Butch Femme Planet

Butch Femme Planet (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Fluffy Stuff: Flirting, Humor, Chat (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   What are you reading? (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1589)

Kätzchen 05-31-2021 11:12 AM

Birthday books for my summertime reads

Rico gave me books by Jojo Moyes for my birthday last week. I have enough of her books for summertime reading.

I just started The Giver of Stars. It takes place during the Depression era. From the author of Me Before You, set in Depression-era America, a breathtaking story of five extraordinary women and their remarkable journey through the mountains of Kentucky and beyond.

https://cdn.blackstonepublishing.com...8ki-square.jpg

I plan to open up other books soon, by Moyes: Me Before You (The trilogy: Before You, After You, Still Me).

You can read about this series of stories, published by Penguin Random House here.

randrum 06-02-2021 05:38 PM

The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid

GeorgiaMa'am 06-02-2021 07:24 PM

Insider Art: A Compendium of Comics, Crafts and Cats, Shelly Bond

150 female and non-binary worldwide artists created this book during the pandemic. There are short comics, essays, craft projects, and illustrations (mostly of cats!). It's a fun read for someone with a short attention span. It's also the perfect book to "read" (while intermittently dozing) during a 6-hour chemo treatment. You can easily drift through this book, selecting items here and there to peruse - no need to read them in order. I imagine it would make a great gift for someone who is a bathroom reader.

homoe 06-11-2021 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bèsame* (Post 1260121)
Wonderfully written. This author's first novel, captivating writing style, held my attention. It was a "I can't put it down". Highly recommend, even if you have to be 99 on a waiting list!

If I recall, several posted about how good this book was! Just like The Help, I waited and waited on picking it up! It was good and I wished I'd of jumped on the band wagon sooner!

I just finished The Plot by Jean Hanff Korelitz also the author of You Should Have Known which was the bases for HBO's mini series The Undoing.

I enjoyed The Plot but I had it figured out way early.

homoe 06-14-2021 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by randrum (Post 1284069)

I just looked this title up and it looks interesting randrum.

Do you recommend it?

firecat242 06-18-2021 01:26 AM

On Fascism by Mathew MacWilliams. Informative, educational, and necessary. We need to know this information in order to, not just survive, but to heal as well.
And for light reading Little Boy Blue by M. J. Alridge. Detective crime novel with some very interesting female characters.

Orema 12-18-2021 09:34 AM

Any obits and articles I can find on bell hooks.

All the Best Jazz Albums lists I can find.

The Jemima Code audio book. It's an excellent source on the history of food by Black Americans and our impact on American food.

Listening to an LGBTQ+ anthology by 20th century BIPOC writers.

A couple articles on American system of tipping and how it's rooted in the treatment of enslaved people.

Stone-Butch 12-18-2021 04:45 PM

Reading

"Buffy Ste Marie"

Biography Life of a Canadian Native singer who survived all the things of childhood that would make most of us shrink. Then, rose to stardom.

"Face in the Water"

A true documentary concerning the state of things in Mental Institutions from back not so far to present. This is presented by a woman who got depressed and was institutionalized and she speaks of the treatment with shock therapy and medications that can turn unhappy people into zombies while the medical community calls it cure. Very deep book.

Stone-Butch 12-19-2021 10:04 PM

Started two others but today I made a point of finishing my last book "Women's Madness" (mysogyny or mental illness ) concerning women from the time of witches to present day around the world of women being held to blame for all the worlds ills including their own. More than we could ever know about the mistreatment of women throughout history. (I do not like that word as it stands true for all we learn his story).

firecat242 01-18-2022 11:14 AM

Water's Edge by Gregg Olsen. Fast easy read. Book 2 in a trilogy.
Twilight of Democracy by Anne Applebaum. Just started this one. I am hopeful that at the end I will understand why people are moving towards a more authoritarianism mind set. It truly baffles me. :glasses:

Kätzchen 01-19-2022 05:50 PM

I'm reading from two books (both are excellent)

1) The Big Cheat: How D----d T---p Fleeced America and Enriched Himself and His Family (Author: David C. Johnston, November 2021).

2) Unthinkable (Author: Senator Jamie Raskin, January 2022).

____________________.

I am nowhere near finished reading from either book, but both books provide inescapable truths/facts about the former con-man-grifter-in-chief and what is at stake for American Democracy.

Bèsame* 01-24-2022 07:23 AM

Well, I'm quite proud of myself. I actually read 16 books in the last 6 months of last year. Most where short novels, murder mysteries and a few smutty reads.😉

I forgot I was placed on a wait list last Nov. I was number 31. I totally forgot about it. It was a nice surprise come Jan 4th. I read it, and so did my Mom and a co-worker before I had to turn it back in. It's a Reece Witherspoon book club pick.

The Last Thing He Told Me...Laura Dave

So far this year, I'm on my 3rd book.
Choose Me...Tess Gerritsen and Gary Braver

Keeps me off of social media and everyone's opinions!

Orema 01-31-2022 04:13 AM

Kindred, written by Octavia E. Butler, audiobook read by actress Kim Staunton, borrowed from HooplaDigital.com

Ms. Butler was a fabulous writer. She got and kept my attention from the opening sentence. And each chapter that I made it through could stand on its own. It’s the kind of book that I wanted to read slowly to be able to think about each chapter because there was so much to unpack. So very good.

But I stopped reading at chapter three because it was too traumatic for me. I don’t want any part of 1812 Antebellum Maryland. She make it too real for me. I felt the pain of others. That was her intention. I understand.

I’m still fascinated by it and bits and parts keep returning to me. I might return to the book to continue reading it, but not now.

homoe 02-16-2022 10:17 AM

just finished............

Bag Man by Rachel Maddow and Michael Yarvitz -

It's about the downfall of Vice President Agnew.

If I'm not mistaken Rachel will spend some time on the production of this into a movie....:movieguy:

firecat242 02-18-2022 07:29 AM

Why Women are Blamed for Everything.....Dr Jessica Taylor

Women's Madness Jane Ussher.

It's a battle to keep my blood pressure down:|

firecat242 02-18-2022 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by randrum (Post 1284069)

Enjoyed this book. Nice twist. And yes I cried.

firecat242 06-23-2022 12:04 PM

Read Write Code by Jeremy Keeshin Computer programming.

Oh Lord I am such a geek.

FireSignFemme 06-23-2022 05:16 PM

Dreisbach's Handbook of Poisoning. It sounds better than it is. I'm writing. I need refference material.

firecat242 06-28-2022 06:17 AM

Zoo by James Patterson and Michael Ledwidge

The animals are fighting back....poetic justice.

bright_arrow 08-19-2022 03:06 AM

Helltrain by Iain Rob Wright (third book in series)