, a disbarred attorney, now a savvy, self-taught legal scholar, leads his pursuers on a long winding chase.

May I suggest this one if you have not read it yet........

Fancy 09-29-2017 07:13 PM

Rereading Jane Shepard's Kickass Plays for Women - there's another theatre project in my future...

Kobi 10-01-2017 06:53 PM

Nomadland : surviving America in the twenty-first century / Jessica Bruder.

Employers have discovered a new, low-cost labor pool, made up largely of transient older Americans. Finding that social security comes up short, often underwater on mortgages, these invisible casualties of the Great Recession have taken to the road by the tens of thousands in late-model RVs, travel trailers, and vans, forming a growing community of nomads: migrant laborers who call themselves "workampers." Bruder hits the road to get to know her subjects, accompanying them from job to job in the dark underbelly of the American economy, while celebrating their resilience and creativity.

------------------

Fascinating.

justkim 10-02-2017 10:30 AM

This sounds like a fantastic book to read, considering we have been living in a 40 foot fifth wheel for the last year. Putting this on my must read list.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kobi (Post 1172263)
Employers have discovered a new, low-cost labor pool, made up largely of transient older Americans. Finding that social security comes up short, often underwater on mortgages, these invisible casualties of the Great Recession have taken to the road by the tens of thousands in late-model RVs, travel trailers, and vans, forming a growing community of nomads: migrant laborers who call themselves "workampers." Bruder hits the road to get to know her subjects, accompanying them from job to job in the dark underbelly of the American economy, while celebrating their resilience and creativity.

------------------

Fascinating.

Kobi 10-02-2017 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justkim (Post 1172352)
This sounds like a fantastic book to read, considering we have been living in a 40 foot fifth wheel for the last year. Putting this on my must read list.

It was very good and also very sad. Didn't realize how many elderly people are doing this just to survive.

Ascot 10-02-2017 02:35 PM

I'm reading a series of adult short stories by Roald Dahl, he of James and the Giant Peach fame. Some odd stuff to be sure.

Femmewench 10-02-2017 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ascot (Post 1172425)
I'm reading a series of adult short stories by Roald Dahl, he of James and the Giant Peach fame. Some odd stuff to be sure.

He was married to Patricia Neal for 30 years. I always admired her especially post strokes.

justkim 10-02-2017 06:19 PM

Being smack dab in the middle of people who truly live a nomad lifestyle has definitely opened my eyes. A lot of families are doing it too so that they can "see" America. They've pulled their children out of brick and mortar schools so they can be home-schooled. It also makes it easier for one parent to stay home if you want to look at a financial angle. We also ran into woman and men in the traveling nurse field who love what they do and love that they can travel and it really only costs them fuel and fee for a spot to hook up at. The older people we ran into are semi retired and they also travel to where the work is. A friend of ours retired from OSHA as an inspector who now runs his own business while still enjoying the perks of retirement and travel all rolled into a rolling house. Right now for instance half of the people here in the park were in are line man, who here soon will be heading south for the winter. Another thing, not sure if it is mentioned in the book is that some parks are putting an age limit on the RV's they allow into their park. Anything over ten years old has to pass the how does it look test. Then there are the ones who only do motor coaches and won't even look at tow-able units no matter what their age is. Anyway just some random thoughts from someone living, although it is only for another month in our RV.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kobi (Post 1172422)

It was very good and also very sad. Didn't realize how many elderly people are doing this just to survive.

Kätzchen 10-03-2017 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kobi (Post 1172263)

------------------

Fascinating.

Sounds very interesting, Kobi....

Quote:

Kobi? Does the author give an neutral scientific account for the background of the people who have particular financial resources to even afford to pay for gasoline or own an R. V. or 5th wheel trailer? Do they mention the class standing they once we're counted as members? Things of this nature?

I ask because my mother is elderly, she's still working an terrific (aka horrific ) schedule as an nurse in an penitentiary, plans to go out on medical leave soon, and sold her house to my sister, just to get that gorilla off her back because in Idaho (land of original fascist bigotry :| ), you can't get Healthcare unless it's through your employer, and employee sponsored health care is an massive joke --- employers get a huge tax break to give it's employees virtually non-existent coverage : my mother is footing the medical bills for three siblings who can't get medical coverage to save their lives. If not for my mother working herself to death, all four of them would be penniless, have no care, have no place to live, etc.

I'm guessing the author gives an look at "poverty" in terms of those who are trying to bridge the fucked up chasms between age and in terms of small sector employment that most others couldn't even participate in, unless their social mobility allows them to in particular terms that others could not even hurdle.

But I agree with you, the subject in the book seems fascinating.

knight 10-03-2017 03:57 PM

Wild Dogs

Helen Humphreys- Wild Dogs

Explores how humans are attracted to and fearful of the wildness they sense within themselves and those they love.

homoe 10-04-2017 09:03 AM

Quote:

I would love to read that book but I know it would break my heart hearing of how older and less fortunate people are being taken advantage of!

Kobi 10-04-2017 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homoe (Post 1172752)
I would love to read that book but I know it would break my heart hearing of how older and less fortunate people are being taken advantage of!

I hear ya. Reading about people in their 60's and older hoping for the chance to pick sugar beets for a few weeks was disturbing. Harvesting doesnt begin until after the first hard frost.

Others dont even get paid for their work. They are just thankful to have a place to park with free hook ups.

And these folks arent taking to the road by choice or to see America. They just cannot afford the costs of having non mobile places to live.

After reading what Amazon does to them in their only open during peak season warehouses, I'm shying away from using them.

Kind of wishing I never read it myself. LOL.

Kobi 10-04-2017 06:46 PM

The subtle art of not giving a fuck : a counterintuitive approach to living a good life / Mark Manson.

For decades, we've been told that positive thinking is the key to a happy, rich life. "Fuck positivity," blogger Mark Manson says. "Let's be honest, shit is fucked and we have to live with it."

This book is his antidote to the coddling, let's-all-feel-good mindset that has infected modern society and spoiled a generation, rewarding them with gold medals just for showing up.

Manson makes the argument, backed both by academic research and well-timed poop jokes, that improving our lives hinges not on our ability to turn lemons into lemonade, but on learning to stomach lemons better. Human beings are flawed and limited: "Not everybody can be extraordinary, there are winners and losers in society, and some of it is not fair or your fault."

Manson advises us to get to know our limitations and accept them. Once we embrace our fears, faults, and uncertainties, once we stop running and avoiding and start confronting painful truths, we can begin to find the courage, perseverance, honesty, responsibility, curiosity, and forgiveness we seek. There are only so many things we can care about, so we need to figure out which ones really matter, Manson makes clear.

While money is nice, caring about what you do with your life is better, because true wealth is about experience. A grab-you-by-the-shoulders-and-look-you-in-the-eye moment of real-talk, filled with stories and profane, ruthless humor.

-------------------------------------

That is a pretty cleaned up synopsis of this book.

After about 2 chapters, my brain was just seeing this:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...522a01ea02.gif

Will I finish reading it. Fuck no. :|

Kobi 10-07-2017 05:20 PM

iGen

iGen : why today's super-connected kids are growing up less rebellious, more tolerant, less happy--and completely unprepared for adulthood (and what that means for the rest of us) - Jean M. Twenge, PhD

Analyzes how the young people born in the mid-1990s and later significantly differ from those of previous generations, examining how social media and texting may be behind today's unprecedented levels of anxiety, depression, and loneliness.

-------

Just started this. Hoping it is a worthwhile read.

homoe 10-27-2017 09:48 AM

Sweet Bitter by Stephanie Danler

I ran across this at a used bookstore, and seeing how I'd always wanted to read it picked it up for a mere buck! I'm only on page 52 but I'm somewhat disappointed! Hopefully it'll pick up.

bright_arrow 10-27-2017 07:50 PM

The Secret of Spellshadow Manor by Bella Forest

Kätzchen 10-29-2017 08:30 AM

I am currently reading The Jane Austen Book Club (by Karen Joy Fowler), but recently mY sweet Santa gifted two other books to me, which I can hardly wait to read!

I received Mildred Pierce (by James M. Cain) and The Rackateer (by John Grisham)! :balloon:

I actually saw the HBO miniseries called Mildred Pierce back in July, when I was house sitting for my BFF. MP was incredibly rich with memorable times of the past (The Depression era, etc).

I have read lots of books by John Grisham and I've yet to ever be disappointed by any crime novel or historical era novel that he's ever written, so I'm definitely going to enjoy reading The Rackateer! I just recently learned tho, that Grisham just had another story published and I can't recall the title of the book right now, but the story centers upon an lawyer prosecuting an case pertaining to For- Profit schools being held accountable for crimes again people and society.

In other reading news, Tom Hanks just wrote his first book ever. It's called Uncommon Type, which is an collection of an variety of stories and interwoven throughout the book is his life long hobby of collecting interesting typewriters! This book looks like an great book to read and keep in your private collection of books at home!

https://d1o0agh0cxj49r.cloudfront.ne...1487702572.jpg