Butch Femme Planet

Butch Femme Planet (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/index.php)
-   Current Affairs/World Issues/Science And History (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=133)
-   -   Hurricane News & Other Helpful Info (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3739)

Scorp 08-26-2011 10:01 AM

Hurricane News & Other Helpful Info

Hey All,

Hurricane Irene is headed up the East Coast.

85 mph winds, all of the above expected to hit us Sunday morning.

Be ready. Here are some supplies to have on hand.

At a minimum, have the basic supplies listed below. Keep supplies in an easy to carry emergency preparedness kit that you can use at home or take with you in case you must evacuate.

Water—one gallon per person, per day 3 day supply for evacuation, 2 week supply for home)
Food—non perishable, easy to prepare items 3 day supply for evacuation, 2 week supply for home)
Flashlight
Battery powered or hand crank radio (NOAA Weather Radio, if possible)
Extra batteries
First aid kit
Medications 7 day supply and medical items
Multi purpose tool
Sanitation and personal hygiene items
Copies of personal documents (medication list and pertinent medical information, proof of address, deed/lease to home, passports, birth certificates, insurance policies)
Cell phone with chargers
Family and emergency contact information
Extra cash
Emergency blanket
Map(s) of the area
Consider the needs of all family members and add supplies to your kit. Suggested items to help meet additional needs are:

Medical supplies (hearing aids with extra batteries, glasses, contact lenses, syringes, cane)
Baby supplies (bottles, formula, baby food, diapers)
Games and activities for children
Pet supplies (collar, leash, ID, food, carrier, bowl)
Two way radios
Extra set of car keys and house keys
Manual can opener

Additional supplies to keep at home or in your kit based on the types of disasters common to your area:

Whistle
N95 or surgical masks
Matches
Rain gear
Towels
Work gloves
Tools/supplies for securing your home
Extra clothing, hat and sturdy shoes
Plastic sheeting
Duct tape
Scissors
Household liquid bleach
Entertainment items
Blankets or sleeping bags

LaneyDoll 08-26-2011 10:20 AM

Sturdy shoes!!! When we have a tornado hit here, a lot of people are surprised and barefooted. They literally shred their feet trying to "walk out." So, when the sirens go off now, my kids are sent to go put on a pair of tenis shoes.

:sparklyheart:

PinkieLee 08-26-2011 10:20 AM

Scorpie... am I the only one that's seeing <<<disallowed word>>> throughout the post?!

Cowboi 08-26-2011 10:22 AM

Tuck and Cover!!!!!

Scorp 08-26-2011 10:24 AM

Strange, I saw it too after you mentioned that and went in and edited that stuff out. May had to do with symbols parenthesis when posting.

Thanks for mentioning should be better to read now
;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkieLee (Post 406064)
Scorpie... am I the only one that's seeing <<<disallowed word>>> throughout the post?!

diamondrose 08-26-2011 10:25 AM

Stay away from windows!

PinkieLee 08-26-2011 10:27 AM

Living on the Gulf Coast in Texas for most of my life... I have been through more hurricanes than I care to count! I also suggest filling up your gasoline tanks ASAP... before the crowds hit & you are stuck in line forever. If you do have an extra gas can to fill up... just in case you have to evacuate and end up stuck in traffic for hours on end.

The_Lady_Snow 08-26-2011 10:27 AM

Stay safe!! <> is allowed <>

PinkieLee 08-26-2011 10:31 AM

Y'all just please stay safe!

diamondrose 08-26-2011 10:31 AM

As my coworker and I were watching Irene on the map pass by us by literally inches, I realized something..

In that very moment we completly trusted that storm not to make a sudden turn for us.

Just saying :)

Please stay safe everyone!!

PinkieLee 08-26-2011 10:35 AM

Hurricanes are scarey stuff... and are NEVER 100% predictable. With 2 of the major hurricanes that devestated my hometowns (Rita & Ike), neither were supposed to hit us... but then changed directions at the last minute.

All you can do is be prepared!

tantalizingfemme 08-26-2011 10:45 AM

Remove everything outside that isn't nailed down, and fill your bath tub with water to use for flushing.

I am also keeping one car out of the garage, in case the electricity goes out and there is a problem manually opening the door.

Just_G 08-26-2011 10:49 AM

Something else I heard mentioned last night is to try and park your car in a parking garage, on at least the 2nd or 3rd level as to avoid having your car get flooded.

Rachel Maddow made a statement last night about how Californians laughed at the reaction to the east coasters after the earthquake, and now the Floridians are making fun of them for their response to Irene coming their way...she said, "65 million people in the path of a devastating storm is nothing to make fun of or laugh at." So true.

Please stay safe and stock up on what you need!

Scorp 08-26-2011 11:00 AM

People are such assholes laughing at us. Even something like that they seem to always make it a fuckin' contest.

We're not use having any type of earthquake, tremors, major hurricanes, or whatever. For people experiencing that shit for the first time, it sure the fuck is scary no matter if it was 5.8 or 2.8, 30 mile winds, 85 mile winds, rains, monsoons...whatever the case may be.

No matter what scale, "potential" harm is nothing to laugh at.

Let's see their asses up here in conditions of snow blizzards (or if mother nature fucked them and they got tons of snow) (not likely to happen...but) and see who laughs at who....

Thanks for the post G.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just_G (Post 406087)
Something else I heard mentioned last night is to try and park your car in a parking garage, on at least the 2nd or 3rd level as to avoid having your car get flooded.

Rachel Maddow made a statement last night about how Californians laughed at the reaction to the east coasters after the earthquake, and now the Floridians are making fun of them for their response to Irene coming their way...she said, "65 million people in the path of a devastating storm is nothing to make fun of or laugh at." So true.

*Anya* 08-26-2011 11:04 AM

Quote:

Hey Scorp! This Californian was not laughing, they are scary!

Hang in there east coasters, us west coasters on the planet are sending good thoughts your way (if OK to speak for other folks on west coast).

Sachita 08-26-2011 11:05 AM

Be safe for sure. A hurricane like this and it's size is unpredictable. I am west of Richmond but I have a feeling we will get a lot of wind and maybe power outage.

however if there is anyone in harms way, needs to evacuate, is alone or with pets and no where to go please email me for my phone. I will make room even if its camping out in my barn. You MUST love dogs tho because we're slammed with them.

Don't get shit faced if you are at risk. This is no laughing matter or reason to party unless you're out of harms way. Reach out to people that need help. Lots of people disabled, need rides, places to stay, help with pets. Let's help them.

bigchefherbs at gmail

*Anya* 08-26-2011 11:15 AM

Per the Weather Channel:

Hurricane Irene Bearing Down on the East Coast

Hurricane Irene is bearing down on the U.S. East Coast with exteme impacts expected through the weekend. Hurricane warnings and watches are posted as far north as New England.

Anyone in the corridor from eastern North Carolina to the Northeast U.S. should be making final preparations for a hurricane!

Reader 08-26-2011 11:43 AM

There is usually a lot of wildlife and birds where I am, but I can say they have all gone...somewhere, safe I hope.

It is oddly quiet.

Even the deer have taken a respite from dining on my plantings.

The animals' silence makes me think we will get hit. Having survived Hurricane Emily, I doubt it will be too bad. (hope not, anyway!)

Be safe all.

LeftWriteFemme 08-26-2011 12:49 PM

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townn...review-300.jpg

It's not all bad news.......surf's up!

Dominique 08-26-2011 01:42 PM

Quote:

Apparently they have short memories. Our utility people drove down and spent weeks, living in tents-away from their familys etc. helping to restore. That's the thanks we get (?)
I realize not all are that way. On the otherside....

One year after Katrina, (our utility people went to Mississippi to help out there) A Billboard at a very busy intersection read The Folks from Mississippi Say Thank-You
for your Help After Katrina. Damn near made me cry.(f)