Butch Femme Planet

Butch Femme Planet (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Fluffy Stuff: Flirting, Humor, Chat (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   For those who are fans of Lady Gaga (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1565)

Linus 06-08-2010 07:58 PM

For those who are fans of Lady Gaga

I figure if there were others who were fans/admirers of Gaga, may want to discuss the videos and what they do. I was recently looking at her video Alejandro and I do like. Although I don't quite fit into her demographic, I admit being a fan and her videos are really interesting and fascinating.

Anyone else?

femmebaker 06-08-2010 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linus (Post 126075)
I figure if there were others who were fans/admirers of Gaga, may want to discuss the videos and what they do. I was recently looking at her video Alejandro and I do like. Although I don't quite fit into her demographic, I admit being a fan and her videos are really interesting and fascinating.

Anyone else?

I concur! I haven't actually had the chance to see all of her videos (including Alejandro), but I love her as "performance artist." In a recent interview, she related her experience of not fitting in in high school and of wanting, at the time, to be like Boy George. Very telling and thoroughly endearing.

An aside to you, Linus... I snicker (usually out loud) everytime I see your signature photo. There is someting about being a Southern girl turned New Yorker, a bit of a Canadian fetish if you will :cheerleader:

Linus 06-08-2010 08:30 PM

There's nothing wrong "a-boot" a little Canadian fetish.. :canadian:

And ya. Performance artist is a good way to do. Many people compare her to Madonna but there is something more to Gaga than what Madonna did (at least from my perspective of when I saw Madonna evolve when I was growing up).

femmebaker 06-08-2010 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linus (Post 126094)

And ya. Performance artist is a good way to do. Many people compare her to Madonna but there is something more to Gaga than what Madonna did (at least from my perspective of when I saw Madonna evolve when I was growing up).

Teehee!

Yes, I love me some Madonna, but Lady Gaga is definitely something different. I think they're similar in that they are both in control of what they're presenting. Madonna was always a business woman first, whereas Lady Gaga is all about the art. Neither is "better," just differently focused.

PinkieLee 06-09-2010 07:20 AM

Yep, I'm another fan of Lady Gaga. She is an amazing artist that is able to keep us entertained ~ never knowing what she'll do next! I love her theatrical flare, but I must admit, it's her acoustic stuff that blows me away...

I officially became a fan after seeing this performance...

Gemme 06-09-2010 07:51 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by femmebaker (Post 126100)
Teehee!

Yes, I love me some Madonna, but Lady Gaga is definitely something different. I think they're similar in that they are both in control of what they're presenting. Madonna was always a business woman first, whereas Lady Gaga is all about the art. Neither is "better," just differently focused.

I agree and disagree with you both, to a degree. I agree with femmebaker that Madonna has always been a fantastic businesswoman and that LG focuses her ambition in the art itself moreso than the business.

However, they are doing EXACTLY the same thing....but it's a different time and so it seem as if it's different but it's not.

Both have basically turned the musical world on its ear. Both are strong women demanding that they showcase their art in the way they see fit. Both are good show women and present fantastic visuals for their audiences/fans. Both have a voice and a vision. Both are legendary. Both know which side of the bread is buttered and cater to our community. Both control their work and are steadfast in remaining true to it (Anyone remember the Blonde Amibition tour when Madonna was threatened to be arrested at multiple times in multiple venues for presenting religion on the same platter as sex and hedonism? I think one of those times was in Canada, but I'd have to check on that and I'm too lazy right now. I know one of them was overseas.) Both write extremely well and often give us food for thought with their music and lyrics.

And lastly, Lady Gaga would not be here if Madonna had not paved the way first. I don't necessarily feel as if it's a 'passing the torch' kind of deal between them but I do feel as if LG continues where M has left off, musically and in terms of messages and pushing the envelope.

Gemme, who loves both of them but still cringed/s at some of those outfits

NJFemmie 06-09-2010 08:12 AM

I like her, she's weird. She has awesome shock value, and her outrageous outfits are quite entertaining. She's made it so she is not forgotten.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/.a/6...812a970c-320pi

Sabine Gallais 06-09-2010 10:37 AM

Here's the main difference between Lady GaGa and Madonna (and the reason I'm liking GaGa a lot these days): LGG can SING for real.

:listening:

Now, this opinion comes from a diehard, long time, "I knew you before you were famous" Madge fan. I had Madonna's first album before anyone else in my dorm back in the day. I just dated myself. :glasses: Anyhow, if you've ever seen Madonna sing live or without ProTools, well-----let's just say Madge doesn't have a natural voice whereas GaGa does.

I read an article in NY Magazine about her rise to fame and I love this quote from her:

"I'm from New York. I'll kill to get what I want." :quickdraw:

Random 06-09-2010 11:00 AM

Quote:

You know.. I never associated Gaga with Madonna..

For me.. her energy is more Freddy Mercury and Elton John way back in the day..

NJFemmie 06-09-2010 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Random (Post 126379)
You know.. I never associated Gaga with Madonna..

For me.. her energy is more Freddy Mercury and Elton John way back in the day..

I never made the association either. Two very different artists.
I've always believed that Madonna was just pure shock value. I tend to think LG is more personality-interpretative.

Darth Denkay 06-10-2010 06:33 PM

Another Lady Gaga fan here - I suppose that makes me a "little monster?" I generally don't care at all for dance music but there's something about her art that draws me in.

PinkieLee - thanks for posting her acoustic papparazzi - I stumbled upon it a while back on youtube and watch it almost daily - she's got me hooked!

Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkieLee (Post 126295)
Yep, I'm another fan of Lady Gaga. She is an amazing artist that is able to keep us entertained ~ never knowing what she'll do next! I love her theatrical flare, but I must admit, it's her acoustic stuff that blows me away...

I officially became a fan after seeing this performance...

SmoothButch 08-01-2010 10:56 AM

Did someone say Gaga?

I'm going to dedicate my first BFP post to Gaga herself.
This video is from the concert that we drove ten hours to see. Then we are seeing her perform again in DC this September. I am a dedicated monster for sure. Her words and actions inspire me. Her music totally rocks and she is a woman in control and she knows it. Hell to the yeah, long live Gaga!

lipstixgal 08-01-2010 11:23 AM

Re: Lady Gaga fan

I'm definitely a Lady GaGa fan for sure. I think that Madonna is very good at what she does. Some say she is eerily like Madonna but I don't think so. I have watched her videos over and over again and they are much different then Madonna.

My friends in Missouri don't like her because they think she is too much like Madonna but like Gemme said Madonna paved the way for gaga to do the things she does.

She really is a performance artist!!

TenderKnight 08-01-2010 11:36 AM

Linus! Thank you for starting this thread.. I deVOUR LadyGaGa and her music.. I can't get enough.. I love her style, her soul.. I love her videos! I will watch them over and over again and still want more.. I am not sure why, but she stirs something in me.

Pinkielee, thank you so much for posting the acoustic version.. I had never seen it and now I'm hooked too.. I don't get chills from just any voice and when I heard that song, I got chills. Simply awesome..

I posted this lastnight in the what are you listening to thread, think it's ok to post it again.. I love this video because of the playing with gender and gender rolls.. And you can see how much passion she has..

I totally go gay boy when I hear this song.. Fucking hot and sexy, the whole thing..

I also like this one because it's fun.. and the Prison scenes are pretty fucking hot.. lol.. I've desided that if I ever go to prison, I want in on this one! lol

Will post more soon.. Thank you so much for this thread!

Stearns 08-01-2010 11:45 AM

Just popping in to say I love Lady Gaga. Her music, her daring, her open and unapologetic support of the LBGT community. We'll definitely be going to a concert.

RockOn 08-01-2010 11:51 AM

Count me as a Gaga fan ... I have a couple of her CDs. She is good but like someone mentioned, the outfits are a bit much.

Lady Gaga has a hell of a voice ... also, quite sexy too.

Rook 08-01-2010 12:14 PM

Took me a Long...Long long ...LONG long long time to openly admit that Lady GaGa's kinda growing on me...
Mostly, and I'll stress this Mostly because of her Artistic Theatrics..
Before I decide to 'like' something, I generally read the lyrics to a particular song that is Catchy from them, that way I know Im not just jumping into something with nonsense b.s.{or offensive}, leaving me out of the loop like a clueless Deaf fucker...
I made an exception with her.
The visual was enough..
The comparison to Madonna is justified...
Think about it, when Madonna started...she was considered outlandish, eccentric beyond belief and considering the time she popped up, she was as in-your-face and "fuck you if u dont like it" as possible [Like a Prayer drew shitload of mixed critics @ the time, Justify my Love, to my knowledge gets more sensual/sexual with every Tour, memory refresh]...
The artistry GaGa can afford nowadays, she owes..
She's unique, that much I'll give, I'm always curious about what she'll do next ..
And my fondness kind of took over when I saw her greeting the Queen of England , mumblin "Now that takes cojones, serious ben wa....damn"
And yeah Alejandro was awesome....

My only petpeeve?
When she continues to say "The Gays"....
Otherwise, right up there with Material Girl...

:jester:

Laerkin 08-01-2010 02:06 PM

I fell in love with Gaga when we saw her at the Gay Equality March in Washington, DC last year. Her outspoken and unwavering support for gay rights and gay visibility won her major bonus points.

We just saw her in Toronto a few weeks ago and I also love that she sings live, the show is truly a show (not just a bunch of songs), the charity she donates to is for gay homeless teens, AND she was so gracious with the audience.

The more I read about Gaga and the more I hear her interviews, the more I really admire her balls and artistry.

TenderKnight 08-01-2010 03:22 PM

Yes another reason to love me some GaGa.. This is her at a stop on her tour in Phonix.. She talks about SB1070.. Really pretty powerful and cool that she did this..

Tommi 08-01-2010 03:59 PM

Go GaGa

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 165662)
Count me as a Gaga fan ... I have a couple of her CDs. She is good but like someone mentioned, the outfits are a bit much.

Lady Gaga has a hell of a voice ... also, quite sexy too.

A buddy of mine shares her CD's and videos with me and we go GaGa together...