Butch Femme Planet

Butch Femme Planet (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Fluffy Stuff: Flirting, Humor, Chat (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   What are you reading? (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1589)

Medusa 10-20-2013 10:22 PM

UGH! My reading is in a slump this past week!

Finished a rather boring Kaplan LSAT book.

Finished "Dr. Sleep" by Stephen King. It was entertaining but "thin" in places.

Finished "The Souls of Black Folk" by W.E.B. Du Bois. Heavy. Beautiful.

I just cracked "We Are Anonymous: Inside the Hacker World of LulzSec, Anonymous, and the Global Cyber Insurgency" by Parmy Olson.

Also have this one going: "Top Secret America: The Rise of the New American Security State" by Dana Priest

Martina 10-21-2013 12:21 AM

James Lee Burke, Creole Belle

Timothy Ferris, Seeing in the Dark: How Amateur Astronomers are Discovering the Wonders of the Universe

Greyson 10-21-2013 12:55 AM

Intertwined Lives: Margaret Mead, Ruth Benedict and Their Circle - Lois W. Banner

Sparkle 10-21-2013 07:43 AM

I've just started "[ame="http://www.amazon.com/And-Mountains-Echoed-Khaled-Hosseini/dp/159463176X"]And the Mountains Echoed[/ame]" by Kahled Hosseini

As with his other books this is an engaging read, from the get-go.

snip/

An unforgettable novel about finding a lost piece of yourself in someone else.

Khaled Hosseini, the #1 New York Times–bestselling author of The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns, has written a new novel about how we love, how we take care of one another, and how the choices we make resonate through generations. In this tale revolving around not just parents and children but brothers and sisters, cousins and caretakers, Hosseini explores the many ways in which families nurture, wound, betray, honor, and sacrifice for one another; and how often we are surprised by the actions of those closest to us, at the times that matter most. Following its characters and the ramifications of their lives and choices and loves around the globe—from Kabul to Paris to San Francisco to the Greek island of Tinos—the story expands gradually outward, becoming more emotionally complex and powerful with each turning page.

Shay McGee 10-21-2013 10:23 AM

I am reading This Is How We Grow By Dr. Christina Hibbert

Cronopia 10-21-2013 03:33 PM

Going Solo: The Extraordinary Rise and Surprising Appeal of Living Alone By Eric Klinenberg

This is a good read if you live alone if you don't you might fantasize about after.

PoeticSilence 10-22-2013 11:11 AM

So some of you know I changed some of my book habits and have been buying some books used. All my life I've been very snobbish about buying only NEW books. Then I switched to Kindle, so now aside from my approx. thousand books laying around the house and in shelves and piles.. I now have roughly a thousand books on my three different kindles. However, there are some books I refuse to buy on kindle. Art books, childrens books, poetry books (except for Rumi), and cook books, well, also books I might need to carry around with me for some reason or another. Anyways, I got an email from the company I buy my books from, and I'm sharing it.

Hi Ronnie,

We're just checking in to see if you received your order!

Your order number 12537669 included:

The Traveler

The Good Thief: A Novel

Coping with Lymphedema

So Recently Rent a World: New and Selected Poems

If your order hasn't blessed your mailbox just yet, heads are gonna roll in the Mishawaka warehouse! Seriously though, if you haven't received your order or are less than 108.8% satisfied, please be sure to let us know by submitting a ticket. Let us know what we can do to flabbergast you with service.

If you've really got some gumption, there's one other thing you can do to help. Become our fan on Facebook by clicking this link. It's the easiest way to let your friends know that you're part of our movement to fund literacy by buying books. You might also enjoy reading our blog.

Humbly Yours,

Better World Books

Fund literacy, care for the environment, and get a fair price on the books you want.
Better World Books (http://www.BetterWorldBooks.com )

justkim 10-23-2013 09:14 AM

Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand LOVED it!!! If you haven't read by all means please do...

I just picked up (finally) A Train In Winter by Caroline Moorehead, I have been looking for this book for sometime now and finally found it in paperback form.

Greyson 11-02-2013 09:50 AM

Occupy Religion: Theology of the Multitude - Joerg Rieger and Kwok Pui-lan

"Occupy religion aims to demystify and debunk religious doctrines and social teachings that provide both religious sanction and justification for economic and social inequality. It critiques religions institutions and structures that silence, discriminate, and marginalize people because of class, race, gender and sexuality, and thus hand the power to the 1 percent. Occupy religion calls religious communities to account and asks them to engage critically in transforming the world to make it just for all and sustainable for the environment."

Cailin 11-02-2013 08:10 PM

Update: Finally finished Memoirs of a Geisha. Took long enough. The movie was awesome, but like all its predecessors, the book is far better.

Currently attempted to read :Tell no one:. And....... I'm bored. But I'll see where it goes.

Shay McGee 11-03-2013 11:16 PM

Jesse James American Outlaw

puddin' 11-09-2013 11:07 PM

i read a lot and mana diff'rent genres...

currently engrossed in "mother earth, father sky" and getting reeled in non-stop.

(to be fair, it is meant fo' a much younger audience than me. yet, i'm intrigued none the less)

(http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...rth_Father_Sky)

Sparkle 11-09-2013 11:39 PM

I've just started reading 'The Goldfinch' by Donna Tartt
It's soooooooooo good, completely addictive, I don't want to put it down.

Venus007 11-13-2013 06:41 PM

I am finally reading Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card.

I have seen it on the shelves at book stores for years and the cover never appealed to me nor did the synopsis.

Well, I was wrong, it is a really good read. I am looking forward to exploring the other books in the series. I like the clean prose that Orson Scott Card writes in, not too sappy and full of pointless description yet still captures the bare bones of the moment so I am able to see the characters world.

The JD 11-14-2013 11:40 PM

I'm reading two books:

Double Down: Game Change 2012 by Mark Halperin and John Heilemann

Man of War: My Adventures in the World of Historical Reenactment by Charlie Schroeder

I'm far more into the second one.

Deirdre 11-15-2013 02:43 AM

I am waiting for that next great book that drags me in and has me reeling for weeks and months. But for now, I'm filling that gap with various stuff. Currently I am reading an old, old book by Lord Dunsany called "The King of Elfland's Daughter."

bright_arrow 11-18-2013 02:33 AM

The only reading I've been doing lately has been school reading.

The last book I read was Stormcaller, and the sequel to Apocalypse Z (I know there are many out there but I can't remember the name of the author, think he is from Cuba).

I am itching to get into a good, long book. I also read Ender's Game and enjoyed it, was a nice light read!

StillettoDoll 11-18-2013 05:00 AM

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51mQKlmr1ZL.jpg

Fancy 11-22-2013 08:34 AM

Four Short Plays by Lanford Wilson
(Days Ahead, The Madness of Lady Bright, This is the Rill Speaking, Say De Kooning)

and

Parfumerie adapted by E.P. Dowdall
(From the Hungarian play Illatszertár by Miklós László)

And...on my reading to do list:
Divergent by Veronica Roth
Mocking Jay by Suzanne Collins

Greco 11-22-2013 01:23 PM

Juicy Books.

"Running & Being" by George Sheehan, M.D.

This classic finally re-printed...he was a poet
in sensibility and his writing has been missed.

"The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle"

by Haruki Murakami

juicy, juicy, juicy writing.

Greco