Butch Femme Planet

Butch Femme Planet (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/index.php)
-   Celebrity, Music, Television, Internet Culture (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Will you please tell me about lesbian, b-f, ftm, etc movies you have enjoyed. (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2946)

iamkeri1 03-13-2011 02:35 AM

Will you please tell me about lesbian, b-f, ftm, etc movies you have enjoyed.

Hi y'all
A recent visit from a friend enlightened me to the fact that I have missed out on many great films I would really like to see. I'd really appreciate it if you would recommend your favorites.

Thanks so much for your help.
Smooches,
Keri

CherryFemme 03-14-2011 12:16 AM

Lesbian Movie List

Oh do I have a lesbian film for you to watch---

Claire of the Moon

But Wait-- You mentioned the word "enjoy" and I would not say that I "enjoyed" this film very much per se...but it is a lesbian film.

This film was a "must see" for all new housemates in the Santa Cruz Radical Lesbian Seperatist Commune*** that I lived in when I was very young.

If you decide to watch it, you may want to include a bottle of Jack to help you get through it.

Another radical lesbian seperatist movie that the commune had on hand was.... Salmonberries. Again, I reccomend you watching this with a bottle of your favorite spirit.

This film is a must-see for all KD Lang fans who always wanted to see her naked.

:)

~CF

***(before you judge me too harshly, please know that yes, I was kicked out because I was busted wearing lipstick/heels that were in serious violation of radical lesbian policy-- not to mention the tg butch who was in the early stages of transition who I began dating. Again, I was very young.)

betenoire 03-14-2011 12:25 AM

I thought this movie was kinda interesting:

and besides, who doesn't like the circus?

Arwen 03-14-2011 12:26 AM

I loved "Desert Hearts".

"Clare of the Moon" would take more than one bottle of Jack for me to watch again. I actually paid money to see that awful thing. UGH

betenoire 03-14-2011 12:31 AM

Oh, and I'm not going to lie. I genuinely LOVE this movie:

And the soundtrack is fucking awesome.

(No, it's not specifically a "lesbian movie". But it IS a really rad movie!)

CherryFemme 03-14-2011 12:52 AM

Exidos

Quote:

Originally Posted by betenoire (Post 300868)
Oh, and I'm not going to lie. I genuinely LOVE this movie:

And the soundtrack is fucking awesome.

(No, it's not specifically a "lesbian movie". But it IS a really rad movie!)

Oh good call, Ms. B. I loved that movie-- even tho' it was a little close to home.
(My mother was really into Exidos International, need I say more?)

~CF

betenoire 03-14-2011 01:01 AM

Ugh, Cherry. That's hard. :(

~~~

I've never seen this, but always meant to.

betenoire 03-14-2011 01:13 AM

I hated this movie:

Oh god, I remember all of my friends were like "you haaaaave to see this movie! the fingernail clipping scene is soooooo hot." I just really -really- hated it.

But, you know. Clearly lots of people liked it - so there's a chance that you might. :)

CherryFemme 03-14-2011 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by betenoire (Post 300875)
I hated this movie:

Oh god, I remember all of my friends were like "you haaaaave to see this movie! the fingernail clipping scene is soooooo hot." I just really -really- hated it.

But, you know. Clearly lots of people liked it - so there's a chance that you might. :)

We had the same friends. I had to watch the stupid fingernail clipping scene too-- over and over and over. My friends kept re-winding "the clipping" scene and freaking out. You would have thought that Lancelot just found the holy grail.

Did you see Heavenly Creatures?

~CF

betenoire 03-14-2011 01:37 AM

Nick owns and loves the hell out of this movie. I thought it was sweet, but I don't know that I could watch it over and over again or anything. I DO love me some Sharon Gless, though.

~~~

It's worth a watch (it's not specifically a lesbian movie, but it's relevant). I LOVE Ally Sheedy. The movie was pretty good - although it's also part of what prompted my "oh my god, can someone please make a queer movie where the women aren't total assholes or on drugs and nobody dies or has a hidden agenda?" meltdown. ;)

~~~

Worth watching for the reference to what Little Sister's (Queer bookstore in Vancouver) was dealing with at the time this movie was made. Also super fun = Maggie's angel outfit, the mom cracking open every vibrator she can find in search for more batteries, and "I'm Not A Fucking Drag Queen".

~~~

It's been a long time, so I can't remember how much I genuinely liked this movie. I DO remember that when I saw it that it met my "post teenage angst" needs quite nicely, that I liked the soundtrack, and that the girl with the pink hair was my hero

betenoire 03-14-2011 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CherryFemme (Post 300879)
Did you see Heavenly Creatures?

~CF

Yeah, I saw Heavenly Creatures. I never got the impression that the two young women were -actually- lesbians...I just thought that they were unhealthy. And I mean, obviously they were unhealthy. Holy shit.

I really love Kate Winslet and Melanie Lynskey, though. I don't think I've ever not liked anything that either of them has ever done. (was that grammatically sensible??)

CherryFemme 03-14-2011 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by betenoire (Post 300883)
I really love Kate Winslet and Melanie Lynskey, though. I don't think I've ever not liked anything that either of them has ever done. (was that grammatically sensible??)

Solid performance and I enjoyed the writing on an event that was based on a true story.

Ok-- How about Gia?

I keep waiting for someone to mention "A Girl Thing".

*sigh* I was very sad when I watched that movie. I wanted it to be something it was not. I kept waiting for "the butch" to enter a scene and they never did. Very Disappointing. C-

~CF

dykeumentary 03-14-2011 01:57 AM

Catherine Deneueve and Susan Sarandan doing it in "The Hunger."

Ok, I will be honest, Catherine Deneuve and/or Susan Sarandan doing anything in anything is hot, but doing it with each other is mind boggling! (then toss in David Bowie and Ann Magnusen... )*fans self*

CherryFemme 03-14-2011 02:05 AM

Movie Notes

[QUOTE=betenoire;300880]
ALLY SHEEDY and HIGH ART
~~~

LOL I watched this ONLY because Ally Sheedy was in it. I think I had a left-over crush on her from "The Breakfast Club".
It's worth a watch (it's not specifically a lesbian movie, but it's relevant). I LOVE Ally Sheedy. The movie was pretty good - although it's also part of what prompted my "oh my god, can someone please make a queer movie where the women aren't total assholes or on drugs and nobody dies or has a hidden agenda?" meltdown. ;)

The ending was very "Children's Hour" -ish. Again, another let down. I wanted Ally to end up differently and be a hell of a lot stronger. She started out well, but in the end, I give this one a C-.

~~~

betenoire 03-14-2011 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CherryFemme (Post 300885)
Solid performance and I enjoyed the writing on an event that was based on a true story.

Ok-- How about Gia?

I keep waiting for someone to mention "A Girl Thing".

*sigh* I was very sad when I watched that movie. I wanted it to be something it was not. I kept waiting for "the butch" to enter a scene and they never did. Very Disappointing. C-

~CF

I've actually never seen Gia all the way through, if you can believe it. I keep TRYING to watch it but for some reason it never works out. (Like I get distracted, or the phone rings, or I fall asleep, or or or.) Besides, I cannot STAND Angelina Jolie. :(

I've also never seen A Girl Thing. Or heard of it, wow.

You know, my favourite movies that I consider "Queer" movies aren't even necessarily queer - if that makes sense. Like Foxfire, for example. It's about young women figuring their shit out and taking care of themselves and each other and growing up - it's just the sort of thing that speaks to the little bi-dyke in me in a way that movies that are actually ABOUT being Queer never can/do.

And besides (re: Foxfire) Jenny Shimizu is so hot that I could just about crawl right out of my skin. ;)

betenoire 03-14-2011 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dykeumentary (Post 300886)

Ok, I will be honest, Catherine Deneuve and/or Susan Sarandan doing anything in anything is hot, but doing it with each other is mind boggling! (then toss in David Bowie and Ann Magnusen... )*fans self*

Oh HELL to the yes on that! :)

CherryFemme 03-14-2011 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dykeumentary (Post 300886)

Ok-- that was a good one. Good call.

I mean, who would not want to do Catherine Deneueve?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Along the lines of "But I'm A Cheerleader" ~~ "Oranges are not the only Fruit"

I enjoyed the drama, but... I enjoyed the book more.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Speaking of Books I enjoyed more...
"Tipping the Velvet"

But the movie was still played out pretty well... I am not slamming it as much as I am Claire of the Moon... then again, blackboot HATED it.

Movies, like art, are subjective.

~CF

betenoire 03-14-2011 02:24 AM

And I know that these are "boy movies" but they're actually both pretty great:

This is one of my favourite movies. I can't help it.

Best line ever: "Are you saying that my Nino is banging your Angelo?" "No, I'm saying it's the other way around!"

~~~

Okay, it's not fantastic. But I have a real soft spot for the 80s -and- "coming of age" movies, so...

Besides: Bonus points for Lea DeLaria!

CherryFemme 03-14-2011 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by betenoire (Post 300893)
And I know that these are "boy movies" but they're actually both pretty great

Besides: Bonus points for Lea DeLaria!

oooo if we are going review Gay boy flicks, we totally need to include Jeff Stryker’s Underground 1997 and can I add something by Peter North? <wink>

Oh wait, I think we are deviating off topic here...

ok-- back to Keri's Request:

Remember these?

1. Southern Comfort
2. Sir: Just a Normal Guy
3. Venus Boys (or was it Venus Boyz-- I forget)

Oh oh oh-- and Hedwig and the Angry Inch? I mean, hey... if we are brainstorming at midnight...

You mentioned soundtracks... I still play my "Priscilla Queen of the Desert" soundtrack when I go on roadtrips to North Shore. (ops..once again, deviating off topic, but I think there is a reference to a lesbian someplace in the film?)

Ok-- my last post before I pass out from exhaustion... I saw a couple of really great flicks through the Tranny Fest (San Francisco Transgender Film Festival) but I cannot find their titles. It would be another great place to look for films tho'.

XXOO,
~CF

Night Bet.

betenoire 03-14-2011 03:13 AM

Goodnight, Cherry. :) I'm outta here for the night too.