Butch Femme Planet

Butch Femme Planet (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/index.php)
-   Finding Your People - Special Groups (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=116)
-   -   Lounge for Deaf people and their allies (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5110)

nycfem 05-29-2012 02:50 PM

Lounge for Deaf people and their allies

While I'm hearing, I work at a school for the Deaf and love Deaf culture and sign language. This thread is a hang out space for BFP members who are Deaf, hard of hearing, CODA, ASL interpreters, or otherwise interested in various aspects of Deaf culture. Casual/socializing and serious discussion are both welcome here. When you first post on the thread, please let us know what brings you to it and anything else you want to say!

Electrocell 05-29-2012 03:18 PM

Wouldn't mind learning how to sign.

Viola 05-29-2012 03:31 PM

i hear now, but was deaf/hardhearing many years back

I'm hearing, however had many years either deaf or hard of hearing.

I wrote a lot and then deleted it.

I think in ABA which gets me in trouble., ABA is where dominate does the A then follows the reaction of submissive doing B that will then echo A

However I do so through this language, and I forget there's communication.

I'm seeking to break this ABA notion and learn how to communicate.

Anybody here relate with this.

Anybody here had their hearing restored? and find challenge?

hearing restore through tubes; that's all., no biggy, many had this done., so perhaps I sound I exaduate then.

but really I'm not exaduating.

I was deaf/heard of hearing for many years, due to neglect as I wasn't allow to see docs.

something to do with grandparents from germany, uh?

grandparents were afraid of losing me if docs find out about me; uh?

grandparents beliefs did me harm.

anybody relate in any way?

Rockinonahigh 05-29-2012 03:32 PM

Wow,im glad to see this subject posted.I'm hearing chalenged,some peole call it impared..well no, im not impared just cant hear,impared sounds like im broken wich I am not.Being hearing chalenged can be both a pain in the ass as well as a blessing.I barely do asl but read lips like a wild child,I have hearing aids(gathering dust in a box) I use them when I need to but the normal hearing range im suposed to use drives me nuts over time with the constant chatter of life,last night I didnt hear the water runing that I forgot to totaly turn off and flooded the bathroom floor..so glad its tile(not the first time).Onething that bugs me is normal hearing people or people who want to be rude is thy think for me to realise they are talking to me is toeither get up in my face or touch me to make shure I get it...some will down right be rude about it.I told someone once I had a hearing issue,I was a long way from dead so becareful what you say.

nycfem 05-29-2012 03:32 PM

Hi, Electrocell,

Just wanted to share a great site:

http://www.lifeprint.com/

Learning the alphabet by heart and ideally numbers 1-25 helps a lot to start out with! So many signs are made using variations of the alphabet that practicing it until you can do it really fast is very helpful!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Electrocell (Post 594082)
Wouldn't mind learning how to sign.

Electrocell 05-29-2012 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nycfembbw (Post 594092)
Hi, Electrocell,

Just wanted to share a great site:

http://www.lifeprint.com/

Learning the alphabet by heart and ideally numbers 1-25 helps a lot to start out with! So many signs are made using variations of the alphabet that practicing it until you can do it really fast is very helpful!

Thanks appreciate it. Had a cousin who taught the deaf as well a friend in St Louis.

Electrocell 05-29-2012 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Viola (Post 594090)
I'm hearing, however had many years either deaf or hard of hearing.

I wrote a lot and then deleted it.

I think in ABA which gets me in trouble., ABA is where dominate does the A then follows the reaction of submissive doing B that will then echo A

However I do so through this language, and I forget there's communication.

I'm seeking to break this ABA notion and learn how to communicate.

Anybody here relate with this.

Anybody here had their hearing restored? and find challenge?

hearing restore through tubes; that's all., no biggy, many had this done., so perhaps I sound I exaduate then.

but really I'm not exaduating.

I was deaf/heard of hearing for many years, due to neglect as I wasn't allow to see docs.

something to do with grandparents from germany, uh?

grandparents were afraid of losing me if docs find out about me; uh?

grandparents beliefs did me harm.

anybody relate in any way?

What is ABA?

girl_dee 05-29-2012 03:45 PM

i am not deaf but i learned how to fingerspell when i was 12. i always wanted to work with non-hearing folks. i taught myself some sign in the last year but i would love to take a course at the college!

nycfem 05-29-2012 03:49 PM

I want to add to anyone unfamiliar with Deaf culture that ASL is NOT a written language AND uses completely different grammar. E.G. "I'll get my book" is signed "Book get I." There's a terrible stereotype that because some Deaf people's written English is not fluent that they are not as intelligent. That couldn't be further from the truth.

nycfem 05-29-2012 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Electrocell (Post 594099)
What is ABA?

We use ABA teaching consultants at times at our school.

Here's a link:

http://rsaffran.tripod.com/whatisaba.html

Electrocell 05-29-2012 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nycfembbw (Post 594112)
We use ABA teaching consultants at times at our school.

Here's a link:

http://rsaffran.tripod.com/whatisaba.html

OK thanks.

Electrocell 05-29-2012 04:43 PM

So ABA is used for people with autism--- that's good to know.

DamonK 05-29-2012 05:33 PM

Deaf.

I have aids. If you look at me, we will get along. Obviously, use grammar and enunciate. Raise your voice at me like I'm stupid, we won't get along.

I sign fluently. I use ASL and SEE.

I speak. Oh yeah, I was born and raised in Texas. I ain't never been to Britain. It's the Texas mixed with the "deaf accent" as I call it. I keep getting asked.

NYC has volunteered herself to rescue me at the reunion if needed.

Not quite sure I told her that yet.... Teasing

I speak grudgingly. If I panic, I forget my words and sign. I can't say anything unless I've seen it in sign in my head.

Last thing, ya'll got to learn to give guys like me a second to process. I mean ya'll like entire world. Just because I heard your voice don't quite mean I know what you said... Yet.

Rockinonahigh 05-29-2012 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DamonK (Post 594174)
Deaf.

I have aids. If you look at me, we will get along. Obviously, use grammar and enunciate. Raise your voice at me like I'm stupid, we won't get along.

I sign fluently. I use ASL and SEE.

I speak. Oh yeah, I was born and raised in Texas. I ain't never been to Britain. It's the Texas mixed with the "deaf accent" as I call it. I keep getting asked.

NYC has volunteered herself to rescue me at the reunion if needed.

Not quite sure I told her that yet.... Teasing

I speak grudgingly. If I panic, I forget my words and sign. I can't say anything unless I've seen it in sign in my head.

Last thing, ya'll got to learn to give guys like me a second to process. I mean ya'll like entire world. Just because I heard your voice don't quite mean I know what you said... Yet.

You are so right on this statement,process takes a fue minits sometimes.

Rockinonahigh 05-29-2012 06:04 PM

Being deaf I often miss things in a conversation,last night some friends at the pool hall were jokeing around about something wich totaly flew over my head with all the noise and such.Lots of times I feel like a dork when this happends cause I wonder what the non deaf people are thinking im stupid or something.
My pool team and I have worked out a way to get my attention when the team captain thinks I need a coaching or word of advise on something I didnt see or notice,but as long as I have played on this team I still dont get into long conversations with anyone mostly because in reality pool is all we have thats in common.The daily drama of theire lives is not anything I care to be a part of.Then there is the left out feeling when I dont blend in well in groups that feel like dealing with a deaf person is a bother,and they do even if they say it dosent.Then there is all the speach therapy I have had to speak as clear as I do,its a lot of work to be clear cause I get tired and fall back into less clear speach or drop words.

Rockinonahigh 05-29-2012 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cajun_dee (Post 594104)
i am not deaf but i learned how to fingerspell when i was 12. i always wanted to work with non-hearing folks. i taught myself some sign in the last year but i would love to take a course at the college!

Check with the deaf action center to see if they offer clases or the comunity college (if you have one) sometimes the class's are free.

DamonK 05-29-2012 06:36 PM

Speech therapy...

I can only remember one speech therapist I liked.

I saw her a few years ago.

I had 9+ years of it.

I think the most valuable lesson for me in the class was to learn to hear by vibration.

starryeyes 05-29-2012 06:40 PM

I am a certified interpreter in San Diego! Yay! I love meeting deaf/hoh/interpreters/allies as well! Hugs!

DamonK 05-29-2012 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by starryeyes (Post 594224)
I am a certified interpreter in San Diego! Yay! I love meeting deaf/hoh/interpreters/allies as well! Hugs!

I really can't count the number of interpreters I've had.

But...

As I've gotten older, I've realized something I forgot to tell most of my interpreters...

Thanks.

tantalizingfemme 05-29-2012 06:44 PM

I also deal with hearing challenges. While I may hear sounds, I have a difficult time understanding what someone is actually saying; especially if the person has a deeper voice. I hear high tones fine, but lower, deeper tones either I don't hear at all or cannot make out words. I am notorious for asking people to repeat themselves, sometimes to where after I have asked them to repeat themselves numerous times down to one word not being understood, and then I end up repeating what I understood and then I request them to spell the word I am just not getting. People have been really good about it and if I see them get frustrated, I will then disclose my hearing impairment. It is very frustrating because even in the movie theater I lose a lot of what is being said. I think this is why I prefer action movies to dramas as action movies usually don't have a lot of talking.

I too have done the smile and nod and not understood a word someone has said. I watch lips and am very keen on watching body language to help me.

I have tried a hearing aid, but all it did was amplify background noise and holy crap.... forget when a siren goes off... I couldn't get the volume down fast enough.

I try my best to work with it everyday, and some days are okay, but then there are days where I just get tired... tired of feeling like I am missing out on some things. (which i am in a sense)

So hi to everyone.. :) And thanks nycfembbw for starting this thread.