Old 11-27-2009, 02:55 PM   #1
Darth Denkay

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
I'm good with whatever
Relationship Status:
in love and loved

Darth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Default Difference between masculine and male identified?

Here lately in the forums (on two sites) there has been a good bit of focus on female and male identified butches, some of it respectful and some of it not. As I've read through them, I have found myself not exactly sure which "camp" I belong in. As is so common it feels as though it is reducing gender to a binary.

Here's my take on it. I do identify as female in terms of physical sex. I use the terms male and female to specify physical sex (biological) so it goes without saying that I am female. However when it comes to gender, if I'm going to describe what type of butch I am I prefer masculine-identified to male identified. As I write this, it occurs to me that perhaps many (all?) female identified butches do identify as masculine, so maybe this isn't a useful distinction.

If I had to choose one I would go with male-identified, because in my mind that recognizes my masculine identity. I do prefer male pronouns, again because they celebrate me as a masculine individual. Still I don't want to be a man and I don't really identify as male because to me it describes sex.

Thoughts?