Butch Femme Planet

Butch Femme Planet (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Fluffy Stuff: Flirting, Humor, Chat (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   What are you reading? (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1589)

ProfPacker 12-29-2018 12:21 AM

Jill Soloway's book which just came out, She Wants It. Is the first time I read "my story" about being nonbinary genderqueer in a way that really gripped me. I am not talking about her fame or her trans parent or the show. I am talking about her evolution to a butch identity and feeling not male or not female.

homoe 12-29-2018 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homoe (Post 1235963)
Come with Me by Helen Schulman

From Helen Schulman, the acclaimed author of the New York Times bestseller This Beautiful Life, comes another "gripping, potent, and blisteringly well-written story of family, dilemma, and consequence" (Elizabeth Gilbert)—a mind-bending novel set in Silicon Valley that challenges our modern constructs of attachment and love, purpose and fate.

Got it as a gift, looks good...:glasses:

It wasn't! I ended up having Mary return it..

Greco 01-25-2019 09:00 PM

Murakami

"Killing Commendatore" by my favorite
author Haruki Murakami...his latest came out in Oct 2018
is 700pgs if that means anything to you...it is a book to
be read slowly...it is one to savor in this Winter...and it's
just what I'm doing...date a girl who reads?
oh yes, and love a girl who enjoys reading Murakami...smiling
...terrific surreal...magical realism...if you enjoy these you'll
enjoy this novel.

It's interesting that Murakami writes his novels in Japanese
his native language and then they are translated into other
several languages. I sometimes want to learn Japanese to
understand what may be missing from the English
translations...better yet I will begin reading these in my
native language...now that would be interesting...

good reading, Greco

Martina 01-25-2019 09:23 PM

I finished Elaine Pagels' Why Religion? about a week ago. It's the memoir of a professor of religious studies. I had read a couple of her books back in the day, so I thought I'd try it. It was good. A lot about grief.

Now, Sigrid Nunez's The Friend

dark_crystal 01-26-2019 10:22 AM

With ears: The Last Black Unicorn by Tiffany Haddish.

With eyes: Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez.

Not a fan of Love in the Time of Cholera. The author should not have attempted to write the interior sexuality of ANY women, and the treatment of the black women is gross.

It's for book club though so i will press on. I guess the Tiffany Haddish book provides some balance at least.

firecat242 02-13-2019 10:35 AM

The Terror Dream by Susan Faludi. Remember Backlash? The saga continues.

Economics by Ha-Joon Chang. Fun book for a stuffy subject. Or I just love economics and will read anything about it.

Wrang1er 02-19-2019 04:57 PM

I just finished "Where the Crawdads Sing" by Delia Owens. I loved this book and highly recommend it.

Martina 02-27-2019 05:22 AM

I read a book called Winston's War after reading a book about the SAS, so I took a break from war and read a couple of Elizabeth Peters mysteries. They were kinda racist, I thought. Now I am reading The Push, which is a memoir by Tommy Caldwell, a famous rock climber. It's very good.

easygoingfemme 02-27-2019 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wrang1er (Post 1240918)
I just finished "Where the Crawdads Sing" by Delia Owens. I loved this book and highly recommend it.

I've been waiting for this book on reserve at the library for weeks! Maybe it will come in today before the snow tonight. That could be perfect.

cathexis 02-28-2019 01:26 AM

The used copy finally came. Glad these village/rural folks couldn't read through the shipping wrap.

Books I've been waiting for are.................Screw the Roses, Send Me the Thorns by Phillip Miller and Molly Devon

Different Loving by Gloria G. Brame, William D. Brame, and Jon Jacobs

homoe 03-03-2019 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cathexis (Post 1241578)
The used copy finally came. Glad these village/rural folks couldn't read through the shipping wrap.

Books I've been waiting for are.................Screw the Roses, Send Me the Thorns by Phillip Miller and Molly Devon

Different Loving by Gloria G. Brame, William D. Brame, and Jon Jacobs

Hey Bud, next time you've got a doctors appointment haul out one of those and sort of flash it about so anyone sitting near you can see! You'll be the talk of the town........:giggle:

Greco 03-03-2019 01:53 PM

R

"Killing Commendatore" was an intense and satisfying read.
If you enjoy going down mysterious, supernatural "rabbit holes"
than this Murakami novel is excellent.

Reading "Digital Minimalism" by Cal Newport non-fiction
and gives much, much "food for thought".

Greco

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greco (Post 1239160)

"Killing Commendatore" by my favorite
author Haruki Murakami...his latest came out in Oct 2018
is 700pgs if that means anything to you...it is a book to
be read slowly...it is one to savor in this Winter...and it's
just what I'm doing...date a girl who reads?
oh yes, and love a girl who enjoys reading Murakami...smiling
...terrific surreal...magical realism...if you enjoy these you'll
enjoy this novel.

It's interesting that Murakami writes his novels in Japanese
his native language and then they are translated into other
several languages. I sometimes want to learn Japanese to
understand what may be missing from the English
translations...better yet I will begin reading these in my
native language...now that would be interesting...

good reading, Greco

dark_crystal 03-03-2019 02:04 PM

Reading The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern and listening to Bad Blood, by John Carreyrou. Both for one book club, need to also be reading Longitude, by Dava Sobel, for the other book club.

Bèsame* 03-03-2019 05:15 PM

Canela 03-03-2019 06:13 PM

CANDIS Curriculum by Hazeldon

firecat242 03-04-2019 08:15 AM

Getting ready to start Good and Mad....the revolutionary power of women's anger by Rebecca Traister

Wrang1er 03-04-2019 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by easygoingfemme (Post 1241519)
I've been waiting for this book on reserve at the library for weeks! Maybe it will come in today before the snow tonight. That could be perfect.

You'll have to let me know if you enjoyed it as much as I did.

Martina 03-04-2019 09:20 AM

I love Dava Sobel. Loved Galileo's Daughter and the book about Copernicus. I am looking forward to reading the most recent one although I might not get to it for a little while. I wish someone would publish a collection of her best articles.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dark_crystal (Post 1241838)
Reading The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern and listening to Bad Blood, by John Carreyrou. Both for one book club, need to also be reading Longitude, by Dava Sobel, for the other book club.

FireSignFemme 03-04-2019 10:56 AM

Heading to the library today to browse, pick up something non-fiction. Which reminds me – Oh crap, I've got to get ready! J will be here in less than half an hour and I'm the one who woke her up saying – Hurry, hurry, lets go!

candy_coated_bitch 03-04-2019 02:34 PM

Dangerous Angels by Francesca Lia Block. Also What to Expect When You're Expecting.