View Single Post
Old 03-25-2021, 07:23 AM   #8045
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Thanked 33,599 Times in 14,923 Posts
homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaMa'am View Post
Hi Pen Pal Types,

Just some snail mail news I thought you all might be interested in:

I heard a story on NPR's Marketplace and it made me think of this group. They were talking about greeting cards during the time of Covid. A greeting card company owner (sorry I don't remember which one, but it wasn't Hallmark) said that sales have increased exponentially for sympathy cards and "thinking of you" type cards.

The increase in sales of sympathy cards is a little macabre, although expected, I suppose. But "thinking of you" cards - maybe it's time to send out some (non-holiday) cards to the people on my holiday card list.

I have also noticed that the greeting card section of the grocery store seems to be crowded lately. I had thought it was just the luck of the draw - lots of people crowding the aisle when I happened to be there - but maybe there's something more to it than that. Everybody misses their friends, of course, but I wonder if hanging out in the card aisle is a way to prolong the trip to the grocery store? - and stay out in public a little longer. Just a thought (not that I recommend lurking in the card aisle during Covid).

I'm not really proposing a group project here, just passing along some news. Hope you all are well -

Georgia
I read similar articles on Bloomberg and Fast Company.

I've always been a card sender, but since Covid I know I've sent even more!

At Halloween in fact I sent several cards and wrote inside " Yup, ghosts and gobbling's are scary, but not as scary as a pandemic"!

I re-connected with two friends from Milwaukee, during Covid, that I had lost track of, and have sent each numerous cards. One is a real movie buff and got most of her DVD's thru the library rental system, but once Covid hit, and that wasn't possible, I sent her several DVD's as well.

To be honest I can't say I've received more cards during Covid, but IMHO "tis better to give than receive" still holds true for me, even during a pandemic!
homoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post: