Old 05-07-2010, 11:21 AM   #8
JustJo
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
pushy broad
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Follow your heart; it knows things your mind cannot explain.

1 Highscore

Thanked 25,407 Times in 4,661 Posts
JustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST Reputation

Wow...welcome everyone

I started this thread, went away for a conference call, and came back to a group!

I would love any recipes for healthy but tasty meals and desserts. I love to cook and bake...and also have a 12 year old son at home, so what I make has to work for both of us. And I have a sweet tooth too....I try to do it only in moderation.

Cutting out fast food almost completely, and regular soda completely, has made a big difference - not only in my blood sugar but also in my cholesterol and triglyceride readings as well.

For me, the biggest difference seems to be whether I exercise or not. A 45 minute walk will drop my next day's fasting blood sugar by 10 points.

Right now I'm trying to focus more on the diet and exercise piece, and weaning myself off of some of the oral meds (carefully). They changed our health insurance this year and I have a $2400 deductible for my son and I. That meant that my first 3 month supply of meds was going to run me $1400....with another $1000 to pay out 3 months later. I chose instead to go off of my lipitor (for cholesterol...which the doc and I had been thinking we were ready to discontinue anyway), and the januvia (which made it easier to stick to the diet but didn't seem to have a huge impact on my blood sugar). That brought the bill down from $1400 to about $650...and so far my readings are good.

Andrew...I'm sending you a hug. I live in fear of neuropathy. My grandfather lost a leg to it, and I had heard that the pain was horrible. My retinopathy is not too bad and doesn't impact my vision particularly. It's there...but we appear to have stabilized my blood sugar in time to freeze it in its tracks. It's a huge motivator for me...since reading and writing is what I do most often. I want my eyes to stay healthy for a good long time. That's worth cutting out the candy and fast food and going for a walk for me.

So...another conference call beckons (I work from home)...but I'm all for supporting and encouraging each other in this...and sharing those great recipe ideas. Thanks again to all of you for posting!