Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
jenny
Preferred Pronoun?:
babygirl
Relationship Status:
First Lady of the United SMH

Thanked 26,591 Times in 4,691 Posts
dark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by charley View Post
I watched the first half of the 1st episode (the Pilot), this TV series will cause many to react to triggers: drugs, sex, mental illnesses...

There is quite a lot of controversy regarding this show.

Actually, I got bored half-way thru the first episode, and stopped watching.

Spoiler alert:

The kid is numbering window panes in her mind and keeps getting interrupted by the control-freak mother, and so starts crying; so, the mom takes her to a shrink, and the shrink labels her with a zillion mental illnesses, and she is prescribed all sorts of meds!! It goes downhill from there.

Ya know, I didn't think she had that bad of a childhood apart from that one incident, so I had problems believing the story line (apparently, her sister was "normal" - whatever that means! - and the fact that there was no sexual abuse in childhood, no beating, no abandonment, so it was difficult to believe how her illness develops). A lot of passionless, mindless, mediocre teenagers with nothing better to do than think about sex, and drugs, and ... you get it! I wonder what teenagers watching this will or might identify with the characters...
I watched 3 episodes and i have not felt driven to pick it back up again, but i did not have a believability issue with her illness. Childnood mental illness is not caused by trauma.

I did wonder why we don't see any OCD behaviors after the windowpane-counting scene, though. They are not showing any pathology except substance use in the non-flashback scenes, and that is not realistic.

I love Zendaya's acting in this though, and i love the Jules character-- she reminds me of sweet trans girls i have known who did not get to live with their parents or go to high school, and makes me sad for them