View Single Post
Old 08-09-2010, 11:24 PM   #215
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
I’m definitely not yours.

Thanked 32,094 Times in 9,988 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycfembbw View Post
I had a setback to my working out a little over a month ago when I tripped and fell on my left knee (An item had been left in the middle of a store aisle, and I didn't see it.). After getting x-rays that looked fine, I waited ten days and then resumed working out. Unfortunately I felt that everything was all better so I happily went right back into long, high intensity work-outs. On the fourth day of that, my pain returned, so I've been resting since then, and my knee has been improving. Rest is seeming to really help it. Luckily I have this month off work, which is great because at work I am running up and down stairs all day (a five story walk-up school building). During this time of resting it, I have also had an MRI of my knee and this showed no tears but noted "mild arthritic changes." I am not sure what this means and will likely go to a doctor to try and find out what exactly this means in my case. My plan is to wait until I get to the point where it feels pretty much normal but then when I exercise again to take it easy this time. Usually I do very high resistance/intensity with lower speed on bikes and elliptical machines. I am going to try reversing the equation and doing lower intensity with higher speeds instead. My thought is that this will make it easier on my joints. I'm someone who is heavyset yet loves to exercise. Lifting weights and doing cardio just gives me a great mood lift and also helps me to manage my weight to some degree. Anyway, given my injury, I thought I would ask if anyone has any advice? Thank you for taking the time to read this. I have found people on this thread to be very wise and supportive.
I hope your knee gets better Jennifer!!!!! ((( YOU )))

I just started a new regimen today: I'm off for three weeks until my final semester that begins the end of August (leading into September) and I live about a mile (or more) from a great place to do a morning walk! The hiking trail surrounds a heavily forested golf course and it's about a two mile distance, doing the course one time. So I walk to the site, do two laps and then walk home - for a total of about 4-5 miles. I wanted to jumpstart my physical activity again because when I am busy with homework duties, I often end up sitting for hours just to read -- and then if that isn't enough, I often sit for hours just typing out my items that are due. What I consume for food is heathy and I get plenty of water in (during the course of the day - about 2 qts?), so I am focusing on revving up my exercise and since today was day one - my legs were on fire today, but they are better tonight. I think I will do a series of stretches before I head out in the morning and then do a little rest break between my laps and stetch a bit more, then see if this helps socialize me into my new routine. I've decided that if I can lose about 25 pounds between now and the end of October and then see if I can lose another 25 by the Christmas/New Years holidays, I figure that I will be in the best shape I have been in quite awhile. My wieght tends to yo-yo, but I think it's due to inactivity and having to sit for extended periods of time. I hope my plan of action succeeds (where weight loss is concerned) and also, to help me to feel better and to instill a stronger ethic for taking care of my physical health needs.
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post: