Butch Femme Planet

Butch Femme Planet (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Fluffy Stuff: Flirting, Humor, Chat (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   What are you reading? (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1589)

Semantics 01-05-2012 06:28 PM

Quote:

http://erinmorgenstern.com/wp-conten....2-328x500.jpg

The circus arrives without warning. No announcements precede it. It is simply there, when yesterday it was not.
Within the black-and-white striped canvas tents is an utterly unique experience full of breathtaking amazements.
It is called Le Cirque des Rêves, and it is only open at night.

But behind the scenes, a fierce competition is underway—a duel between two young magicians, Celia and Marco,
who have been trained since childhood expressly for this purpose by their mercurial instructors.
Unbeknownst to them, this is a game in which only one can be left standing, and the circus is
but the stage for a remarkable battle of imagination and will.
Despite themselves, however, Celia and Marco tumble headfirst into love
—a deep, magical love that makes the lights flicker and the room grow warm whenever they so much as brush hands.

True love or not, the game must play out, and the fates of everyone involved,
from the cast of extraordinary circus per­formers to the patrons,
hang in the balance, suspended as precariously as the daring acrobats overhead.

I like it so far.

tantalizingfemme 01-05-2012 07:48 PM

Soon to be reading...

I just ordered:

Scarred: A Memoir by George Molho

and a book from when I was young that scared the crap out of me

Watcher in the Woods

Anyone who is reading Steve Job's book... how do you like the book? I am thinking about getting that one soon.

AtLast 01-06-2012 08:32 AM

Pity the Billionaire: The Hard-Times Swindle and the Unlikely Comeback of the Right - Thomas Frank

Kätzchen 01-07-2012 03:00 AM

I finally finished Devil in the White City by Erik Larson (2003) and wow, what an intense historical account of what happened at the World's Fair in Chicago at the turn of the century (late 1890s)! I found it to be dense in factual information as well as rich in history of culture during that period of time. I'm definately keeping this book!

I got another book today at Powell's because traffic was nearing gridlock conditions tonight:

Laini Taylor's - Daughter of Smoke and Bone (September 2011)

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-sXFxPlbfNH...and%2BBone.jpg

Taylor's book is the first of a trilogy, with the second book due later this fall (2012). The genre is sci-fi and not to give too much of the story away, the story is about Chimeras, angels and a girl who lives in Prague (with peacock blue hair)!

Laini Taylor is the author of the National Book Award finalist Lips Touch, as well as the novels Blackbringer, which Kirkus said "belongs at the top of everyone's fantasy must-read list," and Silksinger. She lives in Portland, Oregon with her husband, illustrator Jim Di Bartolo, and their daughter, Clementine.

Here's a NYTs review: >>> LINK <<<

girl_dee 01-07-2012 04:03 PM

Just finished reading

"Butterbox Babies" by Bette Cahill.

What an amazing and sad stories of babies that were sold and/or murdered in a home for unwed mothers in Nova Scotia.

It's a quick read if anyone is interested.

Tawse 01-09-2012 05:43 AM

About half way through "Divergent" and I've decided it's the strong woman's answer to Twilight. Some good light romance but the lead protagonist (female) is not weak and her potential boyfriend would never consider her weak. No saturated pining (yet, please don't let there be).

that being said, this new YA dystopian future genre... ROUGH. lol

StillettoDoll 01-09-2012 06:02 AM

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/1401341764/ref=sib_dp_kd#reader-link"]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...SH20_OU01_.jpg[/ame]

Honey 01-09-2012 06:03 AM

Forum.......

ScandalAndy 01-09-2012 06:51 AM

I'm halfway through the 3rd book in the "Game of Thrones" series. I want to read them all before I watch the show. So far I'm so engrossed that I spend every free second reading. :)

Tawse 01-11-2012 07:10 AM

Finished "Divergent" last night.

Hmmmm. I can see certain "formulas" starting to develop within the YA Dystopian genre. I know all genre's have a bit of formula to them - but it's disheartening when it's so obvious (not talking about the fact that most are after a huge war - that is after all what defines the genre).

This trilogy has potential - but it is no Hunger Games. Maybe it's a bad thing to read Hunger Games first as far as the genre goes. Kinda like reading Lord of the Rings before the Dragonlance series...

Hmmmmm

AtLast 01-11-2012 11:40 AM

Greedy Bastards! by Dylan Ratigan. And in the middle of my annual re-read of This Side of Paridise, F Scott Fitzgerald.

christie 01-11-2012 11:45 AM

I've been done with the Hunger Games - I was surprised at how quickly I blew through them. I've mentioned them to random strangers in airports. Sigh. I am such a nerd sometimes.

I am currently reading "At Risk" by Patricia Cornwell. For those who remember my vehemence about e-readers vs. books... I've surrendered and downloaded the Kindle app on the iPhone AND the iPad. :blink: :blink:

foxyshaman 01-11-2012 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cajun_dee (Post 499933)
Just finished reading

"Butterbox Babies" by Bette Cahill.

What an amazing and sad stories of babies that were sold and/or murdered in a home for unwed mothers in Nova Scotia.

It's a quick read if anyone is interested.

I read that, it is quite the story.

UofMfan 01-11-2012 01:32 PM

I need some good reading suggestions, please.

My son gave me an Amazon Gift Card for Christmas, which I am eager to use, and I am done reading all that I had previously downloaded.

christie 01-11-2012 02:32 PM

What genre do you enjoy?

One of my favorite authors is Jacqueline Carey - the Kushiel series is one that I can re-read over and over.

I also enjoyed "Room".

Sherri Reynolds lives here in VA and is, IMO, a wonderful southern author.

On my Kindle app waiting to be read are:

A Tinker's Damn
Keeper of Keys
Dead Wood
Big Lake
The Collectibles
The Wedding Gift

Quote:

Originally Posted by UofMfan (Post 502546)
I need some good reading suggestions, please.

My son gave me an Amazon Gift Card for Christmas, which I am eager to use, and I am done reading all that I had previously downloaded.

UofMfan 01-11-2012 02:40 PM

I like magical realism, mystery, drama, basically anything that is intelligently written and I don't figure out the ending within the first few pages.

I will look those up, thank you.

Tawse 01-11-2012 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UofMfan (Post 502581)
I like magical realism, mystery, drama, basically anything that is intelligently written and I don't figure out the ending within the first few pages.

I will look those up, thank you.

I love the Dresden File series... about a PI who also happens to be a Wizard. I believe there are 13 books at this time...

Maria 01-11-2012 04:02 PM

whole grain, organic, ciabatta, or twinkie. it's all the same.

Still on the food science tip. After Gary Taubes' groundbreaking Why We Get Fat: And What To do About It, Wheat Belly is a quick read.

Greco 01-14-2012 01:50 PM

Books

Picked-up Haruki Murakami's new book "IQ84"
willl crack its 900 pages open as soon as I finish

Paulo Coelho's "Las Valkiras"

Greco

ONLY 01-14-2012 02:11 PM

I am reading I think it is the 11th book of the "Anita Blake" series from Laurell K. Hamilton "Cerulean Sins"

I wanna that my girl (f) for getting me HOOKED on the series ;)