Superlative Soul Sister

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 34,209 Times in 8,641 Posts
Orema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST Reputation

Received a free viewing of the EPIX channel this weekend.

Watched season 1 of The Godfather of Harlem with Forest Whitaker. It’s the story of Bumpy Johnson, a real-life dope king, during the civil rights movement in the 1960s. The acting is superb but many of the storylines will probably be traumatic for many. Especially BIPOC women. Vivid scenes of rape, drug indulgence, murder. I’m always annoyed when the rape scene of a woman is shown as titillating and arousing. Makes me want to slap someone.

Would love to see the same story told by someone like Ava DuVernay with an emphasis on the relationship between Adam Clayton Powell Jr. and Malcolm X or the relationship between drugs and politics (something few are willing to fully explore). There’s so much to examine during that time period.

I will speed through season 2 today to see what happens but I’m not recommending it.
Orema is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Orema For This Useful Post: