Butch Femme Planet

Butch Femme Planet (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/index.php)
-   Finding Your People - Special Groups (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=116)
-   -   Vegans? Vegetarians? (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2885)

Katalina 02-28-2011 09:04 PM

Vegans? Vegetarians?

Hi - any other vegans or vegetarians out there? I was vegan wwaaaaayyy back in the '80s, but it was just too hard back then (people, even cool openminded people, looked at me like I had 3 heads!). I've come full circle, and now eat vegan food whenever possible, vegetarian if I can't get vegan.

Anybody else out there? :) :newbie:

nycfem 02-28-2011 09:06 PM

Me!!! Vegetarian with a vegan bent (believe in vegan).

Linus 02-28-2011 09:31 PM

Vegan with a raw bent here (trying to do more raw anyways). Btw, we do have a great thread here that might be useful: http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/foru...read.php?t=121

Katalina 02-28-2011 09:52 PM

Yay! Vegan is a challenge sometimes.....especially if you don't feel like playing '3rd degree interrogation' with a waiter or whatever. :)

Zimmeh 03-19-2011 08:12 PM

I have people who look at me funny because I don't consume red meat or pork. I switched to Soymilk and watching how much processed food I consume.

Thank you for starting this thread!

Zimmy

proximitywithoutintimacy 03-21-2011 10:52 AM

I am... newly vegetarian.

Just trying it out, you know, giving it a chance... it's been a couple of weeks now...

nycfem 03-21-2011 10:59 AM

I've been veg (no meat/chicken/fish) for about 20 years, so if you have any questions or concerns or need suggestions I, and I'm sure others, are always happy to lend some support! So feel free to post anything anytime! I started out going veg in Ohio as a teenager, and it was very hard to do on my own. It really took awhile before it began to feel natural for me.

2myladyblue 03-21-2011 12:48 PM

Once & future vegan...

*Smiles & waves to all the :veggie:
Ok, I'm not 100% vegan (or even vegetarian) anymore, but I was. First, when I was rebelling against my family(farm) as a teen, then, when I was laying the foundation for raising my own little anarchists/free thinkers. At this point, I'm probably more of a veg-positive omnivore (lol). I raised my toddlers as vegan circa 15 years ago (when it was still hard to find soymilk at the grocery store), but when they went to school & saw the other kid's lunch boxes, they started asking for sandwich meat (YUCK!!!). Although, my teenager has now come (almost) full circle & is (lacto-ovo) vegetarian. We eat vegan/vegetarian most of the time & have lots of great recipes/tips if that's what we're talking about. (I might have even posted some in that thread Linus mentioned....n'est-ce pas NYCfembbw?)

Welcome Katalina!
Proximity, :goodluck: & give it some time...are you feeling any different/better yet?
And "Hell-ooo" to anyone else I didn't mention.
Here are some quotes you might appreciate/enjoy....

Buddha: To become vegetarian is to step into the stream which leads to nirvana.

"For as long as men massacre animals, they will kill each other. Indeed, he who sows the seed of murder and pain cannot reap joy and love." -- Pythagoras (circa 582-507 B.C.)Greek philosopher, mathematician, mystic"Father of Vegetarianism"

I have from an early age abjured the use of meat, and the time will come when men such as I will look on the murder of animals as they now look on the murder of men. ~Leonardo da Vinci

"Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances of survival for life on earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet." ~Albert Einstein, physicist, Nobel Prize 1921

"I am in favor of animal rights as well as human rights. That is the way of a whole human being." ~Abraham Lincoln, 16th U.S. President

"My refusing to eat meat occasioned an inconveniency, and I have been frequently chided for my singularity. But my light repast allows for greater progress, for greater clearness of head and quicker comprehension."~BENJAMIN FRANKLIN (1706-1790)American statesman, inventor and author

I have no doubt that it is a part of the destiny of the human race, in its gradual improvement, to leave off eating animals, as surely as the savage tribes have left off eating each other.... ~Henry David Thoreau, Walden, 1854

:byebye:

-Blue
:blueheels:

nycfem 03-24-2011 07:37 PM

Here's a vegan, healthier recipe for what I call "Kettlecorn granola"
It's so to-die-for delicious! I can't tell you amounts of things because I'm too ADD of a cook.

Pop organic popcorn in canola oil. Keep it warm.

In a separate bowl mix agave nectar, chopped almonds and pecans, sunflower seeds, sea salt, and butterscotch extract.

Use your hands to mix the thick syrup from the bowl into the popcorn. In terms of how much to put in, imagine granola, as opposed to, say- a peanut brittle bar.

Let it harden and dry. This makes it have a great crunch and keeps it from being at all messy.

I'm a big fan of salty and sweet together. And I always love popcorn!

Star Anise 07-02-2011 07:20 AM

Yep! I am a happy vegan. :wateringgarden:

Dominique 07-02-2011 07:38 AM

I am a vegetarian...not a vegan.

I do not like meat, it started when I was a baby. My father was a farmer, so he helped me with eating balanced veggies and fruits. I have in fact been about a 75% raw eater most of my life. I never liked milk or cheese as a child either. (my poor parents)

I like to cook, and do cook, but mostly eat raw and do ton's of green smoothies.

I don't find this way of life challenging at all.

vegan_gypsy 08-08-2011 08:30 PM

Hi! I'm brand new to this forum but wanted to say hello in this thread. Obviously by my username, I'm vegan. :) Vegetarian for about 8 years and have been vegan for about 4. My partner is vegan as well.

stephfromMIT 08-15-2012 05:16 PM

My fiancee is a "Seagan". She's vegan except for: seafood, egg whites.

nycfem 08-15-2012 08:46 PM

This made me think that I could call myself a decafetarian, because in addition to having no meat, chicken, or fish (for 25 years), I also have no caffeine / no chocolate. I added on the no caffeine / no chocolate seven years ago (I've always been sensitive to caffeine and was a complete chocoholic.). I also actually try not to even have decaf anything because decaf has traces of caffeine and the decaffeinating process is also unhealthy. When I'm my best self, I go with herbal. I am a pain in the ass for others to feed because I don't budge on my rules.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stephfromMIT (Post 633193)
My fiancee is a "Seagan". She's vegan except for: seafood, egg whites.

twinkletoes 09-24-2012 12:05 PM

Vegetarian here :) Have been for nearly 6 years and can't imagine eating any other way!

MissItalianDiva 09-24-2012 12:46 PM

I am a Vegetarian and Vegan most the time without knowing it. Also pretty much only follow a diet that is primarily raw..again not by conscious decision just because that is the food I happen to enjoy.

chefhmboyrd 09-24-2012 12:48 PM

I eat vegetarians....
cows, chickens, and lambs....
but not pigs, unless it is bacon....
pigs are omnivores...

easygoingfemme 10-04-2012 12:10 PM

Vegetarian, mostly vegan but I do love eggs. And we raise honey bees, so we have the honey that they don't use :)
Once in a while I'll have a piece of fish if I'm craving it. I used to be extreme and have food rules but I've learned everything is better if I just eat what I want when I want it. Usually everything I want is plant based, but I'm a high protein needs person, so sometimes other cravings win over and I'm okay with that.

ahk 10-04-2012 03:17 PM

I have a question--

What is a good substitute for sugar? But not agave--

Thank you.

nycfem 10-04-2012 04:12 PM

Honey? Fruit juice? Fruit juice concentrate? Molasses? Sometimes I sweeten with actual fruit, like I add apple or raisins or dried cranberries. I even sweeten with vinegar. Be creative. There's also the option to do some cognitive reframing, as in, "Why don't I just let sugar go and not replace it with anything?"

Fake sugars kill us but there are Splenda and Stevia for example. They are better than Aspartame but still a menace to society in my humble opinion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahk (Post 668230)
I have a question--

What is a good substitute for sugar? But not agave--

Thank you.