Butch Femme Planet

Butch Femme Planet (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/index.php)
-   Careers, Work, Business (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   Are you OUT at work? (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2039)

skeeter_01 09-17-2010 09:00 AM

Are you OUT at work?

I work for a Big 10 university in the midwest. I'm very out at work infact when someone DOSEN'T know I'm always surprised! A few years back we had the legalization of gay marriage on the ballots here in this state and (of course) it didn't pass. My partner who also was working for the University at the time had people at work approach her and apologize for it not passing.

My job offers partner benifits and there is NO sexual orientation discrimiation allowed. There are about 8 of us in the dept that I work in, including a woman who is MTF, I LOVE my job!! :)
skeet

morningstar55 09-17-2010 09:18 AM

YES I am..... and being on the road im proud to have my lil rainbow flag up hangin from my passanger side visor... so oi guess im out everywhere my truck takes me... heh....
i just dont make a big issue out of it either.
always should be happy and proud of who you are.

adorable 09-17-2010 09:26 AM

Yep. And not only am I out at work, everyone refers to my partner as hy - even though they don't understand it. I work in a very liberal city though. I actually live 30 minutes away and we wouldn't be skipping down the street holding hands there. It's like night and day.

MaggieBluIze 09-17-2010 09:41 AM

Yes I am! :)

My supervisor is gay, his supervisor is gay, and many of my co-workers are gay as well. It's a happy little rainbow in our call center. :)

Linus 09-17-2010 10:04 AM

My colleagues are aware and we have a very strong anti-discrimination policy including gender and sexual orientation. My company is very supportive and my managers also. My clients, however, don't know. It's not relevant for them to know.

lipstixgal 09-17-2010 10:27 AM

Oh G-d no I wasn't out at school either only in the gay and lesbian group did I come out. It was very homophobic and since I live very close to NYC you would think otherwise but I think that the population that was there(mostly hispanic and black) it was a cultural thing, everyone was either with a boyfriend or pregnant!! As for teh internship I don't think so I would like to be though but I don't think so..:(

Isadora 09-17-2010 10:57 AM

Yes.

I am out about everything including my Leather life. I have been out for a very very long time to everyone.

Bard 09-17-2010 11:07 AM

Yes I am adn excepted for the the most part even protected by the guys I work with :police: there is a person in the department who has a problem with it but that is her problem she really can not make waves and really the patrol devision is what matters.. Now in my othe job in the military as a medic in the USAFR I am not and it kills me slowly. one o the graduate students at the university did a profile documentary on me and the duality on my lfie as a cop and a medic but I am who I am and can not nor will not be anything else a study in the contrasts the cowboi, the cop, the airman, the mother the partner and friend
:cigar2:

Arwen 09-17-2010 11:16 AM

Way way waaaaaaaaaaaay out. I make it a point to NOT hide because I certainly could.

The evil toddler Arwen gets a HUGE kick out of the reactions when the very slow finally catch up.

I had a co-worker (new on our team and at my last job) ask me, "But if you like mannish women, why don't you date women?"

You could see the guys on my team just cringe. They knew me. I'm blunt at times.

I smiled at him as I patted him gently on the leg. "Honey, my dates can buy the size I like."

I left it at that. The look when he got my meaning was PRICELESS. The others on my team harassed him unmercifully. He took it well though. Good kid. I don't think he expected this feminine, older woman (who he said reminded him of his MOM) to be queer.

Where I work now includes transgender in their anti-discrimination policy. At least two managers are openly gay and there are about five of us in the call center. Sadly, I've just learned that my company donated to the Tea Party. I'm going to write a letter and ask why they would support hate.

scootebaby 09-17-2010 11:28 AM

yes i am,and have been for a very long time...regardless where i work...all my employees know and have met Jo and know she is my girlfriend/partner....my coworkers at the other stores know and have also met JO...some of my customers know even...i dont broadcast it nor do i hide it...if asked i tell.....even my son doesnt hide the fact...he usually tells his friends before i ever meet them...he says if they have an issue with it he doesnt need them as friends

DamonK 09-17-2010 12:20 PM

Most of my coworkers know.

I don't hide it; I don't advertise it. I out myself half the time just by my looks.

A select few know my trans status, but they don't get it. I'm still called my bio-name and still referred to as she.

Whereas I don't like it, the way I see it is that I'm at work to work, not make friends. The ones that count call me he and Damon.

My residents, however, do NOT know. Like I said, I don't advertise it and my coworkers respect me enough to not advertise it either. If they do know, it's not from staff.

Apocalipstic 09-17-2010 01:33 PM

Though I live in tge South, I am very out and we hold hands wherever we go!

I think it is important to be out and stand PROUD!

Strappie 09-17-2010 01:37 PM

OUT.... and .... PROUD....

All my co-workers know, we have same sex beny's too!!

bright_arrow 09-17-2010 01:48 PM

Always been out :) Don't advertise, but I won't beat around the bush if it comes up

dreadgeek 09-17-2010 02:24 PM

Yes. I'm very out at work. My entire department has met my wife and a number of my co-workers were at our nuptials. Even my very conservative Christian co-worker calls my wife, well, my wife.

I got some grief when I first started there led, ironically, by a closet case but at the end of the day, the harassers are gone, I'm still there and I earned the respect of my co-workers for how I handled myself while it was going on.

:)

Cheers
Aj

Gayla 09-17-2010 02:35 PM

I don't think I'm ever "in" so coming out really isn't an issue.

It's not really anything I ever think about or am really concerned about, it's just something that is. I work from the assumption that everyone knows and it's a non-issue.

There are a couple of other agents in my office that may have a problem with it but no one has ever said anything to me. As far as clients, it's not something I beat them over the head with but it's not something I hide. Clients have a choice to work with me or not, and I have a choice to work with them or not. I think if it's an issue, they just move on to someone else. On the other side of that, I wouldn't really know if my clients have issues or not because we don't talk politics, gay rights, religion, etc. It's not like I only sell gay houses or only sell houses to gays.

As I said to someone a few weeks ago, I'm a flag waving liberal in an industry of people who are, well.. who are not flag waving liberals. If I choose who to work with based on their political beliefs, I probably wouldn't have much business. This goes not just for clients but all of the other people who I interact with on a daily basis to complete transactions. Again, I don't walk around waving my rainbow flag all day every day but it's not something I hide.

Apocalipstic 09-17-2010 02:43 PM

I purposefully chose an industry where my sexual orientation would never be a problem. I thought about teaching, but was afraid that here in TN people would show up with pitchforks to burn down my house.

Waldo 09-17-2010 03:09 PM

Would be hard for me to be closeted at work, but I live openly and refer to my girlfriend in context.

morningstar55 09-17-2010 03:09 PM

i have heard this happening.... there are sometimes it seems in a work place another woman will have a problem with it......
and then you hear , something to the effect of hoping you wont try anything with her.... and then you make it known she is NOT your type and she has Nothing you want...... then the woman gets offended with a huge ? mark.... LOL
ok did this story sound right ?? lol its something i have experienced and know a few others that had something like this happen.

Isadora 09-17-2010 03:14 PM

Old story: My mother asks me why I date women that look like men? Me: Because they last longer. Mom, with puzzled look that moved to understanding: Very Good Reason.

heh.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arwen (Post 192918)
Way way waaaaaaaaaaaay out. I make it a point to NOT hide because I certainly could.

The evil toddler Arwen gets a HUGE kick out of the reactions when the very slow finally catch up.

I had a co-worker (new on our team and at my last job) ask me, "But if you like mannish women, why don't you date women?"

You could see the guys on my team just cringe. They knew me. I'm blunt at times.

I smiled at him as I patted him gently on the leg. "Honey, my dates can buy the size I like."

I left it at that. The look when he got my meaning was PRICELESS. The others on my team harassed him unmercifully. He took it well though. Good kid. I don't think he expected this feminine, older woman (who he said reminded him of his MOM) to be queer.

Where I work now includes transgender in their anti-discrimination policy. At least two managers are openly gay and there are about five of us in the call center. Sadly, I've just learned that my company donated to the Tea Party. I'm going to write a letter and ask why they would support hate.