Butch Femme Planet

Butch Femme Planet (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/index.php)
-   Religion, Spirituality, Mysticism (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Jewish Holiday Thread (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2974)

julieisafemme 03-18-2011 06:10 PM

Jewish Holiday Thread

Just wanted a place to say Hag Purim Sameach!

Purim is a festival holiday celebrated by reading the Megillah, The Book of Esther, entirely in Hebrew (this is one of the only books where there is no mention of G-d) and everyone has to dress up and we practice the mitvot of mishloach manot (giving of gifts) which are little baskets with hamentaschen (a yummy cookie), fruit and other yummy snacks. Also it is the one holiday where Jews are commanded to get drunk and be merry. It starts on Sunday. Kids love it because there is always a carnival at synagogue.

Anyway to all the Jews have a lovely Purim and enjoy the sweets and cocktails.

WolfyOne 03-18-2011 06:17 PM

If I was still practicing my faith, I'd be doing all of the above

Hope the rest of you enjoy the holiday and all that goes along with it

Cheers!!!

julieisafemme 03-18-2011 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WolfyOne (Post 303897)
If I was still practicing my faith, I'd be doing all of the above

Hope the rest of you enjoy the holiday and all that goes along with it

Cheers!!!

You can still have a cocktail and just call it Friday night!!!

Miss Scarlett 03-18-2011 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by julieisafemme (Post 303892)
Just wanted a place to say Hag Purim Sameach!

Purim is a festival holiday celebrated by reading the Megillah, The Book of Esther, entirely in Hebrew (this is one of the only books where there is no mention of G-d) and everyone has to dress up and we practice the mitvot of mishloach manot (giving of gifts) which are little baskets with hamentaschen (a yummy cookie), fruit and other yummy snacks. Also it is the one holiday where Jews are commanded to get drunk and be merry. It starts on Sunday. Kids love it because there is always a carnival at synagogue.

Anyway to all the Jews have a lovely Purim and enjoy the sweets and cocktails.

Toda raba Julie! Awesome idea for a thread and Hag Purim Sameach to you as well!

Tommi 03-18-2011 06:23 PM

Happy holiday to all .

Quote:

Originally Posted by julieisafemme (Post 303899)
You can still have a cocktail and just call it Friday night!!!

Ya know, it seems like all I have is Christmas, and some hardboiled eggs rolling around on Easter. LeftWriteFemme converted and enjoys all the Jewish Holidays.

So :wine: here's to all*

The_Lady_Snow 03-18-2011 06:33 PM

Hag Purim Sameach to you and yours!

nycfem 03-18-2011 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tommi (Post 303901)
Ya know, it seems like all I have is Christmas, and some hardboiled eggs rolling around on Easter. LeftWriteFemme converted and enjoys all the Jewish Holidays.

So :wine: here's to all*

She is wonderful to celebrate with, very creative and her cooking rocks!!! :hangloose:

Julie 03-18-2011 06:52 PM

Hag Purim Sameach...

I wish my Grandma was still alive.
She and I would make Hamentaschen and then...
Run around screaming and laughing as we ate Haman's Ears!

http://www.momtrends.com/wp-content/...mentaschen.jpg

It's a nice memory - thank you for starting this Julie.

Isadora 03-18-2011 07:40 PM

Hag Purim Sameach! Ty, Julieisa!

julieisafemme 03-20-2011 11:34 PM

It was a lovely Purim! I had dinner with my family, none of whom are Jews. We ate yummy food and I brought some hamentaschen to share.

Julie I love your story. One thing I am sad about as a convert is that I do not have a Bubbe and Zayde to share holidays with. I don't have memories or traditions to fall back on. I love hearing stories about how other Jews grew up celebrating holidays.

Thank you all for the happy Purim wishes. Next stop is Pesach or Passover. Not my favorite. I would love to hear memories from those who celebrated this as children.

Until then!

Andrew, Jr. 03-21-2011 10:19 AM

Purim is one of my most favorite holidays. I just love it I am not Jewish, but I do follow the Jewish holidays due to Rosie being Jewish, and having a number of Jewish friends. I embrace quite a few religions and find nothing wrong with that.

lipstixgal 03-21-2011 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by julieisafemme (Post 305375)
It was a lovely Purim! I had dinner with my family, none of whom are Jews. We ate yummy food and I brought some hamentaschen to share.

Julie I love your story. One thing I am sad about as a convert is that I do not have a Bubbe and Zayde to share holidays with. I don't have memories or traditions to fall back on. I love hearing stories about how other Jews grew up celebrating holidays.

Thank you all for the happy Purim wishes. Next stop is Pesach or Passover. Not my favorite. I would love to hear memories from those who celebrated this as children.

Until then!

It was a great Purim none of my family is Jewish either I am a convert but love it. NOw it is time for Passover which is right around the corner and have been invited to a friend's house but might do my own Passover with my girlfriend and her family here in NJ...

DamselFly 03-21-2011 06:05 PM

a belated...

a belated Gut Yontif to all who celbrated Purim. it was one of my favorite holidays when i was a Rabbi....
namaste!
and shalom!
DamselFly:tea:

julieisafemme 04-14-2011 08:11 PM

Pesach!

All right tribe it is time to gear up and clean for Passover. I am not Orthodox and so my cleaning regime is kind of partial. I clean the whole house, clean out the toaster oven of all crumbs and pack up the chametz and bring it to my sister's house. We try to keep kosher for Passover by not eating chametz at home. Chametz is all the good stuff: cookies, cupcakes, cereal, bread, pasta etc. We do still eat rice though. My daughter can usually do three days and then she wants a bagel.

I like matzah brei. We make the sweet version with maple syrup. I am curious what you all make.

We are going to a first night seder at my best friend's who is also a rabbi and an amazing cook. Her seder is very groovy and queer and I am looking forward to it.

So share your stories please. I especially interested in those who grew up celebrating with seders. I did not have a Zayde and Bubbe to celebrate Passover with.

Also post your silly Passover pics and stuff. Does anyone have the total tin foil kitchen picture? Here is a silly You Tube someone posted on FB.

http://youtu.be/4t7a66vbrN0

Heart 04-15-2011 12:28 PM

With sadness I decided not to make my annual family Seder this year because my college son could not get home from school.

Lo and Behold I have been invited to THREE Seders, so will not be Seder-less this year! :clap:

My own Seder is always an alternative affair - with our hommade Haggadah, (featuring family photos through the years), readings about liberation from many cultures, and a totally non-Kosher meal, (though I do refrain from using any yeast or flour).

Heart

Miss Scarlett 04-15-2011 10:23 PM

i decided to forego Seder this year at my synagogue...i am barred from actual membership because of who i am...until i came out to them several years ago there was absolutely nothing wrong with me working with the middle school kids and hosting 4 exchange students from Israel...

i do have a couple of options...the LGBT group at one of the other synagogues will be having their own Seder or i can have my own...

i was thrilled to discover last weekend that the Fresh Market here in Charlotte carries whole wheat matzo which means i don't have to go to the Kosher Mart on Sunday...i really dislike that store...

Andrew, Jr. 04-15-2011 10:45 PM

I wish everyone a happy Passover and a wonderful Seder.

Peace to all here,
Andrew

julieisafemme 04-16-2011 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miss Scarlett (Post 320941)
i decided to forego Seder this year at my synagogue...i am barred from actual membership because of who i am...until i came out to them several years ago there was absolutely nothing wrong with me working with the middle school kids and hosting 4 exchange students from Israel...

i do have a couple of options...the LGBT group at one of the other synagogues will be having their own Seder or i can have my own...

i was thrilled to discover last weekend that the Fresh Market here in Charlotte carries whole wheat matzo which means i don't have to go to the Kosher Mart on Sunday...i really dislike that store...

Miss Scarlett I am so sorry you are not welcome at your shul! I am assuming you are Orthodox? I am at a Conservative synagogue and my Rabbi is very involved in Keshet and is so welcoming to me and my partner. It has been wonderful.

I have yet to do a true seder at my house. It is daunting and I feel intimidated. I am grateful that we have an invitation.

SO sunday is the big clean for me. We have our matzah already and except for the super chametz mix I feed our two ratties we will be chametz free.

I hope you have a good seder wherever you decide to go.

julieisafemme 04-16-2011 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heart (Post 320605)
With sadness I decided not to make my annual family Seder this year because my college son could not get home from school.

Lo and Behold I have been invited to THREE Seders, so will not be Seder-less this year! :clap:

My own Seder is always an alternative affair - with our hommade Haggadah, (featuring family photos through the years), readings about liberation from many cultures, and a totally non-Kosher meal, (though I do refrain from using any yeast or flour).

Heart

I am intrigued by your seder Heart! Thanks so much fo sharing this. Sometimes because I am a New Jew I feel like I can't bend the rules too much. I think I want to try your alternative seder next year and invite a bunch of friends.

Miss Scarlett 04-16-2011 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by julieisafemme (Post 321408)
Miss Scarlett I am so sorry you are not welcome at your shul! I am assuming you are Orthodox? I am at a Conservative synagogue and my Rabbi is very involved in Keshet and is so welcoming to me and my partner. It has been wonderful.

I have yet to do a true seder at my house. It is daunting and I feel intimidated. I am grateful that we have an invitation.

SO sunday is the big clean for me. We have our matzah already and except for the super chametz mix I feed our two ratties we will be chametz free.

I hope you have a good seder wherever you decide to go.

Thanks Hon, my shul is best described as Hypocrital...i always identified more as Lubavitcher because of my paternal great-grandmother's family...that's who they were.

Since my "shunning" as i like to call it i've managed to find my own balance and am doing nicely there but i do miss that connection...

There's a Keshet group here but i was always so busy elsewhere in the LGBT community i never managed to connect with them...loks like that may or may not change. One of the Rabbis here at the Reform Congregation performs weddings for LGBT couples - she just did one up in DC. Before i venture near Temple Beth El i want to meet with her...i'm sure you can understand why...

i've received an invitation from my doctor to attend his family's humongous Seder...that will be an experience - been there before...he and his wife are from South Africa and they manage to cram an average of 60 people in their house...they will hold that next Sunday...

i can pull off huge, huge, huge dinners but a Seder is way more than that...so i understand your hesitation to do your own...