Butch Femme Planet

Butch Femme Planet (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Fluffy Stuff: Flirting, Humor, Chat (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Kitty Corner: All about your cat(s) (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2973)

daisygrrl 03-18-2011 02:06 PM

Kitty Corner: All about your cat(s)

Hey, everyone. I know that there are several cat-lovers here and I thought it’d be groovy to have a place where we can share our stories about our furbabies—as well as share reviews and news about toys, food, etc. :ballcat:

And, as a first-time kitty parent (all by myself…and unsupervised, perhaps to the chagrin of my furbaby), I also think this forum would be a great space to ask for advice ;)

:playingcat:

girl_dee 03-18-2011 02:37 PM

We have about a dozen barn cats living in a *Kitty Condo* here on the farm.

They are all very damn cute and their Momma (aurora) takes very good care of them. They are all fixed and eat very well :)

Thinker 03-18-2011 02:41 PM

We have two. I've had Zoe since she was about 8 weeks old; she'll be 14 y/o this summer.

And Deckster is a fairly new addition. We took him in this past fall. He was living under our deck, skinny as a rail, and missing an eye.

It turns out he is a 4 y/o (approximately) neutered male. He now lives inside and seems pretty damn content. Oh... He is no longer skinny as a rail. ;)

Pixie 03-18-2011 02:45 PM

Well they may not be mine...but they live here and I love them.

Lexi is a tortoise....and she thinks she is anything but a kitty....Parrot, dog, person...but cat not so much...I wake up to her using my toothbrush to clean her teeth or licking the mouth wash cap to get her tongue to that minty freshness lol...she likes to type and be petted on her terms...if you try to hold her she will climb to your shoulder sit there and proceed to nuzzle your ear.

Zeek is a hot mess...he's an inbreed child...black and a dork. He will let you do just about anything to him until you hit that spot and then will turn on you like hot potato.....fiesty little fu.....kitty. He talks to you and will promptly learn your wake up time and make sure you abide it even on days off...

Its pretty much easy to say whom runs this house.

Andrew, Jr. 03-18-2011 03:12 PM

The Current Furkids

We have three cats ranging in age from 3 years old to 22 yo.

Sophie Rose, 22 yo, is the oldest. She jumped into the back of Rosie's co-workers pickup. Her co-worker brought her inside, and in that instant it was decided that Sophie was my first cat. I am really a dog person. Or so I thought. Rose came home with Sophie and told me that she was mine. So, I named her Sophie because she was so-fe(male). Now she weighs less than a pound, and wears a pink dog sweater with a red heart on the back of it. Sophie is so small that the heart wraps all around her body. Sophie Rose loves to be held, rocked, and sung too. She also loves to be kissed and given full body massages. Sophie Rose's siblings were all killed by some kids with too much time on their hands.

Gabby or Gabrielle is the next female we have. She is 4 years old. I was asked to foster her by my vet. Gabby was a newborn and was taken from a lady who was an animal hoarder. Gabby is a hunter. She loves to jump decks, and hunt in the natural habitat behind my home. Every day I get a gift (a tree branch to a bird or snake). I just shake my head. She sleeps with me at night. Gabby does not like to be held or kissed.

Madison is the male cat we have who is 10 years old and chubby. I rescued him from a pittbull fighting ring. He was just a newborn. Madison hisses and spits. He also bites. However, he is a cuddle bug. He loves to sleep with his Daddy as well. He is not in the mood to hunt or do any exercising (like his Dad). Instead, he loves to lay on the deck and watch the birds and squirrels play - and of course wait for his treats. He likes to be rocked, and sung too. He will every now and then like to be given kisses.

There was a feral cat community behind my home that everyone was caring for. We all shared the costs of food, vet bills, and so on. Unfortunately, one neighbor called in Animal Control and had everyone of the cats caught, and put down. Even with the vet calling, it did no good. Some neighbor.

Rockinonahigh 03-18-2011 03:18 PM

I miss haveing cats,I had three one lived to be 21 the other two made it to age 18 and 14,they were house cats and ran the show..Mini the oldest one loved to ride in the suv,either she would lay out on the dash or hang 20 on the spare tire rack then just watch the world go by.The others werent to car crazy..one got car sick the other squalled all the way.I raised them in the house with my pups they all got along great.Now I just have two dogs who rule the place.

daisygrrl 03-18-2011 04:12 PM

My baby is Destinee, who answers to DeeDee (or simply Dee). She has quite a story: she was found at a truck-stop, where she watched as her kittens were run-over; and then she was spayed, assumed to be feral, and was planned to be released back into "the wild". Wendy, the lady who worked at the local shelter and would help Destinee and I become a family, was called by Animal Control; a gentleman was having second-thoughts about Dee being feral. Wendy laughs and calls me Dee "third-time-is-a-charm rescuer." Unaccustomed to being inside (though she may have been as a kitten), Dee continues to do remarkably--and is very much loved. Her name, like her clipped ear, reminds me of just a few reasons she deserves to be spoiled ;)

daisygrrl 03-18-2011 04:20 PM

Dee loves these dental treats (but only this flavor):

http://petsmedvetstore.com/petstore/...reensalmon.jpg

---
The verdict is still out on this $42 toy [which is significantly cheaper at Petco right now because the sales this month]; the main issue is that the feathery thing pops out of its cheap-ass plastic socket (and I'm contemplating using superglue):

http://pet.imageg.net/graphics/produ...918821t400.jpg

It's supposed to be a clawing, grooming, and play post.

---
Has anyone used this litter? I can't decide if Dee had a cold or if the fine particles are going up her nose... (she sneezes a bit here and yon)

http://www.couponsonfb.com/images/catlitter.jpg

Andrew, Jr. 03-18-2011 04:24 PM

Daisy,

This is just my take on what you asked:

1. I only use Arm & Hammer Cat Litter.

2. Use LocTite on your cat toy. BUT give the toy time to dry. It will never come off again in your lifetime or your furkids.

3. Feline Greenies are the bomb here too. I also give them the Friskies treats. I just give them whatever is on sale.

daisygrrl 03-18-2011 04:27 PM

Awesome--thank you so much, Andrew! And, Amazon sells LocTite, to boot :D

I'm relieved to hear that the Arm & Hammer litter isn't bad news, too! ;)

I appreciate your feedback!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew, Jr. (Post 303810)

Daisy,

This is just my take on what you asked:

1. I only use Arm & Hammer Cat Litter.

2. Use LocTite on your cat toy. BUT give the toy time to dry. It will never come off again in your lifetime or your furkids.

3. Feline Greenies are the bomb here too. I also give them the Friskies treats. I just give them whatever is on sale.

daisygrrl 03-18-2011 04:32 PM

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Bergan-Turbo-Track-Cat-Toy/dp/B001RTTL1W/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1300487446&sr=8-7"]Best toy ever[/ame]...

(plus it's entertaining for anyone to watch someone as mechanically challenged as myself put it together...)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg

WolfyOne 03-18-2011 04:42 PM

daisy, I have a dozen resue cats and have tried more brands of cat litter than I care to name
The one I find that works the best is Fresh Step

BTW, don't know if greenies are bad for cats, but they are for dogs
I've read some horror stories about dogs dying from them

In other news, I took a 3 hour round trip ride to my vet today
I have a cat that needs an allergy shot on a monthly basis
She happens to be a Drama Queen when it comes to pills
Every time I've tried to get half an allergy pill in her, she foams at the mouth
When this shot wears off, I'm going to try childrens liquid allergy medicine
My cats happen to adore my vet and even though I moved out of that town, I have an obligation to my cats
It also gave me a reason to see one of my old rescues that my vet took in
All I have to do is whistle and he still comes a running
My country vet has her practice on the same property she lives on
Jr who is the rescue, wanted to stay outside and she has 5 or so acres
He follows her around like a dog when she does her chores
Anyhow, it was nice being able to pet him today

Ms Witness 03-18-2011 04:48 PM

my ex got our cat in the divorce (well in all fairness she was hys) but between you and me Pittypat was my girl.

I got her for the ex for a birthday gift and we named her Pittypat because we had hardwood floors and she just made such noise walking around, we could hear the pitty pat of her lil feet running up and down the stairs lol

I miss her, and one day hope to have another little feline to love.

:cat:

daisygrrl 03-18-2011 04:52 PM

Rescues are the bestest! ;)

Oh, gosh, I've never heard anything negative about Greenies--but I'll look into it, Wolfy--thanks!

Aww, poor Queenie... you've, no doubt, even tried those pill hider thingies (pill pockets, I believe)... not sure if anyone else has any ideas on the subject.

Jr. sounds absolutely adorable...

Quote:

Originally Posted by WolfyOne (Post 303824)
daisy, I have a dozen resue cats and have tried more brands of cat litter than I care to name
The one I find that works the best is Fresh Step

BTW, don't know if greenies are bad for cats, but they are for dogs
I've read some horror stories about dogs dying from them

In other news, I took a 3 hour round trip ride to my vet today
I have a cat that needs an allergy shot on a monthly basis
She happens to be a Drama Queen when it comes to pills
Every time I've tried to get half an allergy pill in her, she foams at the mouth
When this shot wears off, I'm going to try childrens liquid allergy medicine
My cats happen to adore my vet and even though I moved out of that town, I have an obligation to my cats
It also gave me a reason to see one of my old rescues that my vet took in
All I have to do is whistle and he still comes a running
My country vet has her practice on the same property she lives on
Jr who is the rescue, wanted to stay outside and she has 5 or so acres
He follows her around like a dog when she does her chores
Anyhow, it was nice being able to pet him today

WolfyOne 03-18-2011 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daisygrrl (Post 303830)
Rescues are the bestest! ;)

Oh, gosh, I've never heard anything negative about Greenies--but I'll look into it, Wolfy--thanks!

Aww, poor Queenie... you've, no doubt, even tried those pill hider thingies (pill pockets, I believe)... not sure if anyone else has any ideas on the subject.

Jr. sounds absolutely adorable...

What is a pill pocket?
I'd try it on Sophie if I think it really worked
I tried a pill pusher I got from the vet and couldn't use it like her
So, that was a bust and waste of money, lol

If you google Greenies and medical problems for dogs, you'll read what I mean
I can't in good mind feed them to my cats knowing what they do to dogs
And FYI, my rescues get only Science Diet, they go through 3 big bags a month
So spoiled being indoors that they don't even try and get out when the front door opens

1PlayfulFemme 03-18-2011 05:01 PM

We have a HOUSEFUL of furbabies! (The boxers are insisting I mention them even though it's a CATS thread....so, we have two..Hannah & Hunter)

Now! Onto the cats!!

Our oldest baby is Little One and he is 13, we have his children, Spike & Princess, both 12. Then we have Pepper, who was my sister's cat, but became ours again recently (the first time while she & her husband were stationed in Japan, recently after a sudden move found her with a need for a home) and her three children (Kachina, Brianna, and Becca). We have Sage who was a rescue when my wife lived in Reno...who loves Car rides and other magical things. We have a cat lady across the street who has quite the collection of feral cats that she isn't the best mom to....from her, we have: Vegas, Sampson, Hercules, Max & Nina (the last two are my one-eyed, super big hearted babies). And finally, we have Chance who was found in a dumpster with his brother & sister when he was two days old...we lost Sunny & Lucy, but Chance is strong & amazing (and SIX years old!) :)

All of ours get fixed upon entering the house, assuming they are in good health. The ones with children, came pregnant or with the children already around. I wouldn't trade one of them...
:)

Soft*Silver 03-18-2011 05:12 PM

I have Mr Smitty the one eyed rocking on ancient limping kitty. He was from a no kill cat shelter. I also took in a throw away cat from a neighbor who moved and left her behind. I had named her Ms Bea but she ended up being called Cat Face the Bold and Beautiful. She is the royal queen of the house and she deserves it. She protects Mr Smitty from dangers. He has no claws (I didnt do that to him) and she does.

I would love one more cat.Both of them are quite old (in the teen years) but I am going to wait. Until money comes in, I cant afford another animal...

WolfyOne 03-18-2011 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by softness (Post 303844)
I have Mr Smitty the one eyed rocking on ancient limping kitty. He was from a no kill cat shelter. I also took in a throw away cat from a neighbor who moved and left her behind. I had named her Ms Bea but she ended up being called Cat Face the Bold and Beautiful. She is the royal queen of the house and she deserves it. She protects Mr Smitty from dangers. He has no claws (I didnt do that to him) and she does.

I would love one more cat.Both of them are quite old (in the teen years) but I am going to wait. Until money comes in, I cant afford another animal...

Hey, I'd bring one to LR for you if you had a way to get it home.....just saying :D
Mine are already fixed, each and everyone of them has it's own story to tell

daisygrrl 03-18-2011 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WolfyOne (Post 303836)
What is a pill pocket?

A Pill Pocket is a nifty little treat where you can hide the meds; while the ones that I've seen are Greenies, I know there are other brands...

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CDYQ8gIwBA#

Daisy, who's going to investigate Greenies now...

Soft*Silver 03-18-2011 05:34 PM

unless PJ is driving ...nope, no way to get it back here...lol. (PJ lives in my area)

Quote:

Originally Posted by WolfyOne (Post 303849)
Hey, I'd bring one to LR for you if you had a way to get it home.....just saying :D
Mine are already fixed, each and everyone of them has it's own story to tell