christie

How Do You Identify?:
A Force with which to be reckoned
Preferred Pronoun?:
just be nice...
Relationship Status:
I call her Mine

Thanked 2,476 Times in 706 Posts
christie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputation

I don't think any evolved Southerner disputes that racism is alive and well - and as others have pointed out, its not indigenous to the South. Perhaps the issue is that Southern folks tend to speak their minds and wear their "isms" as a badge of honor.

My family, while not officially affiliated with any of the groups who think that 400tc sheets are better costumes than bed linens, is racist. Its not just against African Americans, but against anyone who isn't Caucasian, Baptist, Heterosexual, and Conservative. Imagine their dismay when I use the outspokenness taught at their knee and my very existence forces them to be silent about the "queers, fags, dykes (insert any other derogatory term here)."

My brotherinlaw (Jess's brother) proudly displays his confederate flag and it IS his symbol of racism and oppression. I thought that for Christmas we might give him a rainbow flag to run up along side of it... LOL

I don't think that the use of "illegal" aliens in the workforce is a Southern issue. I am sure the practice is a national issue...

Back to the all good things Southern... food... now there is something to celebrate! Nothing better than a slab of Memphis-style dry ribs washed down with the "house wine of the south"... iced tea so sweet its like instant diabetes! Kentucky bourbon... don't even get me started on my ongoing affair with Jim Beam backed by Sundrop soda (If you aren't familiar with Sundrop, lemme know and I will be glad to educate you!)

Southern women... my oh my... who else but Dixie Carter as Julia Sugarbaker could tell you that you are the most ignorant fucktard on the face of the planet in that melodic southern drawl while dressed in a lovely powersuit and make you LIKE it??!?!?!? Anyone who knows me in real life, knows that I have that drawl and it seems to disguise the sharp tongue and makes the everpresent sarcasm more palatable... I like to think of it as camouflage.

I'm sure that there are many things that are associated Southern that we should not be proud of... but like with everything else, I don't get to pick only the parts that I like... being Southern, to me, means that I take the good and the bad and try to live my truth. Southern is just another descriptor to me... and one I wear proudly.

Christie
christie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to christie For This Useful Post: