Butch Femme Planet

Butch Femme Planet (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hobbies, Crafts, Interests (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Bushcraft (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7985)

kittygrrl 01-25-2016 10:58 PM

Bushcraft

Anything goes relating to bushcraft skills, travel, your thoughts, and interests

Rockinonahigh 01-26-2016 02:04 AM

Back in the day I was doing lots of camping, we had a fairly large boat that we would go out fishing on the many lakes and by ways in Louisiana. I got to wondering how I would do if I got stranded out somewhere and needed to save my own a$$, so to speak. So one day one of my saner friends and I made plans to give it a week end try to see how we would do. We only allowed to take one set of clothes as well as weather related wear along with one hunting knife. We told people where we would be for safety sake as on when we should be back then to send out the posse if need be. The worse part was the mosquitoes, it's a wonder we didn't come down with some awful disease from as many bites we had.. next time I gave up my hunting knife for mosquito netting and bug spray. They don't call them things the state bird for nothing.

cinnamongrrl 01-26-2016 06:37 AM

OK...

This thread is NOT what I was expecting it to be....

I was thinking heart shapes for Valentine's day or something...lol

This is much more appealing to me...minus the hunk of moo on a rock...

kittygrrl 01-26-2016 06:58 AM

What's your favorite way..

of starting a fire without matches or lighter?

Jesse 01-26-2016 09:17 AM

I prefer a ferro rod and char cloth or other tender, but I also like starting a fire with a bow drill.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kittygrrl (Post 1041020)
of starting a fire without matches or lighter?

kittygrrl 01-26-2016 10:07 AM

Jesse

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jesse (Post 1041047)
I prefer a ferro rod and char cloth or other tender, but I also like starting a fire with a bow drill.

I would love to learn how to use a bow drill correctly, I've not had much luck
with one. I usually use a magnifying glass...carrying fire around can be a bit problematic...I found this and wondered if it would work..definitely trying it this spring!

Jesse 01-26-2016 11:04 AM

Both the plastic bottle of water and the plastic baggy filled with water will work in a pinch, but it is much easier with a magnifying glass. I have done it with water, never with urine, though it is good to know that will work in an emergency. :)

For me, learning to use a bow drill took a lot of time and patience and then frustration when I ran out of patience. ;) It's kind of like riding a bike, once you achieve and the muscle memory is learned it gets much easier to do. Somewhere in my files, I have a page that shows the color and condition of the dust and what it should and shouldn't look like in order to get a coal. I will look for it and post it here when I find it.

kittygrrl 01-26-2016 06:04 PM

this is cool..

his campsite is top notch, imo..he's organized! But you have to be in Alaska or you're dead.

Rockinonahigh 01-26-2016 07:09 PM

I have used a bow drill, a lens from a camera, the reflecting of light to and from a head light to tender to start a fire. Being an occasional smoker I always can find a lighter somewhere in my car or about any jacket I have, even one that just has a sparking flint will help in starting a fire.

kittygrrl 01-27-2016 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockinonahigh (Post 1041131)
I have used a bow drill, a lens from a camera, the reflecting of light to and from a head light to tender to start a fire. Being an occasional smoker I always can find a lighter somewhere in my car or about any jacket I have, even one that just has a sparking flint will help in starting a fire.

Never considered a camera lens, great idea! and yes I always seem to have a lighter or two around, but what I love about bushcraft is that it's about your skillset and being able to use your environment to provide for yourself. One of my goals in the next year is to go out with just the basics, a knife, an axe, etc and make it in the woods for a few days...The perfect place to do this would probably be Alaska or possibly the Cascades towards Autumn..Ive done a lot of camping but with all the paraphernalia. I would like to take a couple of survival classes to make sure I have enough skills to make it..I have plans :)

kittygrrl 01-27-2016 10:28 PM

Made one of these this summer. It rocked. If you love building fires this one is worth knowing.

kittygrrl 01-28-2016 09:53 AM

(a)Rocket Stove

Jesse 01-29-2016 11:07 AM

I have one of these Tonteldoos tinderboxes that I made, but I use lantern wicks in mine. I find they burn slower and leave a nice char on the end that catches sparks easily. The Tonteldoos is simple to make and works well.

I also always keep a solo flat 1"x6" lantern wick in my EDC kit and have charred one end of it. I like it because it rolls up to take up little space, it's lightweight and it catches sparks well.

kittygrrl 01-29-2016 07:48 PM

acorn bread

iamkeri1 01-30-2016 01:18 AM

Well I must say, my mind went to a totally other place when I read the title of this thread, LOLOL.

But I have found it to be interesting reading. I used to love to camp in various "primitive" campsites in Michigan in my younger days. I loved and still love cooking over an open fire or beautiful coals.

Have fun!
Smooches,
Keri

kittygrrl 01-30-2016 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kittygrrl (Post 1041758)

This video has been disabled for other sites but you can still access on youtube by clicking the title above the video! There are four parts to it..pretty interesting....if you like this sort of thing :goodluck:

Glenn 01-30-2016 11:03 AM

I walk out my door, and I am next to a large lagoon, and nature reserve, where hunting is not allowed. I would fish, but not kill my deer friends here. I watch my bird and animal friends everyday survive here.. They fish and drink from the lagoon and rain puddles. They eat grains growing off stalks of wheat, and acorns, and know where the best and freshest grass, wildflowers, nuts, and leaves are. When it gets too hot or cold, they dig holes, or crawl under big logs and piles of brush. If the bugs bother them they roll in mud, the same way soldiers are taught. I would want to purify my drinking water though, which leads me back to the quest for fire. I think a small rocket stove would be the best idea for cooking in snow and rain. Love them. I have plenty of stuff to start a fire with, but I really would need to learn patience, and practice the cross bow method for long-term survival.

Jesse 01-31-2016 07:30 AM

Knots!

Knowing how to tie a variety of knots and when to tie which knot is an important outdoor survival skill whether on land or water. Fishing, camping, climbing, Bushcraft, or even if a sudden rainstorm pops up during a hike and you just want to throw up a quick ridge line for a tarp tent, you will need a knot of some sort.

Some of the more commonly used knots for Bushcraft are listed below, but there are literally hundreds to choose from.
  • lashing
  • clove hitch
  • timber hitch

Tent stakes/various odds & ends around camp:
  • tautline hitch
  • figure-eight retrace
  • bowline
  • bowline on a bight
  • jam knot
  • larkshead
  • trucker's hitch
  • fisherman's knot
  • half hitch

When you need to tie a couple ropes together that vary in size:
  • the sheetbend

Below are a couple of good animated knot tying sites that show how to tie knots and what things that particular knot is useful for. At least one of them(Grog's) also has an Apple and android app you can download to your phone, but there is a small charge for the app.

Grog's Animated Knots

Net Knots

Happy Tying! :)

cinnamongrrl 01-31-2016 07:41 AM

I'm coming a little late to the fire starting party...but...

I have reading glasses...the store bought magnifying kind. I read that those in particular make a good fire starter in a pinch. But I have at least 3 sources for fire in my pack at all times. Just in case. Fire can mean life in a bad situation.

Glenn 02-04-2016 12:46 PM

Folks, please read up on what plants and mushrooms are poisonous in your area before you start out. For instance, Poke Salad grows in abundance here, but the little red berries are extremely poisonous. The animals here eat the leaves, but leave those tiny, red, berries alone.

kittygrrl 02-20-2016 03:34 PM

we are not built like men...

this is reality..it's just not easy for women, at least softer ones, which is me..so I relate well to this video..so take heart, anybody can do this, you don't have to be a macho nacho!

Sweet Bliss 02-21-2016 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cinnamongrrl (Post 1042003)
I'm coming a little late to the fire starting party...but...

I have reading glasses...the store bought magnifying kind. I read that those in particular make a good fire starter in a pinch. But I have at least 3 sources for fire in my pack at all times. Just in case. Fire can mean life in a bad situation.

Oh? Which three? I have flint matches lighter and lenses from old camera.

kittygrrl 03-14-2016 01:23 AM

start small..

FireSignFemme 03-14-2016 06:56 AM

But Dream Big...

http://img2-2.timeinc.net/people/i/2...griest-800.jpg

kittygrrl 06-10-2016 10:44 AM

thoughtful...

Glenn 06-11-2016 10:57 AM

Tick Rant

Ticks are blood-sucking tanks that sink themselves into your skin and NEVER let go. They make a big swollen spot where they feed on your blood, and poison you. You itch like crazy. They can fly and jump under your clothes, and into your private parts, which they especially love. I've had them in my hair, ears, under my breast, around my vagina, and yesterday, found one in my bellybutton! Even though I protect myself with clothing, they stay on my working clothes until I wear them again. I must check my clothes better! They are round brown with legs all around. I stomped on one about ten times, and that sucker still didn't die. Maybe kittygrrl will pic a tick. The only way to get rid of these suckers is with fire! If you just pick them off, their head will still stay in you. Use the tip of a match or knife, or anything sharp, put in a fire, and touch it's back. It should jump off. If it don't, slide something thin under it too. With the one deep in my bellybutton, I had to maneuver a 10 magnifying mirror, tweezers, and light to see it, and pull it out. The itch and lump will still be in me for weeks. I HATE THEM! If you don't have fire to kill them, you can suffocate them with vasoline, or get in a bathtub, with as hot as you can stand it water, and drown them. Rant over.

kittygrrl 06-11-2016 03:11 PM

Glenn

Your experience with tics is truly horrific. I've been in the woods a lot and I've only had a few issues. Perhaps I've been lucky...I understand they can leave you ill with diseases...I do take some precautions, tick proof clothing, thick, knee boot socks with boots, organic tic spray and I try to clear the areas I've camped in..I haven't camped in a while but because it's just not safe anymore, too many nuts about..as a substitute I bivouac in the back yard and it's ok. It's a little lame but I was in the back yard learning some things and realized hey this feels amazing, because I wasnt on edge watching out of the corner of my eye for a bear or a serial killer...that's the unfortunate shit you have to consider when going out to camp alone...don't(at least not in the United States).

kittygrrl 07-04-2016 08:53 PM

I love scary..

homoe 07-04-2016 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glenn (Post 1070435)
Ticks are blood-sucking tanks that sink themselves into your skin and NEVER let go. They make a big swollen spot where they feed on your blood, and poison you. You itch like crazy. They can fly and jump under your clothes, and into your private parts, which they especially love. I've had them in my hair, ears, under my breast, around my vagina, and yesterday, found one in my bellybutton! Even though I protect myself with clothing, they stay on my working clothes until I wear them again. I must check my clothes better! They are round brown with legs all around. I stomped on one about ten times, and that sucker still didn't die. Maybe kittygrrl will pic a tick. The only way to get rid of these suckers is with fire! If you just pick them off, their head will still stay in you. Use the tip of a match or knife, or anything sharp, put in a fire, and touch it's back. It should jump off. If it don't, slide something thin under it too. With the one deep in my bellybutton, I had to maneuver a 10 magnifying mirror, tweezers, and light to see it, and pull it out. The itch and lump will still be in me for weeks. I HATE THEM! If you don't have fire to kill them, you can suffocate them with vasoline, or get in a bathtub, with as hot as you can stand it water, and drown them. Rant over.

When I was a child, I remember every night at bedtime being check for ticks when I was visiting in Escanaba Michigan at my grandparents! I only got one or two but I remember them burning them with fire.
Sort of made an impression and maybe that's another reason I'm not a big fan or camping or other outdoor activities!

kittygrrl 08-17-2016 08:56 PM

Juniper Ash-Gad Bit'eesh

Needed for Navajo Blue Corn Dishes-In every thing they do, the Navajo respect for the land is always the rule.

kittygrrl 08-23-2016 03:19 PM

tinder nests

lots
of different materials you can use. Make several different kinds. This guy's for real.

Lyte 08-23-2016 04:17 PM

Man... when I saw the heading bushcraft... I was so WTH?! :| lol

I rarely ever see the word "bush" used in America to mean the wilderness! Seems with all the survival shows on TV it's becoming a more popular term. Great topic!!

kittygrrl 08-23-2016 09:45 PM

I call it a starter kit...

he call's it "the five essentials"..it's a she says tomuhto, he says tomayto..kind of thing..

kittygrrl 08-23-2016 10:33 PM

I have a little bit of trouble with his canteen choice, to me you should buy a steel container first, that you can boil water in. You can't always depend on portable water or water tablets to get you by. Boiling water is a basic you should know how to do. Also it's not a bad idea to build a filter. I've done it in the past with charcoal, sand, and gravel. You layer it then run your water thru it a few times. This is something you can do with the raw materials you can find near your water source and might get you by if by any chance you can't boil your water. If you're interested in a link, you tube has many of them. I'll post one if I think of it later..happy bushcrafting!

Jesse 08-31-2016 09:01 AM

This "Chippewa Kitchen" shown by BushcraftOnFire is interesting and fun to create if you plan to be in one spot for a couple of weeks.

kittygrrl 09-13-2016 07:20 AM

Jesse

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jesse (Post 1087574)
This "Chippewa Kitchen" shown by BushcraftOnFire is interesting and fun to create if you plan to be in one spot for a couple of weeks.

Great video! :yeahthat: This has been in my library for a couple of years. I've not had a chance to set one up yet but it's on my bucket list!

Jesse 09-13-2016 07:49 AM

Mine as well. He is one of my many favorites as far as male bushcrafters goes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kittygrrl (Post 1092432)
Great video! :yeahthat: This has been in my library for a couple of years. I've not had a chance to set one up yet but it's on my bucket list!

kittygrrl 09-13-2016 05:53 PM

Fire Feathers are cool..

kittygrrl 11-27-2016 09:41 PM

Winter fire go to-

pumpndude 11-28-2016 01:05 AM

WOW

I really like this site, I didn't know what bushcraft ment but I have read most of the posts and now I definitely know what it means. another name for survival...
Now I want to take a class on bushcraft and who knows I might find someone who I could go camping with and we can test our skills that we would learn..

Oh this is cool, I do watch survival reality shows, but did not put what I have learned to test....

thanks everyone for re-educating me again....