Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Thanked 10,830 Times in 3,200 Posts
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rook View Post
Hi,
I don't have a Degree in Islamic Studies *yet*, but I was raised muslim, Salaf..
I won't pretend to know it all or be the voice of authority, since my mother happily snuck behind my fathers back continuously so I could have a wealth of knowledge in other Religions/Covens so I could make a decision {if any} later in Life...
Any mistakes I make, I will correct if I can.

That being said,
Practicing Muslims everywhere are observing Ramadan at Press time of this Reply, it will Continue until September 8th.
Considering the Islamic Calendar is Lunar, the dates of different "Holidays" {there's not many} tend to rotate, I loved when it all landed in December..
It's easier to Fast/pray in cool weather {shorter days too}...
During the Last Week of Ramadan, devout Muslims will actually Camp out in their Respective Mosques..
There's food to break fast at sunset, I used to eat Figs , Dates and Milk dabbed with Honey to break Fasting.
All Muslims involved pray until the wee hours before Dawn, in hopes of Lailat ul-Kadr..The specific night The Prophet Mohammed {p.b.u.h} received the First verses of the Qu'ran, al-Fatiha,

Women are, of course, encouraged to stay home, but it is not expressly forbidden for them to spend this time at the Mosque,
The reason for this is, if she's a Mother, her children will need tending {some hire babysitters} so, rather than have the burden of worrying over the children instead of praying, they're "excused", they do pray, and it's well known, you do not need a Mosque to pray..
The only time it's expressly forbidden for a woman to attend is if she's having her period.
Can't touch the Qu'ran either.
Can't have sex even after sunset until she's "done".
Mind you, there are Feminist Muslims, and even they can see the logic for the most part.
Some will ....and I've witnessed this...take their kids with them, to participate.
Even with a daycare, it was slightly distracting, and that is upsetting to some, because they must concentrate on Prayer and Services.
Some Mosques allow 'mingling', others don't...For the same reason Orthodox Jews don't allow women in specific parts of the synagogue {and the Western Wall}.
Personally, I will choose a segregated congregation.
The purpose of the segregation, again...Modesty , for Both..
Not simply because they're Misogynistic Patriarchal piggies....
In fact, if a gentleman accidentally wanders into the womens area {or a teenage boy is dared}, if the ladies are high strung about modesty {and they usually are}, it'll resemble a chicken coop with a Fox inside...
Best comparison I can come up with.

I do approve the construction of the Mosque near Ground Zero {I know, different thread}, it's a slap in the face to all Extremist/Fanatic/Delusional who want to preach Intolerance, Hatred towards the "Devil Amrikans" and claim the U.S. is anti-Islam...
I was actually stunned when I visited Memphis, Tenn. that there was a Madrassah {Islamic School}...

The Prophet Mohammed{p.b.u.h}, is Universally considered {within Islam anyways} as The Seal of the Prophets..
Many muslims will point out, Muslims do not worship the Prophet, but rather accord him with all the Due respect of a Prophet of G-d.
Muslims also believe that Islam is Not new not by a long shot, it was merely...rekindled.
The Bible, Torah/Talmud are also to be respected..
After all, same G-d, same Message {mostly}, different Language...

G-d Almighty = English, Hashem =Judaic, Allah = arabic
Some might dispute this, but if you find an unbiased Arabic Studies/Religious Studies Professor, unless they're atheist and have a chip on their shoulder, oftentimes they'll say the same.

What Laerkin said is true...
Whether you believe it or not, Feminism took place within Islam well before the suffragist movement, that a woman is Niqabi, because of supposed family pressures?
In some case, yes..Particularly in Countries where they were forced into it {Afghanistan}..
Elsewhere, quite a few actually Choose to wear Veils, I've witnessed fights because the parents were Hanafi, and the daughters ascribed to Hanbali..
Honestly, if a Nun/Monk can wear veils, and at some Convents live Cloistered, why not a Muslim?...
The Prophet eliminated infanticide of girls..
Hygienic speaking, yeah Muslims had the upper hand based on wash ritual...
Before every prayer, especially the primary 5 {yes there's more}, hands, face, mouth & feet must be washed..
After sex, birth and Menses, a shower is mandatory {preferably Alone, or it defeats the purpose} Like a Mikvah..
you don't step into a mosque if u haven't {Muslims anyways}.
A proper sign of respect to the Mosque visited, women wear a loose veil {if you're non muslim}, gentleman respect the womens area and stay out, please take off shoes.Trust me, the carpets are Cleam {unless u are visiting a Poor towns Mosque, and even then, they'll take care of the mosque before anything else.

Another "popular" issue would be Polygamy...
Yes, it's permitted, but with such astonishingly tight guidelines, nowadays, it's not worth the headache, unless you're flithy rich and can provide EQUALLY in Every way to all your wives..
If you can't, u better stay with 1, work from there.

As much as I might piss off a few Jewish friends {I don't mean to}
As a kid, I used to marvel at so many similarities orthodox Islam + orthodox Judaism have...
When I was told of the conflict between Ibrahim's wife and servant, I was mesmerized and pointed out
"So, they're technically brothers?....
Youth -shrug-

Thank you so much for this. I was hoping that Muslim members would bring enlightenment from personal learning and perspectives. I especially like what you and Laerkin talk about concerning women- really helps to understand some of the cultural aspects and even the political. So much certainly fits with a lot of what I experienced with a catholic upbrining, actually. and I doubt that anyone can not see the very patriarchal and negative treatment of women in Chritianity and Judism historically. Makes me think of people in glass houses... . Seems to always be the case. obviously, as in these faiths, feminism has found a way to reach out within Muslim thought. There are so many different followings in major religions that are formed.

Do you have any idea if school public curriculums are gaining good information about the Muslim faith to teach students? This just seems to be a very important time for this to happen. In retirement, and with a grown child, I am not as informed about this. I do know from my son that his daughters have received very little information at school (one in middle school, the other in high school) about the Muslim faith even though comparative religion courses are offered.
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post: