Butch Femme Planet

Butch Femme Planet (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hobbies, Crafts, Interests (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   BASEBALL! (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2171)

Abigail Crabby 04-03-2012 02:40 PM

RED SOX

WIN
LOSE
OR
DRAW

I
LOVE YOU

:happyjump:

:cheerleader:

girl_dee 04-03-2012 02:46 PM

Fenway ALL the way!!!!!!!

Some of the best nights of my life were spent watching the Sox at Fenway!

Hack 04-03-2012 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtLast (Post 557969)
Who is the starter for the Tigers? This is so kewl. I wanted to go to the SF home opener but can't- damn!

It will be their third game, so it will either be Max Scherzer or Rick Porcello, I think. Verlander starts on Opening Day, and I believe Doug Fister (best name ever!) is the Saturday starter. I am hoping for Scherzer. I love watching him pitch -- but not as much as I love, love, love watching Verlander. Verlander is my Tiger. :D

AtLast 04-03-2012 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hack (Post 558313)
It will be their third game, so it will either be Max Scherzer or Rick Porcello, I think. Verlander starts on Opening Day, and I believe Doug Fister (best name ever!) is the Saturday starter. I am hoping for Scherzer. I love watching him pitch -- but not as much as I love, love, love watching Verlander. Verlander is my Tiger. :D

Yup, I would so enjoy being at a game watching Verlander. I was so bummed that the Tigers didn't get in the WS last year for the entire team, but, I really wanted Verlander to get there. I love my Giants, but Detroit is a great team.

LOL... Fister.....

It was great to see Buster Posey back during last night's expo game here vs. the A's. And I am stoked that Crawford is on the starting roster this year at short. but, he has got to get his hitting up still. But he is pure beauty defensively. I like Cain a bunch but yikes his new contract was insane! 126.5 million over 6 years!!! Wonder how much Verlander will eventually make.

foxyshaman 04-04-2012 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtLast (Post 558384)
It was great to see Buster Posey back during last night's expo game here vs. the A's. And I am stoked that Crawford is on the starting roster this year at short. but, he has got to get his hitting up still. But he is pure beauty defensively. I like Cain a bunch but yikes his new contract was insane! 126.5 million over 6 years!!! Wonder how much Verlander will eventually make.

:clap: :dance2: Buster Posey is back... :dance1: <happy humming>

Ciaran 04-04-2012 02:50 PM

As the baseball season starts again, I always find myself looking over and over again at great moments through the Yankees' history:

Other sides compete, or in the case of the Red Sox they try to, but there is only one team in baseball.

Gráinne 04-04-2012 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ciaran (Post 558844)
As the baseball season starts again, I always find myself looking over and over again at great moments through the Yankees' history:

Other sides compete, or in the case of the Red Sox they try to, but there is only one team in baseball.

Right! The Cleveland Indians :eyebat:

RNguy 04-04-2012 04:24 PM

any other reds and indians fans ?

:) will my reds and Indians ever be great :) probably not but I'm loyal to them anyhow .

macele 04-04-2012 05:16 PM

i like both. i don't know much about the indians, but yeah, i like'em!

tazz 04-04-2012 05:54 PM

Are You Ready???

Let's GO Giants!!! Let's Go Giants!!! Let's Go Giants!!!

fuck yeah! ;)

betenoire 04-04-2012 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ciaran (Post 557795)
Taking in a LA Dodgers game or two next month but looking forward to seeing the New York Yankees triumph with the 2012 World Series.

I hope you deal well with disappointment.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hack (Post 558313)
Verlander is my Tiger. :D

Did you get your box(es) of Fastball Flakes at Meijer?????

Ciaran 04-05-2012 03:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by betenoire (Post 559010)

I take disappointment very badly and usually sulk or throw a bit of a tantrum (or, more likely, both).

That said, whether or not the Yankees win the 2012 World Series (and I do generally believe that they have a devine right to win it each year) matters little to me and, if they fail to do so, it won't cause me any angst.

Rather my love for the Yankees is in terms of their history and imagery. As some on here already know, I am a fanatical collector of original Yankees photography from the early 1920s through to the early 1940s, with a particular interest in the 1920s era.

Attached is my most recent pick-up. It's rather appropriate as the image is from Opening Day of the season - albeit the 1924 season rather than 2012. It shows the Yankees pictured at Fenway Park, Boston on April 15 1924 in advance of a victory over the Red Sox.

http://i926.photobucket.com/albums/a...924yankees.jpg

The picture is of significant interest for a number of reasons. Firstly, it is the first shot of a Yankees side as reigning World Champions, having defeated the Giants in the subway series the previous October. Secondly, it was the first time in years that the Yankees had a team photo taken on Opening Day as, during this era, the Yankees and certain other teams believed in a "camera jinx" that by having a team photo taken before the pennant race was over would jinx the team through the season.

Thirdly, with the shot being taken at Fenway Park, the number of ex-Red Sox players in the squad is startling ..... not only the legendary Babe Ruth but others such as Waite Hoyt, Sam Jones, Herb Pennock, Wally Schang, Elmer Smith and Joe Dugan .... all players let go from the Red Sox by their controversial owner Harry Frazee.

Most significant to me, however, is the presence of a very young Lou Gehrig in the photo, second from left on the bottom row. Without a doubt, the greatest Yankee of all-time but, when this was shot, he was a relative unknown who didn't start to make his mark with the Yankees until 1925.

Forgive me for my departure from the current season and going back in time but it's the history of baseball that makes it great. I'll likely post a few more vintage Yankees shots over the course of the season and give some historical context to them.

Metro 04-05-2012 03:09 PM

Oh Cubbies... you're already breaking my heart and it's only Opening Day!

Hack 04-05-2012 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by betenoire (Post 559010)

Did you get your box(es) of Fastball Flakes at Meijer?????

No! I missed out. :(

Hack 04-05-2012 03:57 PM

Justin Verlander pitched a two-hitter and eight innings. They put in the closer Jose Valverde and he blew the save! Tigers ended up winning in the bottom of the 9th, but still! I have always thought Valverde is over-rated as a closer. I hope to god this isn't a sign of things to come. :/

AtLast 04-06-2012 10:52 AM

Go Giants! Go Lincecum!

-Red-Flag- 04-07-2012 02:25 PM

Lets go Sox !! Becket better have his big boy arm ready to go today..

Dominique 04-08-2012 05:58 AM

The BOYS of summer

I saw this on Good Morning America/ fixation.

http://www.nesn.com/2012/04/southern...lay-video.html

Dominique 04-08-2012 06:41 AM

The Philadelphia Phillies fans came to town to watch the cross state rivalry
with Pittsburgh. The Pittsburgh travel Bureua reported when the Pirate tickets went on sale, Philadelphia bought 8,000 for each of the three game series. Seems Philly fans can not get tickets to their own home games.

So, in a week end where hotel occupancy would ordinarily be low due to the holiday, Hotels, bars and restaurants were packed. It also happened to be a hockey match up with the Penguins and the Fliers. Pittsburgh beat the visiting Philadelphia fans at both venues on Saturday. Oh what fun.
Micheal Mchenry scored the winning run in the bottom of the 10th, 2-1

The rubber game of the baseball match up is today, and it is also a sell out. Three sell outs in three games (is this really Pittsburgh?)

Let's go Bucs

AtLast 04-08-2012 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dominique (Post 560691)
The Philadelphia Phillies fans came to town to watch the cross state rivalry
with Pittsburgh. The Pittsburgh travel Bureua reported when the Pirate tickets went on sale, Philadelphia bought 8,000 for each of the three game series. Seems Philly fans can not get tickets to their own home games.

So, in a week end where hotel occupancy would ordinarily be low due to the holiday, Hotels, bars and restaurants were packed. It also happened to be a hockey match up with the Penguins and the Fliers. Pittsburgh beat the visiting Philadelphia fans at both venues on Saturday. Oh what fun.
Micheal Mchenry scored the winning run in the bottom of the 10th, 2-1

The rubber game of the baseball match up is today, and it is also a sell out. Three sell outs in three games (is this really Pittsburgh?)

Let's go Bucs

Nothing like a in-state rivalry to bring in commerce! I like the Pirates and hope they have a much better season than last.