The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

Awesome links, Selenay. It definitely highlights the over-abundance of attention towards the male purchaser or male person in advertising or signage. Perpetuating the image that woman equals housewife or parent continues a misogynist skew in advertising. I remember a guy I knew who took offense at a commercial that showed the woman smarter than the guy and showed him as being rather dumbfounded about something. He fault that no one should be shown as smarter than the other. And yet, when the reverse was displayed (often showing a woman unable to make a decision or otherwise downplayed in some fashion) he didn't voice this as vehemently.

http://www.talkleft.com/story/2009/10/25/13729/114 <--- someone also sent me this. It's interesting that in this form of insurance (at least in Colorado) woman are forced to pay more while car insurance has men pay more (although it is, in part, due to statistics showing that men -- particularly younger ones -- are more likely to cause accidents and get speeding tickets). Gender-rating is actually banned in a few states but only a few. (11 in total). This idea that women go more often may be true (men are often told to suck it up and "be a man"), it doesn't mean that they should pay 50% more or be denied health care because of a previous condition like domestic violence (uh... HELLO?!).

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote