Butch Femme Planet

Butch Femme Planet (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Fluffy Stuff: Flirting, Humor, Chat (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   What are you reading? (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1589)

Passionaria 06-18-2010 12:31 AM

I just started The claiming of Sleeping Beauty by Anne Rice

It's Squirmy good..........

Kätzchen 06-18-2010 03:41 PM

I'm reading from four texts and various scholarly literature available for collaboration studies.

Bernard, T. (2010). Hope and Hard Times: Communities, Collaboration & Sustainability. Canada: New Society Publishers.

Cox, R. (2010). Environmental Communication and the Public Sphere. Los Angeles, CA: Sage Publications.

Brick, P., Snow, P., Van de Wettering, S. (Eds.). (2001). Across the Great Divide: Explorations in Collaborative Conservation and the American West. Washington, DC: Island Press Publishers.

Gray, B. (1989). Collaborating: Finding Common Ground for Multiparty Problems. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass Publishers.

And 9 sources of scholarly literature to include authors: Deetz (2008), Fischer, Ury & Patton (1991), Heath & Frey (2004), Heath (2010, in press), Levinas & Buber (2004), Lukensmeyer & Brigham (2005), Spano (2001), Barge (2002), Kennedy (2006, Congressional Testimony doc).

daisygrrl 06-19-2010 09:31 PM

I just finished reading Martha O’Conner’s Bitch Posse. Yes, it unequivocally challenges what “chic lit” is—by its preface and conclusion, and it’s “content.” It’s been about three hours since I completed the novel, but I’m still impassioned. And maybe not in the best of ways. Yes, I adored the characters, the plot (or, rather, the supposed, dramatic “pinnacle”)— I predicted. But, I felt depressed and angered during the entire ordeal [and I choose the word “ordeal”] of reading the novel—and maybe that was the point. The novel, to me, feels like a compilation of Duncan Lois (Killing Mr. Griffin and Daughters of Eve, in particular) and any one of Carol Oates’ pieces [I’m thinking of her short story, “Where are you going, Where have you been?”—one of my favorites, in particular]. I’m aggravated, I think (in particular), because I expected to feel empowered by reading this text; instead, I feel like I’ve listened to an entire oeuvre of a music artist and still none-the-wiser—about the artist or myself. Maybe I expect too much from fiction, but I am totally dismayed.

Aggravated bibliophile (or am i just all punk?!),
D---

Gemme 06-19-2010 09:43 PM

My housemate brought me a book from the library called Signspotting, because I like stuff like this. Basically, it's what it sounds like....spotting odd/weird/unusual/funny/etc signs.

Some of my faves thus far:

Promised Land: CLOSED
Evacuation Route--Not a Through Street
Forest Closes at 11:00PM
Caution: Please Be Aware that the Balcony is not on Ground Level
To Feed Fish Please Lay Down and Reach for the Water
Dead Peoples Things for Sale
Barf Bed & Breakfast
Toilet ----> Stay in Your Car

:blink:

The last book she brought home for me? I Haz a Hotdog, the canine version of Lolcatz. :dog:

Enchantress 06-19-2010 11:21 PM

Eat Pray Love (again)

Elizabeth Gilbert (author)

chefhottie25 06-19-2010 11:31 PM

the yellow heart a collection of poems by pablo neruda...in spanish

Lady_Wu 06-21-2010 12:52 PM

New books!

I like giving and reading book reviews in this cozy little book club of our on the Planet. My thanks to you who give book reviews! I finally finished Anne River Siddons Off Season and found it to be better than good! I always like her books. They are what I call "women's books": not chicklit, not romances (in the Harlequin sense) but well-written books for women who have lived a bit. They always make me think, and the ending on this one will have me considering its ramifications for a while. Then I moved on to listening to Life Laid Bare:The Survivors in Rwanda Speak. This book presents 14 Tutsi survivors accounts of the 1994 Hutu genocide of the Tutsis in Rwanda. This will be a book that I will have to listen to in small amounts. Aside from being extremely graphic, it presents the survivors thoughts on WHY the genocide happened, how it changed forever their views of life and death, and how they live now. Most so far seem to have found no reason for why it happened and speak disparaging of the views put forth by sociologists. It happened; that is all one can say. I'd love to discuss this book with someone else. May I put it forth as as the first book for our emerging Book Club? Then I found EXACTLY the right book for my life now: Rightsizing Your Life by Cigi Ware. This book is giving me hope that I CAN change my life! That, nomatter that I am ill, I do have resources upon which and whom I can draw! Thank you, Ms. Ware! Happy reading, all!!!
Namaste,
LadyWu

Melissa 06-21-2010 01:03 PM

Just started Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card.

Miss Scarlett 07-04-2010 12:28 PM

Elie Wiesel's "And the Sea is Never Full, Memoirs, 1969 - " the follow up to the first volume of his memoirs "All Rivers Run to the Sea."

How I would love to spend a few hours talking with this amazing man.

Kätzchen 07-04-2010 12:50 PM

I love this story, so I'm re-reading it!

That Old Ace in the Hole
by Annie Proulx

Sachita 07-04-2010 12:54 PM

Mahabharata by Krishna Dharma

leatherfaery 07-04-2010 01:40 PM

right now

My Dark Places by James Ellroy

Random 07-04-2010 01:42 PM

Chapter House Dune

Get Thin from the inside Out

How to outwit a cat

Dummies guild to Mentalpos..

Abigail Crabby 07-04-2010 02:59 PM

Blockade Billy -

By Stephen King:glasses:

rockybcn 07-04-2010 03:18 PM

The Book Thief...... a novel by Markus Zusak. Set in Nazi Germany, it describes a young girl's relationships with her foster parents, the other residents of their neighborhood, and a Jewish fist-fighter who hides in her home during the escalation of World War II. The story is told from the point of view of Death.

Miss Scarlett 07-04-2010 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leatherfaery (Post 144699)
My Dark Places by James Ellroy

I haven't read this one but I have read his first novel "The Black Dahlia". These two works are somewhat related in that the murder of his mother led to his interest in the Elizabeth Short murder. Have you read "The Black Dahlia"? I'd be interested in your comments on the relationship between the two books/murders.

Semantics 07-05-2010 05:23 PM

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Passage-Justin-Cronin/dp/0345504968"]The Passage by Justin Cronin[/ame]

It's so deliciously disturbing.

oblivia 07-05-2010 11:33 PM

the Sookie Stackhouse books (the series that the show Tru Blood is based on).

Miss Scarlett 07-06-2010 04:31 AM

:glasses:Yesterday I picked up a copy of "When You Eat at the Refrigerator, Pull Up a Chair: 50 Ways to Feel Thin, Gorgeous, and Happy (When You Feel Anything But)" by Geneen Roth. Recommended by the ladies at one of my favorite local women's stores, The Bag Lady, who tell me they cannot keep it in stock.

This is going to be my "purse book" today...Yes, I am such a nerd that I always have a book in my purse for reading at lunch, sitting at traffic lights or any other waiting.

Fancy 07-06-2010 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martina (Post 120143)
The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova. i think she lives in Ann Arbor. Pretty engrossing. Vampires and research in old archives.

It took me awhile and a few attempts to get started with this book (it seemed overly descriptive, long, and rambling). However, once I did get deeper into the book it was well worth it. Enjoy!