Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian non-stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Committed to being good to myself

Thanked 40,792 Times in 7,290 Posts
*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayandgray View Post
My biggest issue with eating vegetarian/vegan is I overeat carbs..... I’m obese to begin with so I don’t need to be pigging out on pasta, rice, etc. I’m trying to get myself psyched up to work a low carb version of a vegetarian plan.
I know this is from last month but wanted to respond again.

I can only speak for me and what works for me but maybe it will work for you, too.

When it comes to carbs: there is no such thing as a little bit.

There is something about carbs that makes me crave them if I eat a little bit.

For me, it literally means no breads (not even low carb ones), no rolls, no wraps, no rice, no potatoes, no sweets (other than maybe a fresh pear or peach with cottage cheese).

It is even hard to find yogurts that are 2 or 4% milkfat but no added sugar. I look for at least low fat with sugar grams 5-7 max. You would think yogurt is healthy but some have 16-17 grams of sugar!

You get the idea.

A week of this and I am rechecking my pantry to make sure that there are no triggers in there for me. (I do love Graham crackers and always find a box that I throw away).

Low carb or keto does usually involves eating the M ( meat ) word for some of us low carbers and I know this is the vegan/vegetarian thread so I won't go there.

I think for any healthy way of eating, you have to identify your goal and perhaps break it down. For me: no processed foods or carb-laden foods. I am still on a lazy keto (40-ish carbs, veggies and occasional fruits) but hard-core low carbers or those just starting out drop to 20. I don't think I could do that.

Regardless, being able to have fats totally satiate me and I am never hungry. Low-fat diets are a disaster for me.

It is just peace for me to not have to think about food or to feel guilty or bad about myself or what I am eating.

If I am hungry (and I am rarely hungry on low carb) I eat.

I hope it is ok I invaded the vegan/ vegetarian thread. I would like to get there at some point but that is a longer-term goal for me.

Democracy Dies in Darkness

~Washington Post

"...I'm deeply concerned by recently adopted policies which punish children for their parents’ actions ... The thought that any State would seek to deter parents by inflicting such abuse on children is unconscionable."

UN Human Rights commissioner
*Anya* is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to *Anya* For This Useful Post: