Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,958 Times in 13,923 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

I am all about helping the cats, but there is some substance to the no feed rule.

Being hungry is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the health of these poor animals. I personally can't stand to watch them fight parasites and injuries. They are a huge threat to domesticated cats as well. There are many places where if you feed an animal, you are considered it's owner and will be held for lack of vaccinations not to mention the property damage they can do.

My neighbor *cat lady* fed a few ferals. For her kindness the front end of my new SUV was ruined from scratches, the entire end of the block wreaked of cat spray and the feral population grew in size very quickly. I could not go outside in my own yard. Several times cats were killed/mauled when an unsuspecting neighbor started a car with a kitty laying on the engine for warmth. Others were injured over fights and mating rights. My neighbor many houses away left a crack in his truck window, yup cat got in there and sprayed... gross!

In the end, hundreds of cats were taken to the shelter when finally something was done about it. The entire time she felt she was caring for the animals. Her heart in the right place of course, but she did more harm than good.

Not sure what the answer is, but I can see how the no feed ban would come to be. Feeding them is a bandaid to a major problem, what more can be done? I do care too.
girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote