Butch Femme Planet

Butch Femme Planet (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/index.php)
-   Politics And Law (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=105)
-   -   Only in Canada: Ann Coulter Silenced (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1080)

suebee 03-24-2010 07:39 AM

Only in Canada: Ann Coulter Silenced

Ann Coulter was *not* given a resounding welcome to the University of Ottawa. Protesters, estimated to be as many as 2000, prevented her from speaking, saying that her message of hate was not welcome there. Story here.

While part of me is pretty much tickled at this, I have mixed feelings. Personally, in view of many of the things she's said in the past, I question whether she should have even been allowed into the country. We have strict anit-hate laws here. Phelps et al were banned from entering last year when they planned on "protesting" at the funeral of a victim of a violent crime. But where does free speech begin and end?

Personally I find Ann Coulter's "logic" so asinine I can't believe people actually listen to her, but that's another whole thread.

Linus 03-24-2010 08:17 AM

Well, I found it funnier that she was going to a human right commission investigate Western and UofO for "discriminating" against her (http://www.nationalpost.com/news/story.html?id=2710026). Uh. Wut? She believes no other speaker has to face this, just her.

Martina 03-24-2010 08:43 AM

Go Canada!

Random 03-24-2010 08:45 AM

I'm a firm beliver in the concept of Shunning, Isolation and The will of the people..

You can spout what ever you want, but we don't have to listen..
You can do what ever you want, but we don't have to put up with it..
If you can not act in a manner that the people have deemed to be in their best interest, then we invite you to leave this place and go to where your actions are better tolerated..

Free speech, in my mind, means I can state my point of view.. It doesn't mean that I can put a box up in the middle of a road to do it... Location isn't part of free speech.. In my mind..

Andrew, Jr. 03-24-2010 09:13 AM

Go Canada! The USA needs to follow Canada's Actions!

Folks like Ann Coulter, Rev. Fred Phelps, Rush Limbaugh, and others really bother me. I like it when their hate is silenced. It is not necessary in this day and age to spew hatred.

Mitmo01 03-24-2010 11:15 AM

Talking Heads like this idiot have a right to express thier opinion in this country. We also have a right to not listen..what gets slippery is when you have a pulpit to espouse your views like fox news, talk radio, tv and your voice has sway over the millions of sheeple that buy the crock of shit that your spewing.....personally I think that ann coulter and rush limbaugh are assinine idiots but they have every right to say what they want as much as i have the right to say to them, I dont want to hear what your saying....

sometime the end result is horrible, ie--the denver radio talk show host Alan Berg..who got murdered for what he was saying...

but id rather hear the stupidity than have it be silenced outriight by the government because where does that stop?

Linus 03-24-2010 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mitmo01 (Post 72495)
Talking Heads like this idiot have a right to express thier opinion in this country. We also have a right to not listen..what gets slippery is when you have a pulpit to espouse your views like fox news, talk radio, tv and your voice has sway over the millions of sheeple that buy the crock of shit that your spewing.....personally I think that ann coulter and rush limbaugh are assinine idiots but they have every right to say what they want as much as i have the right to say to them, I dont want to hear what your saying....

sometime the end result is horrible, ie--the denver radio talk show host Alan Berg..who got murdered for what he was saying...

but id rather hear the stupidity than have it be silenced outriight by the government because where does that stop?

The Constitution is what stops it. Basically, in Canada you can say what you want but if what you say advocates violence against others (e.g., "Kill the <insert epitath>!! The holocaust was a lie!!") then, no, you can't say that. In Canada, that is akin to yelling Fire in the theater.

Honestly, it can work in Canada because of the way the society was made and because of the attitude there. It would never work in the US based on what I've seen thus far.

SuperFemme 03-24-2010 11:40 AM

can't you edit out Kill the M-Fing......

bad example man.

Linus 03-24-2010 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperFemme (Post 72507)
can't you edit out Kill the M-Fing......

bad example man.

Apologies and good point.

SuperFemme 03-24-2010 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linus (Post 72515)
Apologies and good point.

Thank you. I hope she opens her mouth too wide and gets arrested. I like the image of Coulter in hand-cuffs.

AtLast 03-24-2010 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cybersuebee (Post 72424)
Ann Coulter was *not* given a resounding welcome to the University of Ottawa. Protesters, estimated to be as many as 2000, prevented her from speaking, saying that her message of hate was not welcome there. Story here.

While part of me is pretty much tickled at this, I have mixed feelings. Personally, in view of many of the things she's said in the past, I question whether she should have even been allowed into the country. We have strict anit-hate laws here. Phelps et al were banned from entering last year when they planned on "protesting" at the funeral of a victim of a violent crime. But where does free speech begin and end?

Personally I find Ann Coulter's "logic" so asinine I can't believe people actually listen to her, but that's another whole thread.

Free speech rights have such a thin line. I agree. Inciting hatred that leads to violence cannot be condoned, I believe. But, free speech has been the catalyst for so much good change historically in both your country and mine.

What I have a big problem with here in the US, is a mega-billionaire owning so much of cable news and other right-wing wealthy people controlling other media and using it as a propaganda pulpit for their views. And now in the US, the Supreme Court has given the wealthy corporations free rein with political contributions. This is not equal representation, nor is it free speech! Groups, individuals with opposing opinions that are not rich cannot reach the masses.

Coulter is an opportunistic, spoiled, rich, privileged white girl! Reminds me of Phyllis Schaffer (circa 1960's). To me, she is the rich, snotty, thin, blonde white girl with the BMW her father gave her for HS graduation riding off to an Ivy League university believing that is how everyone lives!!! And that this is her God given right. THAT is the basis of her internal logic! Just exercising my right to free speech... I’m glad the protestors shut her up!!!

suebee 03-24-2010 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtLastHome (Post 72529)

Free speech rights have such a thin line. I agree. Inciting hatred that leads to violence cannot be condoned, I believe. But, free speech has been the catalyst for so much good change historically in both your country and mine.

What I have a big problem with here in the US, is a mega-billionaire owning so much of cable news and other right-wing wealthy people controlling other media and using it as a propaganda pulpit for their views. And now in the US, the Supreme Court has given the wealthy corporations free rein with political contributions. This is not equal representation, nor is it free speech! Groups, individuals with opposing opinions that are not rich cannot reach the masses.

Coulter is an opportunistic, spoiled, rich, privileged white girl! Reminds me of Phyllis Schaffer (circa 1960's). To me, she is the rich, snotty, thin, blonde white girl with the BMW her father gave her for HS graduation riding off to an Ivy League university believing that is how everyone lives!!! And that this is her God given right. THAT is the basis of her internal logic! Just exercising my right to free speech... I’m glad the protestors shut her up!!!

While I was eating lunch in a little diner I could see on their TV that Fox "News" was running this story pretty-much non-stop. I couldn't hear what was being said, but it's interesting they'd pick up on such a small incident in - Canada - of all places! :) The one thing I did hear was that Coulter was blaming the University Provost for inciting the students, as he had sent Coulter an email warning her that criminal prosecution is possible if she were to flaunt the anti-hate laws here. Ummmmm - I do believe it was Coulter herself who leaked that message to the media.......the self-serving, dull-witted........ Grrrrrrrrr!!!

NJFemmie 03-24-2010 12:32 PM

She did leak it to the media and she supposedly canceled the speech - not the University as the media is making it sound.

What's "funny" is ... when a person like this opens her mouth, those who disagree or oppose her thinking WISHES someone would shut her up - and in this case, someone did. Ironically - she did it, and now cries she was discriminated against.

WTF?!?!

This "woman" is a fucking basket case.

That's MY opinion, freedom of speech and all.

suebee 03-24-2010 05:22 PM

Her version of the truth, as per usual, is a little bit inflated. Here's CBC's evening article on the story.

Hudson 03-24-2010 05:38 PM

Not so fast, Canada

Ray Charles silenced her from beyond the grave, right here in America.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Abg01gokXqY"]YouTube- Ray Charles interrupts Ann Coulter at Bridgeport Tea Party[/ame]

Linus 03-24-2010 05:43 PM

Just... Wow.

I'm... Wow.

Corkey 03-24-2010 05:47 PM

Is there any doubt tea-baggers are racist? No didn't think so. Bunch of scum.

Soon 03-24-2010 05:50 PM

ann coulter gets pwned

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmcZG87Fmxc"]YouTube- Ann Coulter, Canada, & Vietnam[/nomedia]

evolveme 03-24-2010 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HowSoonIsNow (Post 72715)

This just made my fucking day, man.

Cyclopea 03-24-2010 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hudson (Post 72707)
Ray Charles silenced her from beyond the grave, right here in America.

YouTube- Ray Charles interrupts Ann Coulter at Bridgeport Tea Party

HAhahahahaha! Too funny!
Love me some first amendment...go Ray!