Butch Femme Planet

Butch Femme Planet (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/index.php)
-   Current Affairs/World Issues/Science And History (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=133)
-   -   12 Biggest Rip-Offs in America (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=997)

Linus 03-10-2010 09:42 PM

12 Biggest Rip-Offs in America

Sourced: http://www.billshrink.com/blog/7636/...fs-in-america/

A lot of these I think I've known but sometimes still do (e.g., movie popcorn has this quality that I can't seem to replicate at home). And I was surprised about the buffet. So that said, what other things do you consider a rip-off in society today? (think materialistic here -- things you buy or services you use).

Jett 03-10-2010 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linus (Post 64528)

A lot of these I think I've known but sometimes still do (e.g., movie popcorn has this quality that I can't seem to replicate at home). And I was surprised about the buffet. So that said, what other things do you consider a rip-off in society today? (think materialistic here -- things you buy or services you use).

*Ahem*... Starbucks... they should be at #1

Metro
*who was surprised at the Buffet thing too*

Cyclopea 03-10-2010 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linus (Post 64528)

I don't mind paying out the ass for movie popcorn especially if I like the theatre because it's the only way the theatre makes money. If I don't want to support the theatre I sneak in my own snacks or skip them.
The reason you can't replicate movie popcorn at home is because the oil they use is the thickest, highest saturated fat industrial oil imaginable. The reason is it doesn't overheat and the equipment won't screw up. You could eat a bucket of lard and it would contain less fat. Also the "butter" is usually oil with butter flavored added- a product called "swirl". Butter is too expensive and can overheat or curdle. Used to work in a movie theater. ;)
Great thread idea!
( I do have to kind of chuckle at the title of this article considering the real rip-offs that have destroyed our entire U.S. economy)

MsDemeanor 03-11-2010 02:19 AM

Those ridiculous snack packages that they make for kids - a couple of crackers, a sliver of cheese, a bite of meat, and a ton of plastic container. 100 calorie snack packaging runs a close second. That's way too much money for three bites of food and a big container or wrapper that will sit in a landfill for a thousand years.

*steps off of soap box*

BornBronson 04-08-2010 07:41 PM

A service undelivered

The 44th president.

:beatcomputer:

Soft*Silver 04-08-2010 07:51 PM

how about those "gumball" machines at the doorways of the stores? THey charge 50 cents for a 2 cent toy in a plastic bubble

Daywalker 04-08-2010 07:58 PM

Cable Service...or ATnT U-Verse...or insert your service name here >>>>.

Fuckers charge a fortune to transmit air signals.
It's stoopid, and now one cannot even get the standard free channels.
:badmood:

:daywalker:

Miss Scarlett 04-09-2010 04:29 AM

Interesting article, Linus. Thanks for sharing it with us.

I'd like to nominate "fruit" snacks, bottled water, juice boxes, those "wipes" they sell in the toilet paper aisle and disposable diapers.

Also, those 20oz drinks in coolers at check outs in stores everywhere. Here they run about $1.20 each - outrageous.

MsDemeanor, I agree with you about the Lunchables, snack packs and 100 calorie packs. Ridiculous. Our mothers and grandmothers put together their own. When I was a kid whenever we went to an event or a movie my parents packed each of us a brown paper lunch bag with a box of Crackerjacks, couple of Tootsie Pops and a candy bar (maybe). Sometimes they bought us drinks and sometimes they didn't...and we all managed to survive to adulthood!

Butterbean 04-09-2010 05:07 AM

Has anyone mentioned cold cereal? That's the worst. What's wrong with eggs, oatmeal and cream of wheat?

Legendryder 04-09-2010 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daywalker (Post 81540)
Cable Service...or ATnT U-Verse...or insert your service name here >>>>.

Fuckers charge a fortune to transmit air signals.
It's stoopid, and now one cannot even get the standard free channels.
:badmood:

:daywalker:

You can thank your federal government for the lack of free over the air channels. They seized the bandwidth, claiming it was going to be used for emergency radio signal. Interesting that they them sold them to the highest bidder. Nice.

EnderD_503 04-09-2010 06:51 AM

Mind if a Canadian adds their 2 cents? All this stuff rips us off, too :annoyed:

On the subject of wine at restaurants, I'm surprised they didn't add beer to that. Seriously, the fact that you can get a six pack for 10-12 bucks at the Beer Store, and yet they charge you at least 4,75 (more commonly 5,25) per bottle at any given bar you know you're getting ripped off. Not to mention that you can get single tall cans of imports at the beer store or lcbo for somewhere between 1,75 and 3 bucks. The whole sin tax deal in Canada is one of the biggest rip offs ever.

Also, chili at Tim Horton's or any given coffee shop, restaurant etc. Chili is not that expensive to make, especially if you're doing it in bulk. One tiny little styrofoam bowl should not cost 4 bucks + tax. Some restaurants will even charge you up to 6 or 7 bucks for a bowl of chili.

Any restaurant that serves you pasta. Pasta's so cheap to buy and yet all these restaurants (and not just talking the classier restaurants) treat any Italian pasta dish like it's made of gold.

legally_b10nde 12-06-2016 10:47 PM

Biggest rip offs in America is how big telecomm companies like Verizon or other cable companies over charge consumer with their services and products. A bundle package for cable tv, internet, and landline phone.