Butch Femme Planet

Butch Femme Planet (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hobbies, Crafts, Interests (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Photographers and Photo Enthusiasts. (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7475)

Elijah 06-20-2014 03:55 PM

Photographers and Photo Enthusiasts.

I'm curious about what kind of cameras folks use? Do you think a an expensive camera is necessary for great shots?

Do you/have you ever entered a photo contest? Did you win?

Also, show us an example of one of your best shots. When you do, give us a little background on the photo.

Have fun!

Thanks,

~Elijah

traumaqueen 06-20-2014 04:08 PM

Subscribing and coming back later!

I used to do a lot of SLR stuff back in the days of film.... remember film?

Since then,I've just had point and shoot type digital cameras. I finally just got a nice sorta entry level DSLR body last week but opted for a higher quality lens. I definitely wouldn't say an expensive camera equates a good picture... but in the right hands the possibilities are endless.

Got a few photos posted in the "Hiking Enthusiasts" thread, and would love any tips if you're into DSLR.

cricket26 06-20-2014 06:58 PM

i am just a beginner but i have some fav photos i have take with my two digital point and shoot cameras...one of the first pics i took with my nikon cool pix is the pic of myself posted in the gallery :)

it was taken in 2010 on my birthday after i received the camera as a gift :)

Logicaly 05-21-2017 02:53 AM

I got a Canon EOS Rebel SL1 not too long, and have been loving it. I also have two lenses for it, and have been looking into getting a macro lens and a wide angle lens as soon as I figure out what is going to give me the results that I want, and that I can afford.

girl_dee 05-21-2017 03:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Logicaly (Post 1144792)
I got a Canon EOS Rebel SL1 not too long, and have been loving it. I also have two lenses for it, and have been looking into getting a macro lens and a wide angle lens as soon as I figure out what is going to give me the results that I want, and that I can afford.

my wide angle and macro are my two favorites..

Rebel is a great entry level, but if you are serious, you will be upgrading.

its a very expensive habit. My wide angle was $600 and my macro was probably about the same.

Logicaly 05-21-2017 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by girl_dee (Post 1144794)

its a very expensive habit. My wide angle was $600 and my macro was probably about the same.

That is what I figured, the lenses I have looked at are around that price and I really want to get into macro shots, I love the close up details. So far the Rebel does what I want. I am not at this point looking to make money off my photos, but I am greatly enjoying taking much better ones than with a regular point and shoot. This is my first time really shooting in manual mode, so I have been learning a lot.

girl_dee 05-21-2017 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Logicaly (Post 1144795)
That is what I figured, the lenses I have looked at are around that price and I really want to get into macro shots, I love the close up details. So far the Rebel does what I want. I am not at this point looking to make money off my photos, but I am greatly enjoying taking much better ones than with a regular point and shoot. This is my first time really shooting in manual mode, so I have been learning a lot.

if you are in manual you are doing very well!

i learned to shoot on film, you had to know how to drive the camera.

you will know when its time, but being on the coast, wide angle is the way to go.

i ventured out last week on a photo assignment, and only used my macro..... its amazing what you can see when you get on the ground.

cricket26 05-21-2017 09:01 AM

i entered 2 photo contests! *crossing fingers*

hopelessromantic69 07-31-2017 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by girl_dee (Post 1144794)

I hear you about expense. My Nikon 85mm macro lens was around $600. I would love the 105mm also!

firecat242 04-23-2018 01:34 AM

refresh

With summer approaching I was hoping we could get this subject started again...maybe posting some of our work. Talking about what works what doesn't and why we shoot what we shoot?
Just a thought....

Dean Thoreau 05-15-2018 10:14 AM

Sounds good, photography and I have had a love affair going for about 55 years since I first bought a 620 aground insta click plasticcamera. I was around9 or 10...
With the ability to photograph and have the photo instantly, sometimes I think people have decided photography is easy, es-ecially when you can-hotographa pastoral setting and with photoshop add a few more sheep,or a bird or whatever.
Guess I am old school, I prefer to take my time frame the picture before I take it, set the time and speed to get the best exposure I think is appropriate, and just do minor touch ups in the lab/software program.

Either way photography is fun, not just as a way to document an occurrence, but to capture a moment in time, a form of artwork, a way to say something.

Perhaps some photo challenges with each other....I.e. pick a subject, we shoot a pic or two of what we feel represents that subject...and critique (not criticize) each other’s work.

firecat242 05-15-2018 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Thoreau (Post 1210602)
Sounds good, photography and I have had a love affair going for about 55 years since I first bought a 620 aground insta click plasticcamera. I was around9 or 10...
With the ability to photograph and have the photo instantly, sometimes I think people have decided photography is easy, es-ecially when you can-hotographa pastoral setting and with photoshop add a few more sheep,or a bird or whatever.
Guess I am old school, I prefer to take my time frame the picture before I take it, set the time and speed to get the best exposure I think is appropriate, and just do minor touch ups in the lab/software program.

Either way photography is fun, not just as a way to document an occurrence, but to capture a moment in time, a form of artwork, a way to say something.

Perhaps some photo challenges with each other....I.e. pick a subject, we shoot a pic or two of what we feel represents that subject...and critique (not criticize) each other’s work.

Good idea Dean. My I been so bold as to suggest capturing your image of love. Whether it be a person place or thing. Any other suggestions?

Dean Thoreau 05-15-2018 07:57 PM

I’m so political etc... my first thought is Resistance”
Ok let’s pick one I don’t care just tell me and how about a couple weeks for deadline... ????

girl_dee 05-15-2018 07:59 PM

One day i went out with just my macro. i’m used to seeing big landscapes... it was amazing! I stayed on the ground and saw a whole new world

firecat242 05-17-2018 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Thoreau (Post 1210665)
I’m so political etc... my first thought is Resistance”
Ok let’s pick one I don’t care just tell me and how about a couple weeks for deadline... ????

I like the resistance subject Dean....a good challenge. How about June 1st we post pics?

firecat242 05-17-2018 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by girl_dee (Post 1210666)
One day i went out with just my macro. i’m used to seeing big landscapes... it was amazing! I stayed on the ground and saw a whole new world

I know what you mean dee....I only shoot macro since getting my lens. For me it means that I have a dialogue with my subject.