Butch Femme Planet

Butch Femme Planet (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Fluffy Stuff: Flirting, Humor, Chat (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Annoyed Book Reviews (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1644)

homoe 05-08-2018 06:33 PM

Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore: A Novel: Robin Sloan ...

I'm sort of conflicted about posting this here instead of the What Are You Reading thread because I didn't hate this book, its just not being a techy person maybe I just didn't appreciate it as much as I would have had I been one!

homoe 06-09-2018 07:17 AM

Shining Through by Susan Isaacs

A review stated that Shining Through is a novel of honor, sacrifice, passion, and humor. I'd have to say more than 90% of it is work place gossip, romance, and just dull storytelling in general! And yet this was made into a most enjoyable movie IMHO of the same name starring Melanie Griffith, Michael Douglas, and Liam Neeson..go figure

homoe 06-12-2018 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homoe (Post 1214189)
Shining Through by Susan Isaacs

A review stated that Shining Through is a novel of honor, sacrifice, passion, and humor. I'd have to say more than 90% of it is work place gossip, romance, and just dull storytelling in general! And yet this was made into a most enjoyable movie IMHO of the same name starring Melanie Griffith, Michael Douglas, and Liam Neeson..go figure

After reading this disappointing book I just had to watch the movie...:movieguy:

homoe 07-10-2018 05:33 AM

Sharp Objects..........

I should of listened to my gut!

There are enough sick and twisted people in this world, I really didn't need to read about fictitious ones as well.

homoe 07-26-2018 05:51 PM

Tell it to the Bees by Fiona Shaw..

IMHO.. this book moved slower than molasses in January! It was not an up lifting read, & it focused on the ex-husband Robert WAY to much! I liked the 10 year old child, but we're only privy to one or two things he confides to the bees.

I know I posted about this being turned into a movie in one of the other threads and perhaps even suggested reading the book in the meantime!

My deepest apologizes!

homoe 07-30-2018 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homoe (Post 1220165)
Tell it to the Bees by Fiona Shaw..

IMHO.. this book moved slower than molasses in January! It was not an up lifting read, & it focused on the ex-husband Robert WAY to much! I liked the 10 year old child, but we're only privy to one or two things he confides to the bees.

I know I posted about this being turned into a movie in one of the other threads and perhaps even suggested reading the book in the meantime!

My deepest apologizes!

I hope this will be one of those rare incidents where the movie is actually better than the book....:movieguy:

homoe 09-06-2018 08:36 AM

Lilac Girls by Martha Hall Kelly

I read the first three chapters but for some reason it just didn't grab me! Maybe I gave up to soon????

Personally I think I was in the mood for a book comparable to The Alice Network and this wasn't it unfortunately.

homoe 09-12-2018 03:41 PM

Luckiest Girl Alive by Jessica Knoll

SPOILER ALERT.........

There is no way I would of even considered this book had rape or Columbine been mentioned!!!!!

homoe 09-16-2018 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homoe (Post 1224830)
Luckiest Girl Alive by Jessica Knoll

SPOILER ALERT.........

There is no way I would of even considered this book had rape or Columbine been mentioned!!!!!

I considered myself the unluckiest girl alive for selecting this......:|

homoe 12-01-2018 08:22 PM

Those Who Knew by Idra Novey

I had seen fairly good reviews of this so thought I'd pick it up to read on the plane. It starts out good with a intriguing mystery, but it was pretty much all downhill from there for me!

One of the things I found most irritating was Freddy's pages and pages of scenes/dialogue relating to plays that may or may not come to light! I realize it helped to shed light on his brother, family dynastic, etc etc but still irritating none the less~

homoe 03-08-2019 11:47 AM

Light At The End Of The Tunnel by Sallyanne Monti

I was so taken in by the first few pages and all the excellent reviews this got on Amazon! I wished I'd take more time scanning other pages.

It's not a horrible book by any means but it just wasn't what I was expecting I guess!

homoe 03-24-2019 07:41 AM

CONTAINS SPOILERS!!!!

The Woman in the Window A.J. Finn

I am so sick of reading about twisted fucked up people! I want to read something upbeat..:glasses:

homoe 01-08-2020 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homoe (Post 1243315)
The Woman in the Window A.J. Finn

I am so sick of reading about twisted fucked up people! I want to read something upbeat..:glasses:

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this is one of those very rare times when the movie is better than the book...:movieguy:

homoe 01-08-2020 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homoe (Post 1259983)
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this is one of those very rare times when the movie is better than the book...:movieguy:

homoe 10-29-2020 05:20 PM

You Should Have Known: Jean Hanff Korelitz

While I didn't care for this book, the HBO limited series The Undoing is off to a good start IMHO..