Butch Femme Planet

Butch Femme Planet (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Fluffy Stuff: Flirting, Humor, Chat (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Who Were You Named After? (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6905)

Girl_On_Fire 09-19-2013 11:03 PM

Who Were You Named After?

Were you named after anyone?

My mother loved the show, "The Bionic Woman" so, I'm named after (spelling and all), the character, Jaime Sommers.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...ionicwoman.jpg

How about you?

Gráinne 09-19-2013 11:10 PM

I was named after my maternal grandmother, Antoinette. I'm Anne, and my cousin is Toni. I used to wish I'd been the older one, because I thought Toni was the prettier name.

My mother's favorite book was Peter Pan, and our surname happened to be the same as the family in the story. She wanted to name me Wendy, after the girl, but my brothers thankfully talked her out of that. They were afraid I'd be hearing "Like Peter Pan!" for the rest of my life.

PoeticSilence 09-20-2013 02:44 AM

My father was named Ronald, and I was the first child, so I was named Ronda. Then along came my brother, and he is a Ronald Jr.

My maternal grandmother is named Jewell, so that covers my middle name.

(None of this has anything to do with the fact I insisted on being called Wally for the first five years of my life, and made enough of a fuss I got to visit a shrink as a child)

I got married a few years ago, her mother named her Jacquelyn after the Onassis girl, middle name Evelyn after a family friend. Her last name Ramirez.

When we got married we got married in Iowa. Two states in the United States allow you to change your first/middle/last names to anything at all, that you desire, at the time of the wedding. They are Iowa and Kansas.

So the wife and I shortened our first names to Ronnie and Jackie. I kept my middle name because my kids insisted. My wife took her paternal grandmothers name Debnam. We were torn about the last name, because we have been involved in archery for a while, so we considered Archer, but then, in the end, we chose Darling. So most folks know us as Ronnie and Jackie Darling, and that's what all of our legal papers say. Yay!

sis 09-20-2013 02:56 AM

Debbie Reynolds & QEII, thus I am officially Deborah Elizabeth, Debbie to my family and people of my generation or older, Deb to everyone else!

Deb

Gemme 09-20-2013 05:02 AM

I was named after a character in a fantasy novel.

Daktari 09-20-2013 05:22 AM

I'm named after...

...a girl my Ma nursed when she was training in 1960-62. The little girl had deep ginger curls and a Polish pronunciation of a regular(ish) name.

It turned out that little girl was in the group of kids who all 'played out' on the park at the back of our house. It wasn't until we were teenagers that we discovered that she was infact *that* girl.

I hate my name and I don't allow anyone to use it, apart from my family, who refuse to call me something acceptable to me, even though I've asked them to for oooh 35/40yrs!
If a person really feels the need to use my 'real' name then they are allowed a contraction of it that is acceptable to me. Chey...had to add the Y because folks are easily confused and would inevitably pronounce Che as Chee :rolleyes:

Sparkle 09-20-2013 06:32 AM

A Joni Mitchell Song

The wind is in from Africa
Last night I couldn't sleep
Oh, you know it sure is hard to leave here Carey
But it's really not my home
My fingernails are filthy, I got beach tar on my feet
And I miss my clean white linen and my fancy French cologne

Oh Carey get out your cane
And I'll put on some silver
Oh you're a mean old Daddy
But I like you fine

Come on down to the Mermaid Café and I will
Buy you a bottle of wine
And we'll laugh and toast to nothing and smash our empty glasses down
Let's have a round for these freaks and these soldiers
A round for these friends of mine
Let's have another round for the bright red devil
Who keeps me in this tourist town

Come on Carey get out your cane
I'll put on some silver
Oh you're a mean old Daddy
But I like you

Maybe I'll go to Amsterdam
Maybe I'll go to Rome
And rent me a grand piano
And put some flowers 'round my room
But let's not talk about fare-thee-wells now
The night is a starry dome
And they're playin' that scratchy rock and roll
Beneath the Matala Moon

Come on Carey get out your cane
I'll put on some silver
We'll go to the Mermaid Café
Have fun tonight

The wind is in from Africa
Last night I couldn't sleep
Oh you know it sure is hard to leave here
But it's really not my home

Maybe it's been too long a time
Since I was scramblin' down in the street
Now they got me used to that clean white linen
And that fancy French cologne

Oh Carey get out your cane
I'll put on my finest silver
We'll go to the Mermaid Café
Have fun tonight
I said, Oh, you're a mean old Daddy but I like you
But you're out of sight

© 1970; Joni Mitchell

Heavenleahangel 09-20-2013 07:00 AM

I was named after country singer Tammy Wynette. My biological mom wanted me named Eunice O'dell (OMG NO) but she was unconscious after my delivery, so my maternal aunt jumped in and told the nurse me name "Tammy Marie". Not sure where "Marie" came from. I think because it sounded nice together.

*Anya* 09-20-2013 07:31 AM

I was named after the woman who hosted a Valentine's Day party, where my parents first met.

They each had gone with different dates.

My mom stumbled down the last two stairs coming down from the bathroom (she wasn't drinking, per my mom and I am inclined to believe her as her idea of a party is a glass of Manischewitz wine) and...

...my dad caught her.

My mom's date had too much to drink, so my dad drove her home.

I never did hear what happened to my dad's date.

:wine:

Bard 09-20-2013 08:08 AM

this is a funny story when my mother was pregnant they were sure I was a boy everyone was even her doc.. so I was to be Michael jr after my dad and Joseph for a middle name for my grandpa Joe... well opps it was a girl and a argument ensued they looked at grandmothers names, Elsa (dads mom) and Christine (Moms mom) and my dads mom would have been majorly insulted if they used the other grandmas name not hers ... they the suggestion was Michelle well dad hated that tears flowed from my mother and she reached for a box of tissues knocked over said box and saw the brand name .... Kimberly clark... yup I got the Kimberly but mom was not done for the middle name wait for it ... Joseph... lol... when she went to sleep my dad had it edited to just Kimberly Joe

Miss Scarlett 09-20-2013 08:17 AM

My Mom named me after a male (yes, male...LOL) character in her favorite childhood book "Little Women."

While I use the formal version professionally, my family and friends call me by the more familiar, shorter form that I prefer. For years I considered legally changing it to that shorter form but after Mom died I decided to keep it as is. After all, she chose it and it meant so much to her...

deb_U_taunt 09-20-2013 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sis (Post 846373)
Debbie Reynolds & QEII, thus I am officially Deborah Elizabeth, Debbie to my family and people of my generation or older, Deb to everyone else!

Deb

What sis said lol. Debbie Reynolds

RNguy 09-20-2013 11:02 AM

I SOOOOOOOOOO SOOOOOOOOOO SOOOOOOOOOOO lucked out with my name and I thank my parents a lot for it all the time !!!!!!
I love my name but don't like how my mom came up with my first name .

My parents picked out two names bc they wanted to be suprised about my gender .

Boy name : Blake Aaron
Girl name : Courtney Meghan

So I was born a 4lb baby and my parents said I looked like a Blake .
My brother , mom and dad all have middle names with E so they made Aaron to Erin

Blake Erin is my name THANK GOD bc I would make one ugly female name

cinnamongrrl 09-20-2013 12:07 PM

I was named after an old Italian woman who was my mother's neighbor when she was pregnant for me, Angela. My middle name was SUPPOSED to be Nicole, but my aunt was pregnant at the same time as my mom and named HER daughter Nicole...so my mom had to look for a different middle name. She liked some show or another at that time, and the actress who played her favorite character was named Kristina. So I became Angela Kristina :)

cara 09-20-2013 12:34 PM

My name, Cara, is a family name. I'm a seventh generation Cara! :-)

macele 09-20-2013 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RNguy (Post 846470)
I SOOOOOOOOOO SOOOOOOOOOO SOOOOOOOOOOO lucked out with my name and I thank my parents a lot for it all the time !!!!!!
I love my name but don't like how my mom came up with my first name .

My parents picked out two names bc they wanted to be suprised about my gender .

Boy name : Blake Aaron
Girl name : Courtney Meghan

So I was born a 4lb baby and my parents said I looked like a Blake .
My brother , mom and dad all have middle names with E so they made Aaron to Erin

Blake Erin is my name THANK GOD bc I would make one ugly female name

i've never heard of or met a female named blake. i like it. you do have a cool set of names.

Scots_On_The_Rocks 09-20-2013 02:00 PM

With my birth name, I was named after my mother's girlfriend whom she dated before she met my father. No joke. Perhaps that is why my father never really liked me. :|

Now with my legally changed name, it was chosen because of it's meaning. I chose Soren as that it means: "the one who stands apart" :)

RNguy 09-20-2013 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macele (Post 846510)
i've never heard of or met a female named blake. i like it. you do have a cool set of names.

Thank you , I LOVE it. I didn't have to change my name at all like a lot of trans folks having to.
Several years back , my boss hired a young woman whose daughters name was Blake .
There is also Blake Arrington from dynasty show in the 70's who is a girl.
( shhhhhh ddon't tell but that is where my mom fell in love with the name bc she loved dynasty ).
;)

CherylNYC 09-20-2013 03:10 PM

My mother wanted to name me Shira and my father preferred Laurel. Cheryl was the compromise.

My father and his brother invented their WASPy last name because they were in the Air Force during WW 2, and felt that their ethnic last name was holding them back from career opportunities. For better or worse, I think they were correct. My uncle would likely never have been chosen to become an Air Force 1 helicopter pilot with his original last name.

o'queery 09-20-2013 03:17 PM

When i was born i was named after my Father's Spanish kindergarten sweetheart.

Then when it was time for a name that fit who i grew into i went to him and asked him if he would like to give me my new name.

<3 Which he graciously did.