Butch Femme Planet

Butch Femme Planet (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Fluffy Stuff: Flirting, Humor, Chat (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   You Know That Saying ... (T/F?) (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8270)

Kätzchen 10-10-2017 10:36 PM

Red Sky at night, Sailor's delight;
Red Sky in morning, Sailor take warning.

I love this timeless, classic idiom! It's simply a phrase by which people can relate to, as it concerns prediction of weather... meaning that if you see a gorgeous red sky at night, then it's a strong sign that good weather will follow the next day. Shakespeare once referred to it in the play, Venus and Adonis, as well.

This Sailor's proverb is mostly true, but to learn about other interesting ideas associated with this idiom, here's a great link to discover more:

https://www.loc.gov/rr/scitech/myste...er-sailor.html

homoe 10-11-2017 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kätzchen (Post 1173776)
To Cast One's Bread Upon The Water

To act in generous ways because it's the right thing to do, and not because you think you'll earn an reward. To be generous, kind and loving in the face of opposition, because it's the right thing to do.

I had never heard of this one before now! I like it...

homoe 10-11-2017 05:55 AM

"Lock The Barn Door After The Horse Has Been Stolen"......

Take precautions after damage has occurred. An expressions of action that is useless because it comes too late.

homoe 10-11-2017 06:08 AM

"When Hell Freezes Over"...........................

If someone will do something until hell freezes over, they will do it for a very long time or for ever. Means that something will never happen.

homoe 10-11-2017 06:12 AM

"When Pigs Fly"......................

Very similar to idiom posted above. Something that will never occur. There is no chance of a certain thing ever happening!

Sidebar: Equating the flight of pigs with something impossible dates from the early 1600s, when several writers alleged that pigs fly with their tails forward.

homoe 10-11-2017 06:18 AM

"To Be All Ears"............

Meaning waiting eagerly to hear about something.

homoe 10-11-2017 06:20 AM

"Itchy Feet"............

To be restless and have a strong desire to travel.

homoe 10-11-2017 06:23 AM

"To Have A Finger In Every Pie.".............

To be involved in lots of different things.

homoe 10-11-2017 06:26 AM

"To Put Your Foot In It".............

To say something, usually by accident, which embarrasses or upsets someone.

homoe 10-11-2017 06:29 AM

" Have Your Head In The Clouds"..................

To be living in a fantasy, often used to describe people who are absentminded or impractical.

homoe 10-11-2017 06:31 AM

" Warms The Cockles Of Your Heart".......................

Something you see or hear that makes you feel happy because it shows that people can be kind and good.

homoe 10-11-2017 06:36 AM

"Knuckle Under"....

To submit to someone or something. Meaning to yield, give in to.

homoe 10-11-2017 06:39 AM

"Cut Off Your Nose To Spite Your Face"............

To do something, often times because you are angry, even if it is not in your best interest.

homoe 10-11-2017 06:41 AM

"To Jump Down Someone's throat"..........

To react angrily to something that someone says or does.

homoe 10-11-2017 06:43 AM

"Toe The Line"..............

To conform to certain rules or standards.

homoe 10-11-2017 07:04 AM

'Up To Scratch".......depending on region could also be "Up To Snuff"........

As good as what was expected, required, or demanded; satisfactory or adequate.

Shystonefem 10-11-2017 01:16 PM

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush

Kätzchen 10-11-2017 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homoe (Post 1173808)
"When Pigs Fly"......................

Very similar to idiom posted above. Something that will never occur. There is no chance of a certain thing ever happening!

Sidebar: Equating the flight of pigs with something impossible dates from the early 1600s, when several writers alleged that pigs fly with their tails forward.

That's very interesting, homoe!

In my world, growing up and even today, the saying ....
When Pigs Fly..... has always meant that something good will happen and with unusual and extraordinary good luck!

:hk28:

Shystonefem 10-11-2017 02:02 PM

And this too shall pass....

Kätzchen 10-11-2017 09:33 PM

You can't stop this on a dime .... or ....You can't turn this on a dime ....or ... To turn on a dime

I just espied this catch-phrase, saying, idiom in another forum thread tonight. I've heard it used many times, in fact I've used it recently, while talking with ancillary service team members about the fact that it's not easy to get everybody on the same page in a short time frame. I caught myself using this saying that "you can't turn this thing on a dime...".

What it means is that you've got multiple parties of interest participating towards achieving goals within the context of an group setting. It takes time to coordinate efforts to accomplish and complete the transactional nature of any particular given goal.

To "turn on dime" means something is readily accomplished, when in reality it takes time.