Butch Femme Planet

Butch Femme Planet (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The News (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=117)
-   -   "Ex-Gay" Fliers Distributed At Maryland High Schools (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=824)

Soon 02-06-2010 04:21 PM

"Ex-Gay" Fliers Distributed At Maryland High Schools

Potomac students get fliers saying therapy turns gays straight

By Michael Birnbaum
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, February 5, 2010; B03

Some Montgomery County high schools passed out fliers this week from an organization that contends gays can become heterosexual through therapy, and the schools say they cannot prevent the use of their distribution system by such groups.

The fliers, from the group Parents and Friends of Ex-Gays and Gays, were distributed Thursday alongside report cards by teachers at Winston Churchill High School in Potomac. The group says it delivered them to about half the county's high schools this week and plans to do the same at the remaining high schools at the end of the school year.

The schools are required to distribute literature that isn't deemed hate speech from any registered nonprofit organization four times a year, the result of a 2006 lawsuit, said Dana Tofig, a spokesman for the Montgomery County Public Schools.

School officials said that while they aren't always happy with everything that goes home with students, their hands are tied by the results of the litigation.

"These fliers are probably counter to what is available in our health curriculum, but that curriculum focuses on respect, and we respect freedom of speech," said Patricia O'Neill (Bethesda-Chevy Chase), president of the Montgomery County Board of Education.

The flier, printed on one side of a sheet of paper, says that "every year thousands of people with unwanted same-sex attractions make the personal decision to leave a gay identity." At the bottom, it includes a disclaimer that the content is not sponsored by the Montgomery County Board of Education, the school or the superintendent.

The head of the group said that the effort is simply a way to distribute information.

"We believe that people have the right to seek change if they're unhappy," said Regina Griggs, the organization's director. "No one's telling anybody that they have to support our position."

She said the group had distributed the fliers in Montgomery schools in past years, though it wasn't done last year.

Semantics 02-06-2010 04:49 PM

I'm really disappointed to hear about this.

The fact that a public school is distributing information on and promoting a therapy that frowned upon by mainstream medical and psychological associations is infuriating.

Quote:

The schools are required to distribute literature that isn't deemed hate speech from any registered nonprofit organization four times a year, the result of a 2006 lawsuit, said Dana Tofig, a spokesman for the Montgomery County Public Schools.
I'm going to look for more info on that, because the words required and any sound like BS.

SuperFemme 02-06-2010 04:53 PM

I think the fliers fall under the hate speech clause. Just saying.

Soon 02-06-2010 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Semantics (Post 45522)
I'm really disappointed to hear about this.

The fact that a public school is distributing information on and promoting a therapy that frowned upon by mainstream medical and psychological associations is infuriating.

I'm going to look for more info on that, because the words required and any sound like BS.

I really don't fully understand HOW this can happen--don't they have a choice as to WHICH non-profit literature is handout out ?? --with their report cards even, ffs!!

The religious right are always talking about bringing the gay *lifestyle* into the school system, but, then, this is allowed?

Thanks for looking more into it, Semantics.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperFemme (Post 45524)
I think the fliers fall under the hate speech clause. Just saying.

I completely agree that this is hate literature.

What a destructive message to send to students! To those who are bigoted, it will just reinforce their notions that there is something wrong that needs to be cured with their fellow queer classmates.

For those queer students, well, we all know the stats on depression, bullying and rates of suicide.

I'm just beside myself with anger at this story.

suebee 02-06-2010 05:07 PM

Do they REALLY think it's a "lifestyle choice"?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYRhVcJsypg&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube- Mom Spanked the Gay Out of Me![/ame]

Soon 02-06-2010 05:10 PM

I don't care if me being queer is a choice or not.

Sending reparative (bogus) therapy literature home with students and their report cards has NO place in the schools.

SuperFemme 02-06-2010 05:28 PM

Did we not just enact Federal Law that prevents this kind of shit?

I say we all write to the Trevor Project and have them insert fliers in the next set of report cards. Because I promise you the suicide rate is going to go up in this school.

http://www.thetrevorproject.org/home2.aspx

Hudson 02-06-2010 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cybersuebee (Post 45533)

by the sound of him, i think she missed some gay.

otherwise, hot story.

Andrew, Jr. 02-06-2010 06:54 PM

How sad. I hope it gets pulled asap.

Andrew
:vigil: