Butch Femme Planet

Butch Femme Planet (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Fluffy Stuff: Flirting, Humor, Chat (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   What are you reading? (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1589)

Kätzchen 12-19-2011 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kätzchen (Post 489219)
I probably won't be done with the book I'm reading right now until later this week but I'm going to check out The Hunger Games soon!

JD? I've read the book of essays by Wallace: A Supposedly a fun thing I'll never do again. Which of his essays did you appreciate the most?

(gotta go, I'm at work)

Spark Notes answer to my inquiry
(the essay I appreciated so deeply):

"Tennis Player Michael Joyce's Professional Artistry as a Paradigm of Certain Stuff about Choice, Freedom, Discipline, Joy, Grotesquerie, and Human Completeness" (Esquire, 1996, under the title "The String Theory").

kittygrrl 12-19-2011 11:50 PM

"Beltane" Springtime Rituals, Lore & Celebration..it's a little tame, but I can improvise :hk24:

MissItalianDiva 12-20-2011 12:29 AM

Catch 22 by Joseph Heller. I didn't want to really read it but it was all that was left in my house that I had not touched and I am pleasantly surprised. Also flipping back to The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver on my Kindle...wonderful read

TheDreadPirateRoberts 12-20-2011 01:05 AM

my current selection..

im reading the great gatsby ....i still have my high school copy and its one of those books i go back to read every now and again...

pinkgeek 12-20-2011 01:16 AM

The Death of Ivan Ilyich - Leo Tolstoy

Mtn 12-20-2011 01:20 AM

Rereading Tipping The Velvet, and a stack of Buddha books

pinkgeek 12-20-2011 01:24 AM

Mtn: Have you read Dharma Punks or The Heart of the Revolution: The Buddha's Radical Teachings on Forgiveness by Noah Levine?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mtn (Post 489379)
Rereading Tipping The Velvet, and a stack of Buddha books

BBinNYC 12-20-2011 06:26 AM

I'm reading Jeanne Cordova's memoir, When We Were Outlaws. It's about 1970s LA and the early days of the gay movement from the point of view of a butch lesbian feminist activist. I'm halfway through it and really like it.

The JD 12-20-2011 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kätzchen (Post 489219)
JD? I've read the book of essays by Wallace: A Supposedly a fun thing I'll never do again. Which of his essays did you appreciate the most?

I think my favorite essay is the title essay, originally published under the title "Shipping Out." His observations on any subject tend to be razor-sharp and so-funny-it-hurts... but in light of his own suicide three years ago, there's something particularly eerie about rereading an essay in which he links observations of cruise travel and dream vacations to despair and death and suicide.

JD

Venus007 12-20-2011 06:55 AM

I am rereading the "Anne of Green Gables" series
Last time I read them I think I was 14

always2late 12-20-2011 07:08 AM

Packing up to move has brought on a re-reading frenzy (I think for every 5 books I pack away, I take out at least 3 to read). So, at the moment, I am re-reading several Agatha Christie, a few Anne Rivers Siddons, and, one of my favorites, "The Dogs of Babel" by Carolyn Parkhurst
(I'm never going to finish packing, am I? lol)

The JD 12-20-2011 07:47 AM

I'm re-reading Touch Me: The Poems of Suzanne Somers. And yes, that Suzanne Somers, she of Three's Company and Thigh Master infomercials. And I'm not embarrassed to say (okay, maybe a little embarrassed) that there's a certain....well, brilliance to her writing....lol.

I picked up the book after attending the show Celebrity Autobiography, in which celebrities read passages from the autobiographies of other celebrities. I thought they made it up, so I picked up the book to see for myself. True pearls of wisdom, I tell you. Here's a youtube video of Kristen Wiigs reading a few of Somers' poems... :)

dark_crystal 12-20-2011 09:13 AM

http://s21.theawl.com/awl/up/2011/05...5303500609.jpg

A packet of hand-scrawled letters found in a stranger's backpack tells of self-sufficient communities growing from the ruins of California's housing collapse and the global recession. In unfinished Mojave Desert housing tracts and foreclosure ghost towns on the raw edges of the chaotic cities of the West, people have gathered to grow their own food, school their own children and learn how to live without the poisons of gossip, greed, television, mobile phones and the Internet. Encouraged by an enigmatic wanderer known only as "B," the communities thrive as more families and workers are discarded by an indifferent system. But this quiet revolution and its simple rituals cannot stay unnoticed for long, because the teachings of "B" threaten an entire structure of power and wealth dependent upon people toiling their lives away to buy things they don't need.
http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P...2.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Cass Neary made her name in the 1970s as a photographer embedded in the burgeoning punk movement in New York City. Her pictures of the musicians and hangers on, the infamous, the damned, and the dead, got her into art galleries and a book deal. But 30 years later she is adrift, on her way down, and almost out. Then an old acquaintance sends her on a mercy gig to interview a famously reclusive photographer who lives on an island in Maine. When she arrives Downeast, Cass stumbles across a decades-old mystery that is still claiming victims, and into one final shot at redemption.

tonaderspeisung 12-20-2011 06:14 PM

book rant

just finished

Hedy's Folly: The Life and Breakthrough Inventions of Hedy Lamarr, the Most Beautiful Woman in the World - Richard Rhodes

i have to give it a skip it unless you are interested in a cliff notes of the life of george anthiel

the most interesting part was the introduction - which was the story i was hoping to explore further in the pages of this book

instead it was a half hearted account of george antheil - an interesting subject
and multiple quoting of hedy lemarr saying "Any girl can be glamorous.
All you have to do is stand still and look stupid." followed by numerous accounts of her being described as the most beautiful woman in the world

cmon - when you have a person who escapes nazi germany, becomes a hollywood star and who teams up with the self described bad boy of music to invent something to make radio-guided torpedoes harder for enemies to detect or jam and this book is what you get

a sad world indeed

hottprof 12-20-2011 08:53 PM

Finally finished...

Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest.... Wow Steig Larson...

could not put the last half of the book down... holy moley...

Great series...

now what to read...

Soft*Silver 12-20-2011 09:07 PM

went to the library...and am getting caught up on all the Stephen King books I havent read in many a year

Fancy 12-21-2011 05:55 AM

Robinson Crusoe - Daniel Defoe

Princess 12-21-2011 06:24 AM

I am re-reading the Patricia Cornwell Scarpetta Series...found out recently they are making a film from it...and Angelina Jolie is involved...how odd!

AtLast 12-21-2011 10:22 AM

Jack Kennedy: Elusive Hero by Chris Mathews

Intimate Partner Violence in LGBTQ Lives (Routledge Research in Gender and Society) by Janice L. Ristock

Butterbean 12-21-2011 12:37 PM

http://casedlock.com/files/gimgs/19_running.jpg