cathexis

How Do You Identify?:
Trotskyist, Anarcho-syndicalist
Preferred Pronoun?:
They, Them, Their, Sir Bitch
Relationship Status:
open

Thanked 4,710 Times in 1,603 Posts
cathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by homoe View Post
I would say Nancy!

I don't Ronny took a crap without getting the OK from Nancy AND I don't think she gave the OK until she checked with her astrologer first!

It's my own personal opinion but I too have a issue that neither addressed Aids. Both had political and Hollywood ties and could of spearheaded campaigns to draw attention to the crisis and didn't! Thank god Liz Taylor pitched in and helped!
Both Nancy and Ronny ruined a lot of lives. The whole Drug Tzar thing and that high mandatory sentencing for even the smallest amounts. When I owned a townhouse outside of FLL in Pembroke Lakes, my neighbor was smoking a joint on his front porch, a cop came by and arrested him. He was cruising the streets, and this was a two-rance community that was pretty much tucked away. My spouse then could very well have been out there with him. They were good friends. They busted his son, too, but he got out. We were very tight-lipped about the whole thing. She was paranoid about everything after that. I can't blame her.

This guy got 10-20 years in prison for a small amount of weed for personal use. I know for a fact that the weed was all he had. They almost lost their home. The wife and son worked hard to make ends meet. He built up his landscaping business, and she went to work doing some difficult job that made her come home dead tired. When I lost my townhouse in the Great Recession, he still had not come home, which was over ten years. I got acid from another neighbor.

The AIDS Crisis was horrible back then. They needed research money badly. It caused the largest LGBT march in DC. I was in that action and the die-in in front of the SCOTUS. I worked medical for the die-in in case the DC police injured one of the participants. Cops weren't about to touch anyone who had AIDS. Organizers put all the medical staff in isolation gowns, gloves, and goggles if they caused significant injury with bleeding.

That was after the march itself, where the Leather Contingent were sharp. There were Leathermen in chaps, codpiece, shined boots, and a vest. That's it for the bottoms. The Tops wore head-to-toe shined leather. They put the Leatherdykes up front with our biker jackets with chains on our applets. T, The men put those of us sporting floggers and whips in front by the banner that read "Leather Contingent." When we started, all you could hear was the thuddy sound of leather slapping leather and the swinging of chains in unison. Have no photos of that, but the Leather Archives in Chgo has many. I think it's on Clark or used to be, near Women and Children First Books around Foster. A few of us watched the entire march from beginning to end. It was impressive; we returned to the starting point and watched the groups come through. The crowd estimate was 250,000.

It was also the last time the entire NAMES Quilt was displayed, taking up nearly the whole Ellipse. It took about four hours for me to walk it, tears the entire time. Think I did that before the march; we were there four or five days. A good friend, Drusilla (scene name), booked a two-bedroom suite at the Watergate. She is/was a psychiatrist, so she had a little money. She took one-bedroom, I the other. We had a bunch of women staying in the suite's main room on the floor, one of whom brought me my morning coffee...good times from a negative.

The whole point of the march and the SCOTUS action was LGBT rights and money for AIDS research. In the 1980s-90s, I got news of more friend's deaths every week, some by suicide, to avoid the horrible AIDS-related cancers, toxoplasmosis, and PCP. I still see my Leather brothers, who were taken by senseless ignorance. The first time I heard about these new once-a-day wonder pills that make HIV undetectable by lab tests and make it not passed any longer by sex, I wept. How many people could that have saved? Good friends who were lost too young. The Leather community collapsed on itself. My friends and I shuttled condoms from AIDS awareness charities to the Leather bars like The Eagle and bathhouses. The fishbowls were always empty before we could get more.