Old 11-02-2020, 10:02 AM   #1820
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,770 Times in 25,661 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Okay, so....I've become allergic to my cat. I have two, through default, and may be allergic to both but only one of them insists on loving me up from sunup to sundown so he's the problem.

I've tried antihistamines and bee pollen and de-shedding tools and have spent a small fortune on lint rollers and silicone mitts and food that's supposed to help with shedding. It was getting to the point that I was rejecting or redirecting him when he came to love on me, which made me feel badly and hurt his feelings.

I inadvertently found a solution. I got him a new cat tree for Christmas since he's too large for the one Gracie uses. He's over 20lbs so he's a big boy. The tree doesn't have flat platforms; they are curved and encompass him nicely. I started to notice that he had a small hair mat just before they got their shots at the beginning of the year. The vet took care of it then but as the months went by, more cropped up. Small ones and all at the ridge of his back.

It took me a couple of months to figure it out but it was the cat tree. Before, he always hung over the edge so there was nothing against his back. With the new tree, he lays in it and wiggles back and forth and tosses and turns in it all while rubbing against the inside of it, so his fur gets matted, even with regular brushings.

I was able to purchase some clippers and do away with the smallest ones farther away from his skin but there were 4-5 that I didn't feel comfortable trying since he moved around so much and cat's skin is so thin, it's very easy to nick them and they get infections very easily from broken skin. I called the vet and due to restrictions now, they only clip or shave mats if it's medically required and my allergies don't count as medical in this case. I asked if they could refer me to someone that could and they did. They gave me the name of a groomer that they use from time to time.

So, we packed up and drove there in a snowstorm. In October. Which hasn't happened in about a decade. Thank goodness the groomer had a huge sign because all the smaller signs along the road were completely coated in white. My GPS had crapped out too, so we were winging it. I brought both the babies in for nail trimming and to look at Loki's mats and possibly shave him fully.

Once there, the groomer said they could do a lion cut on him. He's shorthaired, technically, but it's thick so in the end he did wind up with a bit of a 'mane'. And his tail is the cutest thing ever. But, the most important thing is, this is the solution I needed! With the bulk of his fur shaved, I was able to snuggle with him in my lap for the first time in a couple of years.

The groomer thought he might be bashful and hide after getting home...embarrassed or whathaveyou...but she doesn't know my boy. All he needs is food and love and he's content. A lot of both, but just those two things, really. A bonus is how soft and velvety he is. AND he still has his kitten spots on the top of his back. He's got leopard spots on his back, tabby stripes on his sides and a raccoon tail! He's so adorbs right now I can't even stand it.

She also said he behaved wonderfully given it was his first time being shaved professionally. He did try to get away but never hissed or scratched or clawed. That's not his style anyway. He was most content with his head pushed into my mask and chest as I rubbed his ears. He's a darling boy, really. And now I can breathe around him. Score! Also, the cost was far less than I anticipated so that made my day, especially when I saw the sign on the counter saying they didn't accept credit cards.

So the plan for the future is to bring them both in every couple of months to shave Loki and trim both of their demon claws. After some time, he'll become more used to it and should fight a little less, especially when he knows he's going to get treats and extra love when he gets home.

I've ordered some dander wipes as well per the groomer's suggestion that will help as his fur grows back in before he's shaved again. Finally, I think we have a solution that will allow me to keep my beloved boy and breathe freely at the same time.

To be thread compliant, they are both snoozing comfortably now. Loki's on the top tier of the cat tree, as he prefers, and Gracie is tucked into the corner of the sofa. The wind's raging outside and the heat's on so it's a lovely day to be inside.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post: