Old 02-14-2018, 08:22 PM   #6805
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,770 Times in 25,661 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
A box or envelope is fine by me. I ditto'ed the use of the small flat rate box from USPS for a few reasons... the postage is just 'bout $7 ... and... the box is free... and... a box stands up better to being handled by our beloved USPS... and... a box can't be folded and/or shoved into a mail box.

Sending extra dough is great... but... I have a sense that the extra sent may not always extend sufficiently to cover the extra postage and the extra packaging for all of the participants. Larger, heavier or oddly shaped pieces means postage and packaging on all the packages is increased.

If we don't want to create any max/min standards at this time, that's cool! The points I mention above are clearly on my mind right now! If for no other reason, I'm glad I was wrangler on this twinchie project so no one else had to deal with my getting carried away! lol

You are right; sometimes what is sent does not cover the full costs. I've eaten it a few times over the years, but we're not in it to get rich. If we are, I'm totally doing it wrong.

A pro for the flat rate shipping boxes is that it doesn't cost anything other than crumpled paper or bubble wrap and some tape. I tend to buy padded envelopes in bulk packages so the cost is minimal for me overall. I also work in an office that gets shipping supplies in from other shipments so I can 'requisition' them for my purposes. I know not everyone is that lucky.

We've not had issues with packaging except for the occasional blip now and again. It's usually due to the artist not packaging it properly but sometimes the mail service does get a little rough. I just try to plan for the worst and hope for the best. And always get a tracking number!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycfem View Post
My personal vote is for Nanners original idea. I think that if people are giving a list of 10 things and the goal is to Focus on a theme of one or more, then that really doesn’t involve buying anything special necessarily. I also think they can still be filled, it would just take some creative interpretation and spins. It’s so cool to have a piece of art that is made in light of what we specifically enjoy!
I agree!

If someone lists 10 things that they enjoy/love/adore/etc, there are a plethora of ways each item/thing can be determined.

If nan says she likes purple and cats, I could hunt for a tiny purple cat, I can draw a wacky purple cat or I can cut out purple paper in the shape-ish of a cat.

If ccb says she loves glitter and vintage stuff, I could find a vintage picture online and coat it with a glitter glue or I could find a sparkly vintage sticker or I could draw something appropriate-ish.....'ish' because of my drawing capabilities...and then sprinkle it with glitter and seal it or I could find a shiny, happy, vintage-y charm and put in inside the box.

If clay says beach and sunshine and quirky trinkets, I could include a fun tiny flip flop or draw one or do a beach themed box with flip flop or beach ball cut outs.

If I say unicorns and fuzzy things, someone could take fuzzy, soft yarn and create a unicorn-ish shaped creature and glue it down.

One reason I love nan's idea so much is that it's soooo open to interpretation and doesn't demand high level crafting skills, which I don't have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by candy_coated_bitch View Post
12 seems like a lot to me, personally. I'm not sure I could make 12 matchboxes doable. But I'll wait and see what others think.

I really like the idea of having them tailored to our specific interests the more I think about it. Good idea nanners! I can see that there are creative ways to fill the boxes now, though I will probably still end up buying stuff lol!
We could split the difference and say a cap of 11. 11 is lucky say the Chinese!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clay View Post
Here is my "spin" (dle) on things....pun intended..lol

I liked when we each made the matchboxes how we wanted, rather than "filling" them....to me, that isn't so much "art"....just thinking out loud here...I am a wee bit confused here...

If ten or twelve folks make a list of things they like etc....then do we not still have to buy those 10 0r 12 things specific for each person?......

I am hopelessly lost here...sorry....
We wouldn't have to buy anything except the boxes (and not those if you already have them!). You can paint, sculpt or mold clay or you could buy tiny fun things and bits. You could do a mixture of both.

When we did the matchboxes one time, nyc said she liked fun burgers so I got some Playdoh and created a 'burger' for her with lettuce and tomato and everything. That went inside the box. It didn't 'fill' it but was inside of it and went with the stickers I put inside.

One of the ones I did had a mermaid on the outside of the box and her dwelling, with netting and seashells, etc inside.

I also did one that was strictly paint and stickers and some yarn, I think.

Nan was suggesting we leave it up to the person to choose out of the 10 (or whatever) items and we get to choose how we interpret the use of those items and how we incorporate them into the box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaMa'am View Post
This is great! I didn't know you could buy matchboxes just for crafting. But suppose I were to get the regular ones, with matches inside, from the grocery store. I expect I would have to remove the striker paper (and the matches). But is it better to use the ones made specifically for crafts? Or does it really matter?
You can absolutely use the ones off the shelf. You could paint over the strip or incorporate it or scrape it off. Your choice. It is definitely recommended that the matches go elsewhere...unless someone says they are super into matches.

Also, size would be paramount. There are two main sizes and they make all the difference in terms of difficulty and cost. I'd suggest we go with the smaller size.

I appreciate you, clay. If everyone else wants to do this project and is okay with me wrangling, I'd be happy to do so. If someone else is ready and hasn't done it in a while, I'd be happy to participate too. It's been a while since I did a matchbox project.

I'm misunderestimated.

Last edited by Gemme; 02-14-2018 at 08:24 PM.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post: